Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Still up tried youtubing some videos of sanding gelcoat mostly for the best process and # of grit to use a lot of the videos were to revive old gelcoat and not to sand down paint brush streeks

I think i still have some #120 or #240 i will give it a go in the morning if im still up

Also looked how to tint the gelcoat can i tint a full 4L tin and put the lid back on and use at any time in the future or must the tint be added just before mixing in the mekp?

Late night ramblings... having a rough one

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Tinting is like paint, you just add it to the full can, it does not "go off"

Have you tried any paint stripper on a small section to see if it is paint?

Not sure about applying heat as I have no idea about damaging the underlying glass.

I think I started at 80 grit, then 220 grit on my transom. Try the finer grade first. No point in getting big scratches if the finer stuff is just as quick. Do test patches until you find out what works. Trying the whole hull at once is a recipe for stuffing up and increasing your workload.

Always remember the first rule of fibreglass. Anything can be fixed with time, effort and $.

I have to say I thought the Billions of tiny cracks looked like paint to me.

I to think paint gel coat generally runs longer fine cracks

The suggestion to test a spot with paint stripper seems like a good idea, very little cost and it might save weeks of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I have to say I thought the Billions of tiny cracks looked like paint to me.
    Silly me, I didn't think of that, trouble with getting older is you only want to remember certain things and forget others. Yes, that is more in line with paint than gelcoat.

Cheers guys i'll head off to bunnings for a small tin of paint stripper i really hope that works as i have the same stuff all under my hull

I'll get some #240 sand paper while there, do u hand sand the gelcoat streaks or do u use the orbital?

Looks like its paintAttachment 121458

gazza keep a roll of glad wrap handy, as you brush the stripper on, cover it and push all of the air out, leave it for an hour or so, remove glad wrap and pressure clean it off, will make for lighter work.

Thanks Cobbo the gel is drying out really fast

That’s the idea of the plastic, when it dries it stops working, keep it from drying you get far better results, oh and get a razor blade and slice up the existing paint before putting the stripper on, with all the cracks your boat has it might not make a difference but it can’t hurt

Thanks Cobbo i will do it when i can buy some paint stripper in bulk

Pod came out ok looks a bit lumpy on the back as i laid the gelcoat on in blobs and it barely smeared as its so thickAttachment 121459Attachment 121460Attachment 121461

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Looks like its paintAttachment 121458

See, weeks of pain potentially avoided by calming the #### down and thinking first. Hopefully its all paint and you're away. The kicker was when you said the underside of the hull looked the same. That doesn't get anywhere near the same sun damage as a deck or hull side so another indication it might just be paint.