Thread: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Re: Vintage Inboard Cruisers to Centre Console Conversion

Picked up a diamond disc for the grinder going to remove the fairing cracks on both sides and fair again will be using epoxy and qcell for fairing

Hope this little disc last it cost a fortuneAttachment 121430Attachment 121431Attachment 121432

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Where you after a cutting disc or a grinding disc Gazza??

Quote Originally Posted by Cox76y View Post
    Where you after a cutting disc or a grinding disc Gazza??
    Hey Cox just a disc to remove the fairing that lsst more than 5mins

I wouldn't try & use that disk for grinding Gazza.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I wouldn't try & use that disk for grinding Gazza.
    whoops, straight through the hull the first time it's used, hopefully Gazza posts some pics when that happens.

His boat is too wide for the gate... This might help narrow it a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    whoops, straight through the hull the first time it's used, hopefully Gazza posts some pics when that happens.
    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app

Surely the bit where it is labeled "dry cutting" and "cuts all" would indicate it isn't a grinding disc.

If you were chasing a grinding disc take this back before you use it and get your $20.00 back

Matt

Lets see how it goes in an hour or two... grinding down is the plan, no rubbing up and down...

Packet was ripped open so no taking it back i dont wanna look like an idiot taking stuff back either too paranoid

Do you have a flack jacket and military style full face helmet?

At first i started gouging didnt really have a feel for how to use it but a constand down motion with medium pressure and it rips all the gelcoat off in one pass

I done 1square meter in 20mins

The pinkish layer is undercoat and the diamond disc barely touches it

How are you going to get it all smooth again ready for painting?

Now you've just added another 60 odd man hours in repairs do you want to stop and have a think about what the hell you are actually doing?

This was purely cosmetic and totally unnecessary in terms of getting the boat back on the water. A more useful activity would have been wet sanding the pod or working on the floor and stringers.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I was going to refair it i had this planned from the beginning, take it back to undercoat tha fair than paint

The gelcoat is over 1mm thick on this hull its incredibly hard and almost impossible to sand with 60grit as i tried in my first video

The only way was to remove all of the gelcoat as the cracks went the full depth

O have the down time at the moment 2-4 weeks of nothing cant do anymore work to the boat i have no supplies

Supplies to fix the sides are a $45 tin of resin and a bag of qcell, sand paper etc.. that i can afford for now so it keeps me going

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Now you've just added another 60 odd man hours in repairs do you want to stop and have a think about what the hell you are actually doing?

This was purely cosmetic and totally unnecessary in terms of getting the boat back on the water. A more useful activity would have been wet sanding the pod or working on the floor and stringers.
    CT im doing a full rebuild it may not be perfect but i am not leaving the millions of cracks on the hull, the plan from the beggining was to fix this and so i am doing it as above post

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post

Surely at this point you would be both across the fact that Gazfish is a run and gun kind of operator. Of course he doesn't have a plan to get the surface ready to be finished and of course his time and money would have been better spent elsewhere. But that's just not how he operates. #### shit up and ask questions and ignore the answers later is the modus operandi

You do you Gaz. F the haters
    Matt