Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me catch squid in ppb

Help me catch squid in ppb

Hi. Looking for some help to get into some squid. Have tried drifting but ended up losing my only 2 squid jigs in pink and no squid. I have done some research but have a few questions that are still unanswered or need local info.

Questions :

How do squid look on the down scan? I hv a simrad go7. Or how to find them or know you are over them?

What specific jig type works the best? Size, Colour, brand. I'm trying not to spend a bomb so looking to buy a couple of jigs first.

Thank you so much!

Ps. I launch off werribee south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Help me catch squid in ppb

I like the Yakamito jigs over shallow weed beds (but that's Moreton bay.).

Moose Marine posted this on facebook coupla days ago.

Any amount of squid out the front of Mornington in 2-5 meters of water

And also off rye straight out the front over Capel sound and up on top of sand banks

I reckon forget "looking" for Squid with a sounder and just work likely looking spots with jigs, Squid are pretty simple to catch if you are in the right sort of territory.

I don't sound up squid, not sure if you can see them on the sounder ? Just look for weedy or rock bottom.
    I've caught a couple around Altona but there's more prolific amounts in the southern PPB. I've done well around Queenscliff and Mornington around Fishermans Beach.
    Are you land based or on a boat ? I'm always on my boat.
    I use el'cheapo jigs off various colours I usually find the tiger striped pattern does the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I reckon if he is using a sounder there's a good chance he is in a boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I reckon if he is using a sounder there's a good chance he is in a boat!
    Ha ha yes

Ok. Thanks. So I will prob get my jigs from k mart. Haha.

I from werribee south. Not so keen to motor to south or to the east though.

Btw, how does weed or rocky bottoms look like? I usually just see a flat bottom on the sounder. But when I'm real shallow like 2 m, I can see sand with patches of dark weed.

From Werribee, you can head north off altona and wlliamstown on the rock grounds. "easy to spot on sounder.....and with your naked eye but beware of depths at differnt tides. find a drift that you like that is safe. i like to drift in around 1.5mt-2.5mt or so and then repeat . on your sounder the sea bed coverage in those depths is very narrow.. so basically uou sounding directly under your boat no more than a few feet wide. so it will appear very bright and red "hard" and bumpy . but truthfully it will be hard to miss your over that sort of bottom.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by SCTSCT View Post

Btw, how does weed or rocky bottoms look like? I usually just see a flat bottom on the sounder. But when I'm real shallow like 2 m, I can see sand with patches of dark weed.

Yes central and northern PPB is mostly a mud desert but you can certainly find reefs, etc in shallow - in most areas. On a sunny day you can see the squid on the bottom and especially when they follow your jig. Usually a few will follow when you hook one up and you can see them, on a sandy bottom you see their silhouette easily, Good advice from Moose.

You're getting all hung up on using the sounder, turn it off for a bit and look over the side, you say you have seen some sand patches and weed, that's about as good as it gets for Squid, try there!

Ok. So have to go as far north as Altona? The furthest I have gone is south of point cook marine sanctuary park so far :-)

Btw is big w or Kmart better for squid jigs? I suppose I shd be getting 2.5 size with stripy pattern and prob pink or red to start off with?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Sorry, misread, thought you said"pub"

Ok. So have to go as far north as Altona? The furthest I have gone is south of point cook marine sanctuary park so far :-)

Btw is big w or Kmart better for squid jigs? I suppose I shd be getting 2.5 size with stripy pattern and prob pink or red to start off with?

my local tackle shop has Squid jigs much cheaper than both those department stores, plus you can buy good ones too if you want, and get a bit of info on where to catch them maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    my local tackle shop has Squid jigs much cheaper than both those department stores, plus you can buy good ones too if you want, and get a bit of info on where to catch them maybe.
    Where is the shop?