Thread: Thraedfin ( King salmon )

Thraedfin ( King salmon )

Average size caught ??..

Re: Thraedfin ( King salmon )

Oh well at least the legal size is 60cm , heard they have been caught up to and above 50lbrs??..

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Hey Volvo, I just went through all the details I have for salmon I have caught from the Brisbane river. I have 63 lengths of fish and only recorded weights for 39 of those fish.
    Salmon under 60cm - 1
    Salmon between 60cm and 80cm - 0
    Salmon between 80cm and 90cm - 5
    Salmon between 90cm and 100cm - 23
    Salmon between 100cm and 110cm - 24
    Salmon between 110cm and 120cm - 8
    Salmon 120cm and bigger - 2
    With the 3 biggest fish being 117cm, 120cm and 123cm and the 3 smallest at 55cm, 82cm and 83cm.

Average size works out at 100.5cm

Weights of fish are between 3kg and 11.9kg with the average being 6.6kg, the average length of just the fish that were weighed was 102cm.

Have heard of salmon up to 130cm being caught in this area, but even one that size would fall very short of 50lb.
    Being such a large/long tail, it would be a monster fish to hit 50lb.

Thats kindly appreciated Jackson , main reason for asking is ive only ever caught four of these buggars . Three , years back in the bends up this way n small buggars too. Last week had the pleasure of hooking n landing a whopper !! Or at least both myself n fishing buddy thought so when landed.
    Mates tinny is aprox2.3-2.4 wide n can tell you laying on the deck he seemed toreach a fair way across that span and just guessing without having any weight tools he was well over the twenty odd pound mark but like I said that is guessing ??, hence my query re these fish which I tend to put more time into.
    Will upload a pic later sometime and have been told by pro fishos that " Mate they can grow big or as tall as you " Which made it interesting for me to research.
    Took lots of patience a d good sized live mullet for the job but paid of or just good ole luck.
    Took a good long run under the tinny trying to rub the WTF Gliss (42lb) under the hull n thought he was gone for sure at one stage.
    Good luck or justcarefulleness who knows ??. Main thing is he came onboard at days end .
    Again thanks for the feedback.

A quick check through the records list of the Australian National Sportfishing Association shows the heaviest weighed in by an ANSA member is 16.35kg. That one was caught in the Burnett River back in 1979.

cheers

Jeff