Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust proofing trailer ideas

Rust proofing trailer ideas

Hello,

I am currently building a trailer to replace my severly rusted trailer that came with the boat I purchased. I had a fair bit of rect rhs at home, and brought a few metres more to complete the project. My budget is very stretched at the moment, and cant afford to get it Galvanised dipped at the end. Its basically, a quick fix with a aim of 3-5 years use from it. Being only $300 into it, with spare jocket wheels,rollers etc etc, im happy enoguh to just DIY a rust proof system. I am going to fish oil fill the sealed crossmembers, and it has been made from Galv rhs anyhow. SO i have a very basic rustproof already. Ive been looking into POR 15, as a protective coat. Does anyone have any experience with this product in Australia. AT $120 for 1 litre, im happy to pay that,if its going to be worth it, otherwise im just considering, etch priming the gal, as i have spare etch primer at home, then just brushing a few thick coats of a Killrust or similar galvanised paint over. Combined with regular and good washing, and the oil filled crossmembers, this should see a good few years out.

I know Hot Dipped Gal is the way to go, But again,its outside reach at the moment.

So, Is POR15 worth the money ?

Any other convenient and cheap DIY methods ?

thankyou

Re: Rust proofing trailer ideas

If the pieces are already galvanised you could clean the welds and use a zinc stick first as this will be the equivalent of galvanising, at least on the outside. Inside is a whole different story, I used Xtroll to protect it, a Shutz gun is needed to spray it in there, filling your members with any sort of fluid you will need to make sure it doesn't leak as when launching you will leave a lovely slick on the water which the authorities don't like. A mate sprays his trailer with Inox and got pinged when police, qld tpt and maritime boys all did a blitz up here last year as it washes off and left a great slick.

Have you priced galvanising it.

Edit, I have a Shutz gun you can borrow, I'm on the Sunshine Coast, where abouts are you located.

I've been looking at Rust Bullet for overcoating a couple of boat trailers and a set of drive on truck ramps that sit out in the weather. If it is half as good as the speel says, it is good gear.
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...omotive-Review
    http://www.rustbullet.com.au/home

TMC

Galvanised RHS is very light gal, they call it "Duragal" and it will rust in salt water, especially where you weld it, probably the best method is to weld then use those gal sticks, or cold gal paint, neither of which are real good, but marginally better than just paint, coat the weld well with a couple of coats, then paint the whole thing and hope!

I had one filled with sump oil and 2 Pac tar epoxy painted. All good. I think any paint even single pack enamel (turps) would be ok. And just sand and touch up any spots once every 18 months or so.

Hello All,
    Over time I have tried, brush on gal, Penetrol, Rust converter, fisholene and Tectyl.
    Hot dip gal is far too expensive as in several thousand for a 14' trailer.
    Brush on gal, penetrol and rust converter went rusty in a few weeks.
    Tectyl is doing better.
    I once asked an engineer who designed and built outdoor steel structures what to use.
    "Tell me when you find something that works and we will both be very rich"
    I think that the best we can do is delay the inevitable.

First coat Xtroll Rust Conqueror then a coat of Xtroll Silver Or Xtroll Metalguard Great products used on a lot of government structures bridges etc. Cheers COL

Ok. thankyou for the replies and the offer of the gun. Im in Nsw,and a little far to travel. yes, duragal is not as thick as the hot dipped Australian gal. It costs approx $3.50kg + Gst for the hot dip, but they cant dip it over existing gal, and my nearest gal place is 4 hours way. the trailer would weigh around 200-250kgs, and for the purpose and the fact i have done it cheaply with mostly spare parts and steel, Im happy to go without the dipped gal for now, and this particular project. Im also equally aware of having oil filled, and the authorities not liking it. personally, i dont want to harm the environment anyway, hence the Fish oil, and not sump oil. I think i will stick with my intial cheap method of cold gal all welds, etch prime whole trailer, then cold gal whole trailer in 2-3 thick coats, with regular washing and touch ups as required. Thankyou again for the replies.

Cold gal is no wear as good as xtroll I used it on truck gates & could only get 1 year & needed redoing xtroll lasted up to 3 years

Once you have applied a few good thick coats of cold gal, hit it with a few coats of lanolin. It will soak into the porous surface of the cold gal and make it water proof - the water beads off like a freshly polished car. Re coat the lanolin every 6-12 months. Last trailer repair I did this way was still good 3 years later when I sold the rig. I oil filled the main beams up the cut point and everything I welded in (which was what used to get wet when launching) was open section.

Ausfish Platinum Member

RHS or SHS has got to be the worst material you can build a boat trailer out of, but as you are trying to use materials you already have , you are stuck with it. A mate built a SHS section years ago as a budget exercise, and thought he could fix the internal issues by filling it with sump oil and plugging the ends. He was religions with the outside surfaces, but water still made it's way inside the SHS, where it sat under the oil--result, rusted through from the inside, at the bottom. I would have thought agitation while driving would have taken care of that, but no.
    I am about to take delivery of a new trailer under the new boat, and the whole thing, with the exception of the forward draw bar section, is either channel or angle. Easy to manage corrosion issues. As for coating them with some kind of oil, it is a really ugly look when you back a trailer in treated like that-bloody great oil slick, I imagine the Transport marine inspectors would pull you up on it, and they watch a lot of boats launching and retrieving over here.

I priced a top of the line ally/ ss brakes trailer and it was only 1/3 more than a cheap brand gal trailer. They're getting so cheap I think gal will become a thing of the past.

thanx for the extra replies, I like old mates idea of a few coats of lanolin over the Cold Gal, i think I'll give this a try, and ill investigate the Xtroll also. thanx again, Its 95% done. Im pretty happy with it, made it to suit the boat, and of no plans, Just a basic idea from seeing boat trailers the last few years. It has Cost me a total of around $470 in total, that includes many new rollers,brackets,leaf springs and a winch, and for a 6m trailer im pretty happy. Just need to coat it now, and the rego on top.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I spray my trailer with Lanox regularly and it keeps the rust away. 11 year old trailer still with no major corrosion. Still got the original springs.

For the inside I made up some irrigation hose with sprayers going into each cross beam and plug it into the tap to wash.

Also every year or so I get the air compressor out and spray it all over (in and out) with Tectyl.

here's a little clip of my irrigation hose.

So far so good.

PAint, paint and more paint, then 6 months later more paint. 2 pak is better. Does not matter what you use, regular re-application (especially as soon as you see rust) is the trick. I use old second hand 2 pack epoxy on my yard trolley, as did the previous owner. I also add tectyl 506 on top of that. Every few weeks I will go around and paint on some more tectyl if it looks like its getting thin. If I see some rust break through (which is rare but it happens) then hit it with the wire wheel on the grinder, clean it up with solvent and repaint follower by tectyl 506.

BTW, oil filled rhs is fine until you need to weld in a new bit at a later date. Previous owner of my boat oil filled it, and I want to do a mod to the trolley but am left wondering how to go about it now.