Thread: Boat Insurance - NSW

Boat Insurance - NSW

Hi all,

Just wondering who is the best value for money when it comes to Boat Insurance in NSW? When we bough the boat 12 months ago it came with Nautilus Marine Boat Insurance but i'm sure there are better alternatives out there. So wondering for those of you who are in NSW who do you insure with and why?

I have a 5.92m Tahoe Q4 Bowrider.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Re: Boat Insurance - NSW

Making a claim tends to show up what is a good insurance & what isn't . Read the fine print on what is covered & under what circumstance.
    I've used NRMA for the last 12 years & have had the need to use them a few times - twice there were no issues & they were helpful / quick. .... More recently there seem to be more hoops to jump through , market value replacement as opposed to new for old - which was previously the case. ..... but they are still paying out - Yes you pay a bit more but .....
    My new boat is with Club Marine - just for convenience when financing the boat . ...... Club marine are cheaper than NRMA. I can share a previous horror experience with Club Marine though ... but wont .

I'll go back to what I said first up - Good value will only be determined at the point of when you need to make a claim.

It was only yesterday I was talking to a insurance investigator & I was a little shocked at what scenarios will not see you covered . eg An electric motor has to be listed separately & be padlocked to the boat (don't assume that the motor will be covered as accessories) . Sounders that are not fixed permanently will not be covered for theft ( you may get by if the sounder has knobs that lock) So if someone pinches your sounder at the campground = good luck . If the boat has a lockable locker / cabin put your sounder in there ..... but then you need to insure these as extras / accessories - the same goes for your fishing / diving gear . This bloke was basically saying if someone takes something out of your boat & if it wasn't properly secured ..... you wont get covered.
    In the past I know of people that have had sounders pinched / rods taken out of the boat ..... & their claims were honoured - times have changed.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO