Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FG Knot

Re: FG Knot

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Crusader View Post
    I think that's right moonlighter, not pulling hard on the knot to pull everything tight before cutting the excess leader can allow the knot to just unravel and sounds like the most likely reason for the original posters issues
    Cheers
    Rod
    Reading through all of the above posts it sounds quite likely ey ..Will have to stress the knot a tad more before applying the bait and dropping overboard lol.

one thing that i have not noticed anyone mention is that the number of wraps made at the start of this knot. I have tested this knot numerous times on the line testing machine in our fishing club. To many wraps can also weaken the knot in a sense-yes to many is bad not better, to many wraps dont allow the braid to pull down tight.the criss cross pattern tightens closest to the end being pulled but doesn't tighten the wraps as tight at the far end ,if to many have been made-hope that makes sense. what can happen is now the knot seams good but after a bit of stretch back and forth the wraps that were not fully tight at the start begin to send the slack down the line causing the knot to let go.-

Quote Originally Posted by dan12345 View Post
    one thing that i have not noticed anyone mention is that the number of wraps made at the start of this knot. I have tested this knot numerous times on the line testing machine in our fishing club. To many wraps can also weaken the knot in a sense-yes to many is bad not better, to many wraps dont allow the braid to pull down tight.the criss cross pattern tightens closest to the end being pulled but doesn't tighten the wraps as tight at the far end ,if to many have been made-hope that makes sense. what can happen is now the knot seams good but after a bit of stretch back and forth the wraps that were not fully tight at the start begin to send the slack down the line causing the knot to let go.-
    Mentioned in post #4, I found more than 15 wraps in 6lb to 12 braid range used to cause some failures. Don't use it in anything offshore much so can't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Mentioned in post #4, I found more than 15 wraps in 6lb to 12 braid range used to cause some failures. Don't use it in anything offshore much so can't comment.
    your right it was mentioned-guess i just elaborated a bit of why excess wraps causes failure- for braid from 4lb to 20lb i use 8-10 wraps and haven't had any problems so far. i fish 20lb braid to 20lb leader offshore for plastics fishing with 10 wraps and no problems. for heaver i have gone to 12 wraps with no problems as of yet.
    cheers

G'day
    I don't count the wraps just look at the distance and hadn't thought about problems with excess wraps. I have done many that I suspect have had an excessive number but I reckon I've had no problems as my method puts tension on every wrap as it's made. Bit lucky I guess
    Cheers
    Rod

In light line, what you should do, is do 6 of the wraps, pull the knot up, then do the other six and pull up both, this way the knot stays tight over the full length of the wrapping.

In fact I have done 18 wraps in very light line this way, pulling it up tight each 6 wraps, for several years now. No failures at all.

if you watch this video of the way I used to tie this knot, you will see that they stop halfway to pull the braid up by working it up and down until it pulls tight on the leader. This is what i am talking about.

(the method in this video approaches the knot by tying the braid around the mono, the other (now my preferred way) is to tie the mono around the braid, and I find that method quicke4 and easier to tie. Either method ends up producing the same knot, just done a different way.)

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Took me a long time to move away from an improved Albright with locks on each end however very glad I did. The FG is awesome and is the most slippery knot through small end guides. I hold main line in my teeth.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I use 3kg braid for flathead fishing with 12lb leader and find it best if I do 22 wraps, in the boat I wrap the braid around a hair pin several times and then slip it onto the end of my shorts and then put the rod tip away from me till the braid is tight, the fg knot is a bugger to do on a slack line.