Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I leave my catch in my baitwell?

Can I leave my catch in my baitwell?

I don't have ice easily available and I do not have an esky. Is it legal for me to keep my catch in the bait well? I might fish for 3-4 hours and I don't think killing the fish and leaving it in the kill tank for 3-4 hours is going to be good. The reason I asked is that fishing regulation book says that if I intend to keep the fish I should despatch them immediately and put them on ice.
    Also I hv not been catching big fish. Just small salmon and flatheads. They fit easily in my small bait well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Can I leave my catch in my baitwell?

Have you ever watched one of the Bass or Bream tournaments on tv they put them in the live well and throw them back if they upgrade, also plenty of fishing comps have live weigh ins. So I would have thought that you could do what ever you want with a legal fish.

Regulation, where would that be. You could try the live bait tank as I know of people doing that with snapper up here (not my cup of tea) but for what your doing a couple of those freezer ice blocks, they come in various sizes, could replace ice if it's only 3 to 4 hrs.

The regulation book would be advice on the subject, not binding. The only problem I can see is if the fish die in the bait well which is a possibility given it is small. The well then go off if left for several hours.

I had a good look through the Vic rec fishing handbook. No doubt it will be different state to state - because nothing is ever aligned nationally.
    Anyway there’s no direct mention of keeping your catch alive or dispatching them. However the rules do say in relation to live baitfish, that no underside fish can be kept as baitfish - makes sense, but following through on the baitfish idea, ie if you’re allowed to keep baitfish alive then you should be able to keep your catch alive until you can put it on ice and/or dispatch it,,,

As long as it’s humane, like you wouldn’t want to put a 10kg snapper in a 15 litre live bait tank,,,,

Ive kept a lot of the flatties I’ve caught in the live bait tank, they are very hardy fish.
    I’ve asked the question before about keeping slimies alive because they drop after 10 minutes if you don’t keep the flush going.

Pretty sure my live bait tanks hold about 40 litres each ?
    I’ll always try to take ice though it’s the best idea.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Why not freeze 2 or 3 plastic soft drink bottles of water for ice. Works a treat.
    Duck

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfish View Post
    Why not freeze 2 or 3 plastic soft drink bottles of water for ice. Works a treat.
    Duck
    Yeah I’ve got that, I’ve usually got about 4 x 1 litre bottles of frozen water in a 40 L esky, stowed under the console with all the other gear, It keeps the snacks and drinks chilled ok but for keeping fish - ice cubes are best by far. The bottles lose their cooling effect pretty quick after some of the ice within melts.
    I’ve got a 50 litre 12v fridge to but it’s too big to safely stow anywhere on the boat - especially in decent chop.
    I guess (depending on the catch) you could fillet and bag ‘em then put them in the esky with the ice bottles.
    That’s what I need next, an ice cube machine on the boat ha ha. Then I would have an excuse for bundy rum on the boat

For frozen bottles I use the ones for some orange juices as they are square less likely to puncture and stack better, I've used 2 half litre ones for a mornings fish and found them satisfactory. I also use them in the food esky as they take up less room than round sift drink bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Ye
    I guess (depending on the catch) you could fillet and bag ‘em then put them in the esky with the ice bottles.

Now that would be illegal, ie filleting fish on the water.

Ahhh! The old Qld vs Victoria argument. In qld yes it's illegal except I think there is a minimum fillet size, Victoria, probably no such rule, EVO appears to be from Melbourne. It would be good to see all the states aligned on rules and regs but unfortunately apart from all the political in fights, it's just not possible. I read quite a long research article on dusky flathead and just the maturity rate between here in southern qld and the nthrn parts if NSW varies greatly, and even between male and females there was a difference between the states.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Now that would be illegal, ie filleting fish on the water.
    Yes you're right, sorry about that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Ahhh! The old Qld vs Victoria argument. In qld yes it's illegal except I think there is a minimum fillet size, Victoria, probably no such rule, EVO appears to be from Melbourne. It would be good to see all the states aligned on rules and regs but unfortunately apart from all the political in fights, it's just not possible. I read quite a long research article on dusky flathead and just the maturity rate between here in southern qld and the nthrn parts if NSW varies greatly, and even between male and females there was a difference between the states.
    I just had a bit more of a look through the rec fishing rules for here in Mexico, I didn't check every fish but a few on my list ( schoolies, gummies and snapper) are able to be kept either whole or carcass form (which is basically gutted).

On a side note I'm watching escape with ET now throwing yellow fin whiting in his live bait tank, "for dinner tonight" in his words, if that means anything, looked like he was in QLD.

I have had the fisheries fellas random inspect my boat with live flatties and squid I've caught still in my live bait tank. But they were reluctant to get their mitts on the wrong end of a flatty spike. So they just ogled through the lid and window.
    No issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    QLD - https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-...fillet-removal

Vic - https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-...ning-your-fish

Vic - Definitions - https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-...ng-definitions
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Thanks Triple, hadn't read those rules in quite a while and completely forgotten about keeping live Coral Fin fish.
    Each state has some odd rules eg in Qld Estuary Cod (Gold Spot or Black Spot) are considered as Other Tidal so while not counting towards the total Coral Fish take, they are still included in the combined Cod count of 5 per person.

Thanks all for the reply. I should have thought of water in the bottle as my ice. That's great advice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk