Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electrical safety on small boats

Re: Electrical safety on small boats

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Yeah probable different in an Ali boat although the ute tray is metal so not that different i would have thought.

I have a glass boat with rubber fish mat on the floor.

BigE
    From my following of this thread your ute is double or is that quadruple (with 4 tyres) insulated. There is a difference between ally boats and glass boats, I know my tinnie has a reading between the positive on my battery and the hull. I raised this question early last year and found this was considered to be normal. Add a genny, I have no idea but from what I have been reading in this thread it is far more complex than the average Joe Bloe can absorb.

I am enjoying the debate between Ranmar and Andy, so far friendly and I really do hope they get together and have a few beers, wine, rum or whatever it takes. I recall sitting up at Bathurst Bay with a couple offriends, both had their own ideas on electronics, at the end of the night after many wines, followed by port and icecream everyone went to bed still friends. Mind you in the morning the big croc tracks on the beach made us wonder if we scared it away with our arguements.

Re the question about the ali boat. It really makes no difference.

Everyone needs to understand that regardless of the power source, faults do happen and can happen in such a way that you are not protected, even in your house with an RCD (safety switch). Common sense HAS to be applied whenever you are using electrical equipment. IF you would not use a hair dryer in the bath at home, why would you use a generator on a wet deck? Would you use a power tool in pissing down rain? My generator is too big for the boat, but I have borrowed my mates little 1kva Honda a couple of times. I set it up under cover and only use it to charge the house batteries. I only use it at anchor, away from other people and only during the day. There is a greater risk of carbon monoxide poising than there is of electrocution!

Camping, boating, at home, does not matter where you are, electricity and water dont mix. If everything is in good order and you keep the genset out of the rain, and the equipment you are using dry then you wont have a problem.

The main point that I was trying to make, was that a generator with an isolated earth (ie Honda EU2000i or the Yamaha EF2000is) is as safe as an RCD protected power source in your house. People make the mistake in thinking that because an RCD does not work with an isolated generator that its not safe, and this is simply not true.

At the end of the day, the best measure of safety is to have equipment checked and tested on a regular basis, especially if you are one of those people whose gear gets bashed around a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I am enjoying the debate between Ranmar and Andy, so far friendly and I really do hope they get together and have a few beers, wine, rum or whatever it takes.
    I don't aim to offend. When arguing a point, I am attacking someones idea or concept, not the individual. I have many very good friends of mine who I will debate the taboo subjects like politics, religion and ethics well into the night whilst drinking large amounts of beer, and we often never agree (and probably never will), but we still walk away as friends and do it again the next week. Some of my very closest friends (including my wife) are people who have diametrically opposed opinions to mine on some subjects, but they are people who I dearly love and I hope our friendly debates will continue until the day I die.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Rum works for me. Or beer, as long as it isn't Fourecks. And my new boat is now at the dealers, getting ready for delivery, so everything is right with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Rum works for me. Or beer, as long as it isn't Fourecks. And my new boat is now at the dealers, getting ready for delivery, so everything is right with the world.
    especially not Fordecks as they reduced the alc by vol to 4.2% from 4.8%. dint tell anyone and didn't drop the price. now they're on strike again, didn't they learn from last time when people learnt to like the taste of other beers and their sales dropped.

So now it's watered down dishwater....
    Some winery guy in Clare once told me that XXXX Gold was among the top brews in the world.
    I didn't buy any of his wine.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk