Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Overnighting

Advice on Overnighting

Hi All,

We brought a Cruise Craft 685 hardtop before Christmas and my wife is very keen to travel up the Clyde River (Batemans Bay, NSW) and spend the night on the boat.

We have not done this before and we are looking for advice, tips, tricks on what to take with us.

Regards,
    Nick

Re: Advice on Overnighting

Plenty of alcohol and some food ste the priorities

Lol ......those boxes are already packed !

Nick

May I suggest that if you anchor for the night pick a spot that you can get as far as possible from the shore to get away from mosquitos and other biting things.
    Also put out a stern anchor as well as the bow anchor so you don't do circles in the night. My wife got very disconcerted by the fact that we rotated during the night and the nav marker beacons were always in different locations. She found it too disconcerting.

All the usual camping things like food and drink and loo. Basically whatever you wife wants is what you take so she get ownership.

Have you got a small tender tinny that you can use (even row) to go back and forth to the shore so the 685 can stay anchored once you get set.up?

Good luck with it.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Platinum Member

well, you've got the boat for it. I'm about to take delivery of a 6.4 metre boat and overnighting , and extended trips, are firmly on the agenda. How do you intend to cook? I'll be getting one of those little single-burner gas canister stoves, perhaps with the optional hotplate top. Also getting a 12v travel Buddy marine oven for heating food up. I detest instant coffee, but was put onto these 12v espresso machines in this thread here, scroll down a bit. Being a 685 CC, I imagine you will already have a fridge on board. Some way of freshening up before you retire to bed is a must, particularly for the ladies, so think about how you can wash. The old flannel in warm water is OK, but, if you are going to be in a nice calm river, you could have one of those cheap solar showers sitting on the roof and warming up, just remember to use it before the sun goes down, they cool quickly.

You'll doubtless have your own preferences for bedding, so you really just need to consider where you can anchor most comfortably. If you can get out of the heavy traffic areas you'll have a quiet night . Think about getting out of the wind, consider what will happen if the wind swings during the night, also tide changes. Make sure there is enough water under you for the tide to go right down without being on the bottom getting too close to the bank will give you more sandflies--mosquitos will fly further, you might need to think about some mosquito nets to drape over anything you will be leaving open, like the forward hatch and cabin door.
    Enjoy.

go to kmart and buy one of those egg shell mattress toppers and sheets. cut to size if needs be. a few extra inches on the mattress makes a big differnce with the sleep.

Get yourself a decent fan. battery really. keep the air moving through the cabin.

depending on your battery situation, turn on a drift or anchor alarm.

solar hot water shower is an awesome idea

12v oven for croissants in the morning is also a brownie point idea

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Nick

What Moose said sort of.
    We fitted side drop down seats in front of the rear drop down seat and have a rectangular table the that gives a booth type affect. We can change the table height so that you get a double bed size. Seafarer made up the same sealed cushion for the table. On top of that we have a full double mattress the same as our matress guy makes for the Rivs etc .

Sleeping down by the stern you avoid the need for a fan as your clears and canopy give plenty of headroom.
    Still keen on the second anchor to cut down swinging and female motion sickness.

Pic shows rear seats without table infill. Travel cover instead of clears etc in place.

Chimo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What could go wrong.......................

Do you have a dual battery system that ensures you only use 1 battery at a time. You dont want to wake up the next morning without any battery power to start your engine?
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I don't think I would rush out and buy a fan to keep you cool in Batemans Bay, maybe a polar sleeping bag to keep warm!

Suggest you anchor up out of boat traffic, take a good pillow,have well charged duel batteries, a fan in the cabin if its a warm nite.Most importantly make sure you have a big plough anchor and a good lenght of chain on the bow. I also like to sit bow into the wind so i also use a second anchor off the stern to stop the boat swinging in the wind and tide. This work well if it happens to rain , you stay a lot drier.
    Regards
    BeastMaster
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

The Clyde is pretty tame in regards to tide and wind. As Noel said, something to keep you warm from this point on would be more useful than a fan. Try not to anchor near big island as bees hang around there. If you go a bit further up there are some oyster leases to the right. Anchor near them or on the other side back towards big island, there is a place called the steps (you will know it if you see it on the sounder). Its kind of near a camping ground area and the steps would be bloody good to fish at night. If you want to stay out of any wind or weather, go further up towards chinamans point and anchor near (but not too close -- be in about 25ft of water) to oyster leases in the right and you will have a calm night and possibly get some good flathead.

And make sure you leave your all round anchor light on...

definetly take insect repellant, and amber lighting should be ideal to not attract insects, red lighting is easy on the eyes followed by blue, if i remember right anchor west of the bridge up near the powerlines crossing the clyde, deep hole their and a patience person with a fresh bait can land themselves a nice jewfish. chuck the juveniles back though as they taste like soap. this spot should keep a breeze flowing which will keep the insects down as it will be your main problem if you can endure them, be prepared to get biten off as bronze whalers and gummys frequent the river( great eating though if you land one) and dad caught a hammerhead once under the bridge one night. another nice spot is to motor out of the entrance and anchor up just off maloneys beach about 100 mtrs off the beach, no waves or swell here nice and flat with fresh air, no insects. Keep on your radar around the long beach to square head area line of sight there is exposed rock at low tide, so avoid hugging the shore line around this area.good luck

love over nighting , by far the best $500 bucks i have ever spent for over nighting

$350 = kings 2KW gen set
    $99 = Nescafe coffee machine (uses instant coffee)
    $ 39= 7 inch electric frying pan
    $10 = straps to hold the gen to the bait board or on the transom live well.

quick feed and a hot coffee in the evening and in the morning make the experience soooo much better ( happy wife happy life)

BigE

i used to use those portable butane gas stoves, unless your cooking bacon they arent much chop for any other meat, if i were to do it again i would follow Big E and get the set up he does, love the nescafe machine idea, awesome and also get inverter and wack in a microwave and nuke food all night long, and have that coffee machine cranking. ohhh yeahhhh.