Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Overnighting

Re: Advice on Overnighting

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    And electrical safety is something you should think about, no real protective earthing..
    Just a quick note on that point - Isolated generators have no earth requirement, and the regs actually discourage earthing if its not permanently wired.

why on earth is everyone using generators?! or 12v heating elements or ovens?. It's no safer anyway - probably more of a fire risk than one of those butane stoves, and risk of fuel spilling etc.
    Mate just take an esky. Hot shower - one of those 12volt camping showers (cost $20 big w) or you can make a T in your deck hose draw. or those black bag showers laid on the deck work well also
    Heat some water up ontop of said butaine stove on the bait board. add a billy full of boiling hot water into a half or 3/4 full bucket of cold water. Drop shower pump into bucket. for long trips shower in salt and rinse in fresh. ($15 big w. cans $1 for 5. 1 can a day. store cans outside of stove in gunwhale pockets)
    You can also buy a wind tamer sides / move to the top of the esky to get out of the breeze or i used to use gear box lids to shield if windy
    Butaine stove and a saucepan or billy to heat water for shower or to boil water for plunger coffee (why bother with one of those 12v capsule things?! plunger coffee just add hot water or even stove top expresso if fussy?non stick frypan for snags, bacon and eggs in morning. Some sort of burger in evening where you only have to fry the meat and onions. maybe some tongs or egg flip seeing as your missus will be there and you dont want her rousing at you for using your fingers. Job done. boil more water for washing up
    I advise against stern anchor. let boat swing in breeze, breeze flows through boat. no akward rocking.
    Breeze helps with sandflies allthough at your latitude a sheet or blanket.
    anchor light probably important. Maybe a good movie or tv show on the phone or tablet.
    Probably more of a worry what happens after the coffee in the morning.

showers available everywhere
    https://www.ebay.com.au/i/182566380859?chn=ps
    if never used these bag showers get quite warm
    https://www.bigw.com.au/product/cole...wer/p/8387302/

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/camp...late/p/517114/
    double ones are better. can boil billy and cook at same time. or use bbq plate. Burners quite powerfull and plate thin so cooks even steak well
    single ones small, easily stowed
    https://www.bigw.com.au/product/camp...10rw/p/891460/

Ausfish Platinum Member

On the subject of the toilet, Inbuilt toilets set in the v ( common setup) won't work well for camping because a) you have to pull the bed up to get at it and b) who wants to sleep with the smell of a fresh crap in the cabin? So chemical toilet put out on the deck will be fine, they seal up well and don't smell. For this reason, I didn't order a built-in with the new boat.

Now to the big one, the generator. I am more than passing familiar with the regs in this respect, being a statutory electrical supervisor on a minesite for a number of years, and still in the game. When you say no earth requirement, I am asuuming you mean no earth stake. Every power source needs earthing, how you do it varies. To cut to the chase, I have had people turn up on site with inverter generators , attach one of those portable RCD boxes to it, press the test button on the box, have the RCD trip and say " see, RCD protected" i would then gently point out that it was only an internal protection test they were pressing. I would then drag out the RCD tester, apply the test, and it would, of course, fail. There is no protection on these things. If you get a faulty appliance , you are not protected by any RCD, unless it is built in. These are rare or non-existant on inverter generators.
    If you are in the trade, qualified, I would gladly share a copy of an excellent generator connection standard put out by the company I used to work for, and still contract to. Covers all likely scenarios,such as portable, trailer mounted,fixed, temp, permanent, changeover, and is fully AS/NZS compliant.

I kind of think the whole idea has been over looked, he plans on doing an overnight in colder climate in a boat, not spending a week at the Cape! simple camping stuff will be more than adequate, easy to prepare food and good sleeping gear is about all he will need, an esky will be plenty for one night (and day) generators, coffee machines, microwaves and other sorts of stuff are way over the top, and there will be no room in the boat with all the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I kind of think the whole idea has been over looked, he plans on doing an overnight in colder climate in a boat, not spending a week at the Cape! simple camping stuff will be more than adequate, easy to prepare food and good sleeping gear is about all he will need, an esky will be plenty for one night (and day) generators, coffee machines, microwaves and other sorts of stuff are way over the top, and there will be no room in the boat with all the gear.
    He is taking the missus Noel
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

"The missus"...some variations around on that. One will refuse to stay anywhere that isn't at 4 star, and write bad TripAdvisor reviews if the towels aren't folded to their satisfaction. Another will help you clean fish. Thankfully, I have the second type, and she is looking forward to camping on the boat, with all the limitations known.

For night - pre cook something in a shuttle chef
    https://www.thermalcookware.com/main...=dynamic&id=22

For the rest, esky with ice - milk for coffee and a bowl of cereal. drinks, beer and grog. The EX685 has plenty of space for this.

Also, a lot of EX685's have a travel buddy 12v oven in the cabin (http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/) and some have a built in fridge. Bung a pie, sausage roll or pizza in that - or croissants for brekky,

You want a bath? Jump overboard. Then hose off with the freshwater deck wash. Just not a first thing in the morning exercise.

You need to take a dump? Get some brekky cooked for you? Up anchor and go to Nelligen. Cafe there does brekky, coffee and a toilet is there in the little park.

I will keep an eye out for a fellow cruisecrafter on the clyde!

Big E is onto it. $389 it showed up on my computer. That is awesome. Through an Australian retailer so should be 12 month warranty. No warranty from China and more expensive. I'd missed his comments originally. Exactly the same units they have sourced from somewhere in China as well.

Now to the big one, the generator. I am more than passing familiar with the regs in this respect, being a statutory electrical supervisor on a minesite for a number of years, and still in the game. When you say no earth requirement, I am asuuming you mean no earth stake. Every power source needs earthing, how you do it varies. To cut to the chase, I have had people turn up on site with inverter generators , attach one of those portable RCD boxes to it, press the test button on the box, have the RCD trip and say " see, RCD protected" i would then gently point out that it was only an internal protection test they were pressing. I would then drag out the RCD tester, apply the test, and it would, of course, fail. There is no protection on these things. If you get a faulty appliance , you are not protected by any RCD, unless it is built in. These are rare or non-existant on inverter generators.
    If you are in the trade, qualified, I would gladly share a copy of an excellent generator connection standard put out by the company I used to work for, and still contract to. Covers all likely scenarios,such as portable, trailer mounted,fixed, temp, permanent, changeover, and is fully AS/NZS compliant.
    The problem is people, yourself included, don't fully understand how RDC's work. How you earth a generator does not vary, its regulated and for a very good reason. I am not going to hijack this thread any further, but I feel that when incorrect information is posted that I should correct that. Happy to take this to another thread if needed. And just for the record, I am trade qualified.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I'm going to not take that as a direct insult, as you are making a number of very incorrect assumptions about me. Yes, we'll take this elsewhere, I have just started on new thread on electrical safety as it applies to small boats.

My Brothers wife loves sleeping under the stars ....... but only 5 of them
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

FAR OUT DUDES .... stop trying to scare the bloke off

Just run the boat up to Nelligen & buy a awesome burger (with the lot) for under $10 ...... you'll probably end up with 3rd degree burns on your wrist - but you;ll be licking off that fat & wanting more ....

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

"The missus"...some variations around on that. One will refuse to stay anywhere that isn't at 4 star, and write bad TripAdvisor reviews if the towels aren't folded to their satisfaction. Another will help you clean fish. Thankfully, I have the second type, and she is looking forward to camping on the boat, with all the limitations known.
    when are you planning to head down ?

I may need to head down there for some R & R soon ......

Chris

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Why not just run a 12 volt - 240volt inverter might be more expensive but we already have a power source for it and it would take up less room

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Why not just run a 12 volt - 240volt inverter might be more expensive but we already have a power source for it and it would take up less room

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Inverters kill batteries really quickly. They are inefficeint and power hungry.

Forget 12V and 240V powered gear is the simple answer. Gas for cooking, and if you have a house battery then a small 12V fridge for a weekend. If you want 5 star luxury then buy a 40+ft boat with big battery banks and back up gensets.