Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barcrusher opions

Barcrusher Opinions

Hi All

I'm in the early phase of planning my next boat - I've got a fairly good idea on the configuration & size based on the knowledge that I gained from my current boat (Seajay 5m Barramasta SC) & my fishing progression .

I want to go away from a side console to a rear centre console - plate aluminium 6-6.7m ( very much a NT style boat) - The fishing will be a mix of offshore , rivers , the odd trip up to a Qld barra lake ...... with the focus on inshore / offshore (snapper , kings , Mackerel etc) .

One boat on the radar is the Barcrusher XS range - the 6.7m looks ideal (I didn't mind the configuration)

As these hulls are the same through the range I'm just after opinions from owners ..... ex owners & those who have spent a bit of time fishing out of them . The good , bad & ugly

I'm happy to listen to alternatives in plate alloy -..... as I will be researching alternatives over the coming weeks

Appreciate your help

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Barcrusher Opinions

Hi Chris. For an alternative, take a look at Aluminium Longboats Australia based at Tingalpa here in Brisbane. I am currently looking at one of these as the replacement of my Stessl Angler. They do a centre console longboat in either 6.8 metres or 7.1 metres length and are a really well made product. Grant (Moonlighter) and I did a visit to the factory late last year to take a look over the 6.8m he was building at the time.

The 7.1 runs with either a 115 or 130hp four stroke, 5mm bottom, transom and pod, 4mm sides and 3mm sealed deck. Has a 180 litre aluminium underfloor fuel tank and all sealed compartments underfloor have survey foam in them. It weighs around 900kg fully loaded. The 6.8m has a 140 litre poly underfloor fuel tank.

The only reason I have not ordered mine yet is that my local council is making life difficult trying to get approvals to do some modifications to existing structures to be able to get the boat into the back yard.

If you want to have a look at the 7.1 metre boat in action, take a look on Youtube at Yippykiyay m.f. Adventures. Jason is based in Mount Isa and does long range trips in the gulf from Karumba. Last year he did a Weipa to the tip trip in his boat. If you are looking at a rear centre console type boat, then this one is well worth taking a look at. Also, I think you will find it very well priced against many of the better known brands. I will also state that I have no affiliation with the builder, I'm just a potential customer.

Cheers

Jeff

Re: Barcrusher opions

I fish pretty regularly out of a Barcrusher, and it is OK, I think the popularity (and price) has a lot to do with TV fishing shows, but my mates is decent enough, probably not my cup of tea though.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I only did 4 days in one, offshore. It was only the 615, and there has to be a lot better around. 670 may be better. I'm with Noelm on this, over rated.

I am really interested in this discussion, as i have been contemplating selling my Whittley & getting into a plate aluminium for the last couple of years motivated by the fact that my nearest boat ramp (oxenford) has rocky areas each side of the ramp. I have been impressed by the appearance of the Bar crushers & Surtees, i know however appearance is not a good indicator of how good any hull is. i will follow this thread with interest.

BTW - It should read Barcrusher opinions - for some reason I couldn't change the spelling of the title

Sorry about that

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi All

I'm in the early phase of planning my next boat - I've got a fairly good idea on the configuration & size based on the knowledge that I gained from my current boat (Seajay 5m Barramasta SC) & my fishing progression .

I want to go away from a side console to a rear centre console - plate aluminium 6-6.7m ( very much a NT style boat) - The fishing will be a mix of offshore , rivers , the odd trip up to a Qld barra lake ...... with the focus on inshore / offshore (snapper , kings , Mackerel etc) .

One boat on the radar is the Barcrusher XS range - the 6.7m looks ideal (I didn't mind the configuration)

As these hulls are the same through the range I'm just after opinions from owners ..... ex owners & those who have spent a bit of time fishing out of them . The good , bad & ugly

I'm happy to listen to alternatives in plate alloy -..... as I will be researching alternatives over the coming weeks

Appreciate your help

Chris
    Hi Chris the hulls are actually different on the 670 and above to the hulls on the 615 and below models I am pretty sure
    I have a bar flap on mine which is a 575c which does make it a lot more comfortable when you do get into short swell conditions with the added extra weight you can lock in the ballast tank but does use more fuel but probably no different than a glass boat of the same size
    I do get the odd bang every now and again going side on to the swell which I guess you have to expect with a air buoyancy flotation system made of ally just makes it into a drum I guess
    I have nearly 200 engine hours up on it in the 10 months I have had it and it handles well have always felt safe in it , it’s light to tow, easy to load/unload ( as I am by myself the majority of the time) easy to clean as it pretty well is only designed for fishing main issue I have with it which doesn’t affect you is visibility is not the greatest with the roof pulled down pretty narrow viewing area and the clears can be a pain in the backside especially when you are chasing birds
    With the XS it might get a bit wet I know I have given my kids a few good saltwater baths in it when they have been sitting down the back drinking beer but I was trying my best to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

I have to say ... as a cabin boat - bar crushers are not my cup of tea either & if I was buying a traditional centre console - I'd probably look at an AMM first & a Formosa second .
    Not everyone does a rear centre console & that is the configuration that I need to go with ........ Bar crusher do though . clearly they must be doing something right - I know the build quality is right up there along with their innovation . I wouldn't have even considered them till I saw the baby of the XS range last weekend.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I have to say ... as a cabin boat - bar crushers are not my cup of tea either & if I was buying a traditional centre console - I'd probably look at an AMM first & a Formosa second .
    Not everyone does a rear centre console & that is the configuration that I need to go with ........ Bar crusher do though . clearly they must be doing something right - I know the build quality is right up there along with their innovation . I wouldn't have even considered them till I saw the baby of the XS range last weekend.

Chris
    AMM 7000 Offshore centre console now that is a beast

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Wet wet wet I was in a side console and it wasn’t really that choppy and it was like someone throwing buckets of water at you my stacer outlaw is drier

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, I was thinking they would be very wet in a CC. Again, my experience is only in a 615C. it was fine(well, OK) travelling directly across a sea, or with it behind you, but the moment you started to angle even a bit into it--big gobs of water. and you had to pull the hardtop dwon and look out throygh that tiny slit of a windscreen. The ride directly into a bit of a slop was actually not bad for a platey, as long as you weren't too ambitious with the throttle. The stability aspect was quite good--three days were spent out in the bluewater trolling for bills, and the other day in Exmouth Gulf. But the real let down was the ride quartering into it, just bloody appalling. I'm only talking a very small, short chop, but it seemed that that big slab of a vee which continues all the way down to the stern from the bow just gets hit square on. They make a lot of that Vee in the advertising, but I reckon it really works against the boat in that situation. the wetness aspect comes, I feel from that silly bit of flat bar they have welded along the forward chine as a spray deflector. With no flare, and no actual flat hull chine up the front, the water just comes straight up and over. I imagine it would be wetter than average, and this is from someone who owned a sucession of centre consoles, and is used to getting the odd bit of spray, comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by terryc View Post
    I am really interested in this discussion, as i have been contemplating selling my Whittley & getting into a plate aluminium for the last couple of years motivated by the fact that my nearest boat ramp (oxenford) has rocky areas each side of the ramp. I have been impressed by the appearance of the Bar crushers & Surtees, i know however appearance is not a good indicator of how good any hull is. i will follow this thread with interest.
    As will I as I’m planning the same
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Mate, give glass a go. Hooker, galeforce, bonito or a yank import.

Or possibly Polycraft...

Do a search of boats for sale & buy the brand that has the least. Lot's of barcrushers for sale, not many AMM's. Must be an indication of what owners think.