Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volvo IPS 600

Re: Volvo IPS 600

Hi Smithy. Yes Dolphin Marine are doing engine diagnostic report. Oil sample report from both engines and pods and an inspection on seals, anodes and overall condition report when she is on the hard next week. Also getting full marine survey. I am then getting their report run by my own guy up here who has looked after my Volvo power mustang for 8 years so hoping I am ticking every possible box. 2 main red flags raised are 1. that the seals have already been changes, as they should be at about the 7 year mark, particularly in warm water, and that the engines, given they have only averaged 40 hours a year, do not have any internal corrosion in the heads. Both issues red flagged by my local mechanics. I have done as much homework as I can both here and internationally. Obviously not many in Australia, maybe only 1 other one and those in US and Europe seem to be holding value pretty well, with her sister ship for sale in the USA for $350K US, about $550K Aus by the time you convert $, ship and pay GST. I have an agreed price "subject to reports, inspection and sea trial" which gives me plenty of maintenance "fat". Above water she is the most impressive boat under 50 foot I have ever set foot on, leaving Princesses and Sunseekers in the shade, but, Money is all below decks. I know it is not a fishing boat, it is not supposed to be, the fishing boat gets towed out the back =) Kev

Hello kc,
    USA website ########.com is running a user satisfaction survey at the moment.

For mine IPS combines the worst of shafts and sterndrives into one very expensive package, they are a triumph of marketing over common sense and practicality.
    All of which is your problem not mine.

That is boat test, all one word .com

Thanks mate. Will have a look see. It is not my problem yet. Still have plenty of get out of jail clauses in the contract if I need to.

kc

Can you private email me a link. can't find it kc@whitsunday.net.au

Hello kc,

Lookup ######## .com .
    It has heaps of articles on IPS.
    I cannot now find the link to IPS Survey either.
    I am a member of ######## and get emails.
    I joined just to see what the yanks do.
    My boat does not have quadruple 400 verados so I therefore cannot be enjoying myself.
    Nor do I carry an arsenal of firearms for self protection.
    It's another world over there.

Thanks Croc. I'm a member as well, also Hull Truth and couldn't find any user surveys. Plenty of user comments on Hull Truth and a few other websites, most of them seem to have issues early, settle down, and then have a reasonable run through to a 1000 hour rebuild. At the same time I have just sold a leg boat after 7 years ownership and seems to be as many leg horror stories as IPS ones. Maybe more to do with penny pinching each lift on servicing costs and how hard you drive them?. No doubt shaft boats are the easy option in terms of maintenance but buggered if I have been able to find the "right' boat with the specs I want. Amazing as have looked how many boats, even 45 footers, are either legs of IPS. Maybe shaft owners don't sell their boats =). Anyhow, moving down a pathway with all the diagnostics being done and all the seals done by way of preventative maintenance while she is on the hard. Most of my running will be low rev towing a fishing boat but if I end up buying her it will be with eyes wide open and enough fat in the deal to cope with some major refits. Surprising to some degree in the worlds biggest boating market, the US, that IPS powered vessels hold value as well and at times even better than same boat with shafts. The sister ship to the boat I am looking at is for sale in the US for well over $100K more than I am paying in Aus dollars and it would still need to be shipped and taxed to put it North of $200K more than I am paying. On a nice note my little Mustang left her pen this morning with the new owner who had a nice 6 hour run to Townsville, trouble free with still 1/4 tank of fuel and 6 beers left when he got her to her new home. 2 best days. The day you buy them and the day you sell them.

& yes, the yanks are "special" I am over there in Fort Laurdidale next week on route to a Bonefish trip to the Bahamas. Should be "interesting". Might wear my "Make America Great Again Hat"...or maybe not =)

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/index.c...hread_ID=64390

Subscribe page so might not be able to see much. I can screenshot and email.
    Gist is there an many models (A-f)
    The latest one has been out for two years so starting to get reliable. But the early ones very bad. A few Volvo dealers chimed in and said they were a bad thing. This guy who started the thread bought a type a system (twins) with only 250 hours. Full boat survey no water in oil etc. Started delivery trip and one blew up. Full rebuild$35k us (just the drive). And u know how much cheaper stuff like this is in the USA. Anyway he copped it on the chin. Got the work done. Headed off on delivery trip and other drive had a different failure. Only $19k rebuild. Then dealers and others chimed in. One Volvo dealer said he wasn't a fan, and that the performance is great but at a heavy price
    Someone else said that when the topic crops up on boat diesel the general consensus is they're too complex and maint intensive for recreational boating.
    Just repeating what was said in thread.

I have seen forty foot sports boats with twin DP legs. I'm sure they go way better than shafts but more maint and if i had to choose I don't think I would choose them over shafts. Seems the decision to go IPS might be similar

I have owned two IPS boats (one D4 based and the current D6's).

The first boat was a disaster (@1000hrs had IPS issues and D4 engine failure) which admittedly was the first generation IPS. Issues with the D4's believe related to older/bad injector and piston design issues since revised. That cost me.

My current boat has 200hrs on it without incident (from new) so fingers crossed. The reason i bought IPS again is because of 5yr warranty from wheel to prop. I would be extremely hesitant to own one outside of warranty especially if service history is unknown. Send me a PM if you want real world owner opinion on anything, fuel consumption etc.

Saw it come out the other day. Does Adam Ashby the boatbuilder own it or did he buy it?
    Attached Images Attached Images