Thread: Overhead reel

Overhead reel

Iam wanting to head up to 1770 for a fish.

i got a few baitrunners but was thinking of an overhead.

without breaking the bank, what is suggested around $200 mark.

i dont understand the ratio and drag that i see listed.

What do i buy and what rod?

cheers
    greg

Re: Overhead reel

Look for a tyrnos 16 you might Nab one on special for around the $240 mark you could try Barra Jacks at Kawana pretty sure I picked one up for around that last year

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Second the Tyrnos 16. Put some 50lb power pro on it and stick it on 10-15kg 6 foot overhead.

I just saw a new smallish lever drag reel on ebay which might interest you, have being chatting via email to the importer/ebay seller over the last couple of days trying to get some more details, no idea if they are any good or not as I haven't seen or used one but looks like they could have potential and not too expensive @ $175 delivered and double drag discs of 20Kg and 9+1 bearings, 6.2:1 ratio gears. The colour scheme is a bit bright though.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112716236485?ul_noapp=true

Cheers

Ed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have a look at the torium 16, they're great little reels.

There are also the Penn Fathoms 2 speed lever drags and you could pick one up around the $250+ mark if you shop around. It really depends on what type of fishing you want to do. The physically smallest lever drag overhead reels that I have come across in your approx price range are the FTH-15LD in single and 2 speed, they have about 9kg plus of drag and also have a thrust bearing and double dogs in them. I have wound 350m of Powerpro 40-50lb braided line on them, (I have one of each), they are also pretty good to cast. If you wanted a star drag overhead then there are way too many models and brands to choose from.

As for the ratios, the higher the ratio means that it retrieves more line per turn of the handle at a cost of more effort to turn that handle. If you use a good pump and wind technique using the rod to lift the fish up then wind in the slack, than that isn't an issue, if you are trying to winch up a big fish without pumping then a lower ratio or a 2 speed reel would be better. Think of the ratios as in the gear box in the car; 1st gear more power less speed, 2nd gear more speed less power.

I prefer medium to high ratio reels myself as it gives me more speed to retrieve a lure and doing a pump and wind helps bring up a big stubborn fish.

As for rods, I generally build my own, but as for off the rack rods I prefer the Ugly stik rods and I have a small collection of them. They are versatile and robust composite rods that generally aren't prone to snapping if you high stick whilst fishing which tends to happen with the pure graphite rods. In fact you would have to be doing something pretty stupid to snap one in use.
    I have just bought another one from NZ which does 10-50lb and is a 2 piece Tiger stick, and cost about $120 delivered. (I bought 2 of them actually, one for my son in law). They don't sell that particular model here in Oz hence the reason I got it from NZ.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    There are also the Penn Fathoms 2 speed lever drags and you could pick one up around the $250+ mark if you shop around. It really depends on what type of fishing you want to do. The physically smallest lever drag overhead reels that I have come across in your approx price range are the FTH-15LD in single and 2 speed, they have about 9kg plus of drag and also have a thrust bearing and double dogs in them. I have wound 350m of Powerpro 40-50lb braided line on them, (I have one of each), they are also pretty good to cast. If you wanted a star drag overhead then there are way too many models and brands to choose from.

As for the ratios, the higher the ratio means that it retrieves more line per turn of the handle at a cost of more effort to turn that handle. If you use a good pump and wind technique using the rod to lift the fish up then wind in the slack, than that isn't an issue, if you are trying to winch up a big fish without pumping then a lower ratio or a 2 speed reel would be better. Think of the ratios as in the gear box in the car; 1st gear more power less speed, 2nd gear more speed less power.

I prefer medium to high ratio reels myself as it gives me more speed to retrieve a lure and doing a pump and wind helps bring up a big stubborn fish.

As for rods, I generally build my own, but as for off the rack rods I prefer the Ugly stik rods and I have a small collection of them. They are versatile and robust composite rods that generally aren't prone to snapping if you high stick whilst fishing which tends to happen with the pure graphite rods. In fact you would have to be doing some pretty stupid to snap one in use.
    I have just bought another one from NZ which does 10-50lb and is a 2 piece Tiger stick, and cost about $120 delivered. (I bought 2 of them actually, one for my son in law). They don't sell that particular model here in Oz hence the reason I got it from NZ.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    thanks heaps. I know have a better understanding. I saw a nice penn 20 star dray today, with a line feed.

No problem, which Penn 20 star drag reel did you look at as there are lots of different models?

Have you thought about looking at 2nd hand rod and reel combos Greg?

Ed it was a yello and black one. Star drag, live feed. It looked ok but just didnt feel good to me. Combo was $240.

Marto, i looked at gumtree. Nothing on there yet

cheers

Hi Seahorse, that unfortunately doesn't narrow it down but nether the less, there are hundreds of different models, brands and sizes to choose from so get one that you feel happy with and does the job. Fishing is not all just about catching fish (although that is a bonus ), it's also about using the right setup for you as using the wrong one will grate on you every single time you go to use it and will make fishing much less enjoyable. Decent fish can be few and far between and there is nothing worse than spending the many hours waiting for the next fish whilst at the same time constantly staring down and thinking this reel/rod is crappy and wishing maybe I should have got that other reel/rod.

The reality is that there isn't a one size fits all to fishing reel/rods, you need to work out what sort of fish you are after and what is the likelihood of catching that fish in the area where you go fishing. For example you wouldn't use a 6/0 sized reel to catch Whiting or cast light weight lures nor would you use a 100 sized baitcaster reel to go after Giant Trevally, well you could actually but I don't like your chances of having success. Hence the reason a lot of fishermen have a selection of setups for different target species.

Your original post of getting an overhead and $200 budget didn't give much info of what you could look at but judging by the fact you said you looked at a 20 sized overhead would indicate to me that you are going offshore and after reef fish, so if I were you I would go to a lot of different tackle stores and get your hands on each one that you think has potential and see how it feels. Once you narrow down the models do a google search and look up reviews on them. Reason is some models may appear good but in reality they are not worth buying due to one reason or another.

For myself I have sold off most of my bigger reels such as the 30 and 50W sized game reels because I don't chase the bigger fish any more, I am quite content to catch 3--40Kg fish and is the reason I buy smallish compact but powerful reels that can go up or down a class, just in case a bigger fish comes along they should handle it and are not too big that they are tiring to use. My biggest one now is a Tyrnos 20 spooled with 80lb braid but I don't often bring it on the boat as I target smaller sized fish. There are also differences in overhead reels and game fishing overhead reels. The game reels are much larger and stronger and designed to handle much more stress from long fights and get rid of the heat build up generated by drag friction quicker. A 15kg drag on a smaller 20 overhead may be adequate on a short 50m run but likely won't cope over a 300m run. But you have to ask yourself what is the likelihood of catching a larger fish that will do that on a long run and is it worth the extra size, cost, weight, line ect.

Food for thought, most fishing gear/tackle for general fishing is designed to catch fishermen and not fish!!!

Earlier on in my youth I went out with a friend of mine to give him a hand and to learn from him as he was a commercial fisherman, in his tinny, he caught 10 times more fish than I did with my expensive reel/rod combo, his choice of tackle ... a handline. Says it all!

A lot to consider eh? Enjoy.

Wow Ed. Thats a read and a half. Thats for your time

cheers

No problem, with all this crappy weather about I have quite a bit of time on my hands at the moment .

Lol yeah...I caught more on a wooden handline from a leaky wooden rowboat before I was 12 than in the following 40 ish years....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I've just posted on this thread re my two alveys, the only advice I could pass on is mentioned in my post, use mono for towing and thread for bottom fishing, I certainly would NOT use alveys for bottom fishing, but towing YEP, have landed everything from bill fish to anything that swims just below the surface via my alveys, not a big fan of overheads when bottom fishing, prefer eggbeaters, on a medium to fast tapering rod. People will disagree but that works for me. I also fish out off 1770.
    Good luck.
    cheers Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!