Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt water marine engine rusty top end

Re: Salt water marine engine rusty top end

The 6 ton shop press i picked up was way smaller than i thought it would not fit around my motor to press out the piston pins, only one way forward and that is to cut the conrods in half, i got the motor out and sat it up vertically around 3-3.5 litres of rusty salt water poured out of the bottom end with a little oil

this is looking like a complete new crankshaft and a complete new top end, the reed cages may need a soak in some sort of rust remover than lubed or depending how bad they are a new replacement because they are meant to be coated to stop them rusting than rusting out other parts like the rods and bearings

i guess this happens when you hydro lock an engine with salt water, if the last owner who was mechanically inclined had pulled the head gasket off and cranked her over with spark plugs out than flushed the crankcase the day it happened this would have been a different story

i will grab some pictures of the two different nikasil and steel sleeve cylinders when i get a chance to show the different so people know what we were previously talking about

Heres the pics showing the difference between aluminium cylinder with nikasil coated sleeve and a aluminium cylinder with a steel insert sleeve

Got that crankshaft out check out the video below