Thread: new tyres

new tyres

Just reshod the Prado with a full set of Cooper LT225s; had run the others down to (?below?) the legal depth.
    Now have to drop back a cog on rises I use to get over in top!
    Tread depth 137mm.
    Think the petrol consumption figures might look good for a while, most of the driving is on the flat.

Re: new tyres

Check your soeedo against a gps sounds like you have radically altered your gearing.and will have to adjust your driving habits and drive by your taco.
    Cheers
    Ray

Coopers have deeper tread than factory stock tyres, so overall circumference is different for same size, especially in LT sizes!

Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    Just reshod the Prado with a full set of Cooper LT225s; had run the others down to (?below?) the legal depth.
    Now have to drop back a cog on rises I use to get over in top!
    Tread depth 137mm.
    Think the petrol consumption figures might look good for a while, most of the driving is on the flat.
    Don't be surprised if the extra tyre diameter actually increases your consumption. Going up one profile in the Nissan Patrol I had made the speedo accurate (at worst a 5% error prior) but also cut the range from the tank from 1100 km to 1000.

Followed Ray's advice and put the GPS on for a while.
    Looks like where I had a speedo fudge factor of about 5-6K at 100, it is now only a couple of K, and at the lower speeds it is virtually spot on, instead of under-reading a bit.
    Have just done a trip to the coast and back, with a petrol top up on the way back, looks like a 1.4MPG (I'm an old fart) improvement on previous trips.
    Note Scottar's comments, but the trip to and from the coast is mainly flat with a drop down the escarpment on the way down and a short sharp uphill bit on the way back.
    Plus there is now a long 80K* section in the middle which must help consumption figures.
    * was 100K before they did the road up????? An earlier bit was 100K when dirt, now 80K after being converted to wide bitumen with radiussed curves????