Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Outboard Advice, Merc. 2013 2Cyl 40hp ELPTO vs Merc. 2006 3Cyl 40hp Lightning XR

Used Outboard Advice, Merc. 2013 2Cyl 40hp ELPTO vs Merc. 2006 3Cyl 40hp Lightning XR

Hi All,

I am weighing up two used outboards for a re-power of my under powered Clark 427 Kakadu, which currently has a 30hp 2 stroke Suzuki.

Both of the available motors I'm considering are Mercury 2 strokes with oil mixing, electric start and power trim and tilt. One is a 2006 3 Cylinder Lightning XR and the other is a 2013 2 Cylinder ELPTO.

What I am hoping is someone here may be able to help me decide which is the better choice based on their personal experience or inside knowledge.

From what I can find the motor specs are

Mercury 40hp 2 stroke ELPTO
    2 Cylinders
    644cc
    2.00:1
    Post Mix
    Loop Charged
    78kg

Mercury 40hp 2 stroke Lightning XR
    3 Cylinders
    967cc
    1.83:1
    Post Mix
    Loop Charged
    95kg

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks Dan

Re: Used Outboard Advice, Merc. 2013 2Cyl 40hp ELPTO vs Merc. 2006 3Cyl 40hp Lightnin

I’ve only got experience with the Yamaha 30hp which have a similar model split I.e. a 2 cyl and a 3 cyl version. The 3 cyl Yamaha, whilst heavier, is quite a bit smoother to operate, particularly at low revs, it also has a larger displacement than the 2 cyl (as the Mercury’s you’ve quoted do) which generally translates in my opinion to the larger displacement engine having to work less hard to produce the same horsepower, which theoretically translates to potentially a longer life. That said, I had the yam 30 2 cyl for 17 years and it never missed a beat, I also appreciated the less weight the 2 cyl had than the 3 cyl equivalent on my AllyCraft 410. That said, I didn’t do a lot of low speed running, when I did the 2 cyl would tend to oil up a bit, nothing major but noticeable when you hit the throttle to get up on the plane again after a period of idling.

In short, depends on your use. I think the 3 cyl would probably be the better long term, all round proposition if you weren’t worried about weight.

All of the above of course assumes similarity of principles between the yam and the Mercs which I think would be a reasonable assumption.

Re: Used Outboard Advice, Merc. 2013 2Cyl 40hp ELPTO vs Merc. 2006 3Cyl 40hp Lightnin

Sorry one other thing I intended to comment on re the age, assuming the engines have been looked after to a similar (high) standard, I wouldn’t consider the older age of the 3 cyl a relevant factor, pretty bulletproof these 2 strokes if looked after.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally410 View Post
    I’ve only got experience with the Yamaha 30hp which have a similar model split I.e. a 2 cyl and a 3 cyl version. The 3 cyl Yamaha, whilst heavier, is quite a bit smoother to operate, particularly at low revs, it also has a larger displacement than the 2 cyl (as the Mercury’s you’ve quoted do) which generally translates in my opinion to the larger displacement engine having to work less hard to produce the same horsepower, which theoretically translates to potentially a longer life. That said, I had the yam 30 2 cyl for 17 years and it never missed a beat, I also appreciated the less weight the 2 cyl had than the 3 cyl equivalent on my AllyCraft 410. That said, I didn’t do a lot of low speed running, when I did the 2 cyl would tend to oil up a bit, nothing major but noticeable when you hit the throttle to get up on the plane again after a period of idling.

In short, depends on your use. I think the 3 cyl would probably be the better long term, all round proposition if you weren’t worried about weight.

All of the above of course assumes similarity of principles between the yam and the Mercs which I think would be a reasonable assumption.

Thanks,

This was one of the things I have been weighing up, I do a far bit of trolling for lizards and thought the 3 cylinder would be smoother.

Also as I have been struggling with getting on the plane loaded with the 30 I currently have so I thought the bigger cubic capacity of the 3 cylinder 40hp would help with hole shot, from what I understand they have more torque than the 2 cylinder.

It is a shame the 3 cylinder is the older of the two, although it looks tidy and I guess the money I save on it compared to the 2013 is insurance for possible maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally410 View Post
    Sorry one other thing I intended to comment on re the age, assuming the engines have been looked after to a similar (high) standard, I wouldn’t consider the older age of the 3 cyl a relevant factor, pretty bulletproof these 2 strokes if looked after.
    Thanks,

Do you know if the power trim and tilt mechanisms suffer with age or are these fairly bulletproof also?

The 3 cyl lightning is a Rebadged Tohatsu 50 (downrated) and a top motor - probably the best 2 stroke in that size class and 3 cyls are much smoother. But your boat is on the smaller side for the 40hp, and the 2 cyl is much lighter according to your specs (could the lightning figure be wrong?) I think you would have a better boat with less weight on the transom.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Thanks,

This was one of the things I have been weighing up, I do a far bit of trolling for lizards and thought the 3 cylinder would be smoother.

Also as I have been struggling with getting on the plane loaded with the 30 I thought the bigger cubic capacity of the 3 cylinder would help with hole shot, from what I understand they have more torque than the 2 cylinder.

It is a shame the 3 cylinder is the older of the two, although it looks tidy and I guess the money I save on it compared to the 2013 is insurance for possible maintenance.
    it may have a little more torque, but if your struggling with the 30 u have and going to a 3cyl its still only 30hp so higher ccs dont do much without more hp. i think they call it power to torque.. get a 3cyl if u must but id go to a 40hp,, then if you are fully loaded u got extra, power and torque.
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ausfish Silver Member

agree with userman.. and saying never had trouble usually means it didnt blow up... but the 3 cyl has 3 carbys.. and keeping them all perfectly sinked is a hassle and costly at the mechanic, yes they are smoother, and u may get a little more torque, but even if they dont go out of sink its still 3 carbys to tune, meaning higher servicing costs,, and as ally says for trolling the 3cyl is smoother and less plug oiling problems. if you want to just hoon around the 2cyl will go great, and less costs keeping it tuned with 1 carb...

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    The 3 cyl lightning is a Rebadged Tohatsu 50 (downrated) and a top motor - probably the best 2 stroke in that size class and 3 cyls are much smoother. But your boat is on the smaller side for the 40hp, and the 2 cyl is much lighter according to your specs (could the lightning figure be wrong?) I think you would have a better boat with less weight on the transom.
    Thanks,

The weight on my transom should be fine with either as it is rated to 110kg, the current model of my boat is actually rated 30-50hp. I think a 50 would be overkill, I currently cruise at 18 knots and max out at 22 knots with the 30hp. It is a heavy hull 360kg, 3mm bottom and sides has a 120ltr live well, Minn Kota and 37kg battery.

The 3 cylinder really does sound like the best option, if no one mentions any bad experiences with it I think I will go that way. There was some stuff I found about water leaking through gaskets into the cylinders but hopefully this was a one off and not a common problem for them.

28-02-2018 9-18-05 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    it may have a little more torque, but if your struggling with the 30 u have and going to a 3cyl its still only 30hp so higher ccs dont do much without more hp. i think they call it power to torque.. get a 3cyl if u must but id go to a 40hp,, then if you are fully loaded u got extra, power and torque.
    Both the motors I am looking at are 40hp, one is a 2 cylinder and the other is a 3 cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    agree with userman.. and saying never had trouble usually means it didnt blow up... but the 3 cyl has 3 carbys.. and keeping them all perfectly sinked is a hassle and costly at the mechanic, yes they are smoother, and u may get a little more torque, but even if they dont go out of sink its still 3 carbys to tune, meaning higher servicing costs,, and as ally says for trolling the 3cyl is smoother and less plug oiling problems. if you want to just hoon around the 2cyl will go great, and less costs keeping it tuned with 1 carb...
    Good points re the 3 cylinder tuning, I hadn't considered that I will look into it.

Thanks

Ausfish Silver Member

Good points re the 3 cylinder tuning, I hadn't considered that I will look into it.

Thanks

if you got a btt of money to tune it a little more then a single carb engine. then id go the 3cyl as it is a smoother engine,, but the 2cyl option due to limited funds is what i run and i love my motor even if its not s smooth.. you got a bit to consider..

go the 3cyl, once the carbs are synched, they shouldn't mysteriously un synch, unless something loosens. I is not a difficult job to do if you have some skills, you tube is your friend.
    also. If as you say, you do a bit of trolling, it will be much smoother!

Thanks,

Do you know if the power trim and tilt mechanisms suffer with age or are these fairly bulletproof also?
    I've currently got a '96 Evinrude 70hp, it's very similar in basic attributes to the 3 cyl Merc you're considering (3 cyl, 3 carb with power trim and tilt). After I got it and following a light overhaul of the tilt and trim mechanism (resulting in replacing one bush spring in the motor), and stripping and cleaning the carbs, for an engine of this age both the t&t and the carbs are in excellent condition, as in no visible wear from what they should look like new.

My assumption based on my experience (and it's only my experience mind you), is that like anything maintenance is critical. In terms of the trim and tilt, proper flushing with fresh water, bit of WD40 on the rams from time to time and greasing the pins every now and then (along with checking the hydraulic fluid level) should set you up for a very long component life. The carbs are even simpler in my opinion, keeping them clean I find easiest by making sure I run all the fuel out of the float bowls after each use (i.e. at the end of a weekend away, not every day) works wonders in limiting varnishing/oil deposit buildup in the galleries which inevitably causes problems.

In terms of tuning the carbs, after checking the needles and seats and setting the needles to their factory settings, I find the carbs were very easy to tune, almost set and forget from that point as the butterflys are interconnected meaning they operate collectively rather than individually, also it's not like you're changing altitude and playing havoc with the mixture requirements. That said, i'm no mechanic but the engine starts and idles perfectly first time everytime, has ample power and is generally a pleasure to use, can't ask for much more than that.

My father has a 1986 evinrude V4 90hp he's had from new, I learnt maintenance from him as I've described above, he's just replaced the starter motor, other than that in 31 years he's only had to change the water pump which is routine maintenance.

My thoughts: if the 3 cyl looks like it's been looked after, trims up and down smoothly (no nasty sounds coming from the tilt unit e.g. pump cavitation), and it starts and runs reliably, I would be going that way. Whilst it will be noticeable, I don't think the additional weight will be a significantly detrimental factor on your boat, given your low speed trolling requirements I think the smoothness and ease of use of the 3 cyl would outweigh any negatives in this regard.

If you choose to go the other way I think you'll still be very happy, similar to up the creek, I had the 30hp Yamaha CV 2 cyl single carby for 17 years as I mentioned and absolutely loved it.

Hey Dan,

I have a 427 Clark Pursuit with the 40hp Jap Merc (also known as the 3 cyl. re-badged Tohatsu) and it has plenty of torque.

I am still wearing mine in and will imagine it will still get a bit better.

Let me know if you have any questions!