Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sunken boat

sunken boat

has anybody seen the foto of large plate alloy boat sitting on the bottom at the banks nsw

Re: sunken boat

Nope, got any info or a link?

Perhaps it's the that went down at "the Peak" off Sydney some time ago.

that's the one..found it elsewhere..its on boatsales and fishing world....il try an put link up...rick

sunken boat

Here it is Rick

A pretty scary situation. They were lucky there was another boat around that day.

IMG_0812.JPG

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...he-peak-59842/

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks for link. Was a good read

Not a bad read.

Ausfish Platinum Member

He sounds a bit clueless to me. I know everyone has 20/20 hindsight, and it's easy to sling off at others, but he really did his best to get all those holes to line up.
    1) forecast of WSW getting up to 25 knots in the afternoon, and he's out past The Peak? Anyone from Sydney should know that you'd take that forecast with a big dose of caution. 25 knot WSW is bad out there, but it's likely to get a lot worse.
    2)" I noticed a fair bit of water in the back of the boat, didn't think much of it, turned both bilge pumps on" FFS. Wouldn't you investigate that a bit further? And did he notice that the pumps just kept pumping, or couldn't he see his outlets? Alarm bells would be screaming at me.
    3) " a couple of hours later..." bilge pumps still running, boat rolling oddly, 50 knots of wind, and they are still trying to fish? Again, FFS.

Other things in there as well, but the only take away he seemed to get from this was that HIS LIFEJACKETS WEREN'T EASILY ACCESSIBLE? This really takes the cake--he shouldn't have let himself get into that position--he just ignored the bleedin' obvious, and continued to do so.
    if you are thinking--"there but for the grace of god, goes I", maybe you shouldn't be on the water either. He ignored a lot of really obvious danger signs and just kept fishing, a long way offshore and in deteriorating weather. Maybe my instincts for danger at sea are better developed than the average fisho after 26 continuous years behind the wheel of a commercial fishing boat ranging far and wide offshore, and yes, things can go downhill in an instant at sea, but he had plenty of warnings, and chose to ignore them. The one thing that made those holes line up was him, and it sounds like he is very lucky to be alive. Lifejackets accessible? Wear an inflatable offshore at all times, and it's always accessible

im with you on this one ranmar...sounds like he was on a mission to fail the whole time...my little inflatables sit in the side pocket next to where we stand on either side of boat...no good up under the front where you cant get at them in a hurry....thanks for putting up the link an fotos guys..i thought people may enjoy readin bout that one...rick

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, awesome photos. The top of The Peak is , what, about 30 fathoms? Back when I lived in Sydney, blokes would dive it on compressed air, (no mix)on a shot line--go down to where you started feeling a bit narc'ed and come back up. Always in pairs, to keep an eye on one another. Risky business, never did it myself.
    I've certainly been guilty of having lifejackets stashed away, we all have. Nowadays, I find it easier to just slip the inflatable on, you forget they are there. Although maybe not in FNQ heat and humidity.

Darwin Awards failed this time.

50 knots. I was searching for survivors of the Rockin Robin and another missing Cat in 50 knots in 1990. Seas were 10 metres inside the reef. Pros don't line fish and amateurs certainly don't have a quick drop in sustained 30 knots let alone 50. Anything more than a couple of hundred metres from cover is getting smashed up. We'd often get 40+ each morning when the tunnel storms (morning glories) rolled down the Gulf and we had to prepare for those or lose gear off the trawler.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Perhaps the wind speed has been somewhat embellished?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Perhaps the wind speed has been somewhat embellished?
    yes, I thought so, although I didn't mention it. Some people confuse knots with km/hr, believe it or not. 50 knots is full gale strength, I couldn't imagine wanting to do a quick drop in that. 50 knots WSW over The Peak, in a 6m boat, is more like a struggle for survival than a rough trip home.

For sure, I once turned back to the Banks off Greenwell Point when I was nearly at the Shoalhaven River entrance and I remembered that there was a Quintrex still anchored when I left, the wind was "only" about 25-30 knots from the West, when I found them, they were still anchored, bailing with buckets, they said they couldn't get the anchor up! I told them to let it go with something tied to the rope and I will get it for them, by the time I got it up, they had made about 50 yards headway, I got them to head to Currarong so it would be at least kind of side on, that was a long trip home that one.