Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sunken boat

Re: sunken boat

I reckon the skipper of that story is being shy about the real reasons why things turned out like they did.
    Perhaps the reason why the wake of the ferry hit hard was because the hull was already taking water ... and why there is water in the back of the boat is because he forgot the bungs.
    Does insurance cover Darwinian dumbness ?
    I guess they never go and recover the boat to find out do they !

Bungs in or out doesn't matter when you are moving forward, only matters if you stop.

I was wondering if the bungs were the reason behind all the water in the boat also.

50 knot = 92 kmh winds, i wouldnt want to eveb be outside let alone out in the boat.

In about 2013 we pooled our money and had a heap of work done on it over that year, including a hard top roof put on it, an ally fabricator took it for about six months and welded all the corrosion spots, modified the back, put in a checker plate floor and painted it.
    Maybe she just cracked

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

The story reads there was a hard impact from a ferrys wake, and then goes on to state that , as the boat was sinking airbubbles could be seen coming from the front keel area. sure was lucky he didnt go down with his craft, also states that an ally fabricator had it for six months to correct all the corrosion spots, well one would think that the bottom of the hull simply peeled away like a skin on a custard.....

Might be what happened weld repairs are worse than new fabrication due to contamination from dirt oil rust etc and also previous stresses that have occurred on the parent material
    during its natural life
    Does not take much stress to make a crack run and open up that you don’t even know was there

Just wondering do they NDT marine repairs for pleasure craft or do you have to request it when you need to have repairs done

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Ausfish Platinum Member

I've ad long experience with plate hulls, both commercial and pleasure ( more big commercial), and we never had NDT done on repairs or modifications. If you requested it on a pleasure boat after having some fabricator do a patch-up job on an old platey, they'd fall about laughing, I reckon.
    With some plate designs there are areas you simply can't get to from inside, to wash, clean or inspect. if salt builds up and dries out, usually via the process of just a little water getting in each time, and being allowed to dry, the salt builds up and it will go right through. A lot of salt water sloshing around doesn't do any harm, but small amounts, left to dry, are the killers. I've seen 6mm plate on a commercial hull go through in just 2 years, due to this, and the fact he had some spare gear stacked over it, directly under the wheelhouse , which never moved. Sloppy on his part. The whole section of hull had to be cut out and replaced . In fact, when you get this kind of pinholing, it is often the only way to properly repair it. Just gouging it out and welding it up may not be a good fix. I've got a mate in this position at the moment-- older ( 25 years?) plate hull was put in the water a couple of years ago after a trip down a very bad track , and promptly started taking water. We pulled it out, and water was pissing from multiple holes alongside the keel towards the bow. This bloke is certainly not big on maintenance or cleanliness of his boats, and he'd owned this one for 20 years. I reckon the vibration of two hours of horrendous corrugations had finally knocked out the corrosion that was in there from salt buildup. I had some of that Knead-it putty, the waterproof version, which we forced into the holes, and built up around them, and stopped the leaks. This stuff is excellent for running repairs on alloy. He's had a welder look at it, and he just shook his head, because you'd have to rip the whole front deck up to get to it, and theres' no guarantees it would even be properly fixable even if you could get to it, without spending more money than the whole boat would be worth.

I don't reckon the original subject left the bungs out, because that would probably have manifested itself a lot quicker than it did. I think the old girl just gave up.

good point there Ranmar, good tip about the putty and gotta agree the old girl gave up and what a spot to go down, glad the fishos made it out alive but awesome the old girl went down to her briney grave on a well known spot.

Ausfish Platinum Member

That Knead-it putty is gold for quick fixes. I keep a tube of it in the ute, and, if I have to chuck it out and replace every three years or so, so what? I've fixed alloy cooling water castings, both fresh and salt, when the parts weren't readily availbale, and the fix has worked until I've got around to replacing the part.
    The repair I mentioned above on that boat was at least three years ago, and he reckons it still doesn't make any water.