Thread: Braid or Mono

Braid or Mono

I know it’s been asked before.

I’ve a shimano Talica 16 and a shimano tld 15

I’m going to try some trolling and will also be used live baiting around reefs.

What would you put on these reels, Braid or Mono and what breaking strains

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Braid or Mono

Braid on the Talica for sure, say 30lb, TLD up to you

Ausfish Platinum Member

Braid on both with a long mono leader tied with an FG knot. If you intend to live bait around reefs, I'd be using 50lb, not 30. The smash and grab brigade ( trout, etc) like to gulp and immediately turn for home, and take some stopping. I personally use 80lb braid and 120lb leader for livebaiting like this--the reel is a Stella 18000SW, rod is a Terez 6' 10" heavy, and it sits in a reinforced horizontal holder which in turn sits in a normal holder. This allows the rod to work properly, Leaving it straight up and down in a regular holder is asking for a snapped rod. The hardest part is getting the rod out of the holder when hooked against all that drag We also get sambos and mulloway fishing like this, so you need to be prepared, no point in fishing light. For trolling, 50lb braid, with some mono on top. I just use a 20 ft mono leader, others like to use more to get more stretch.

I think the TLD15 will be better off running mono, and being designated as the preferred trolling rod. It will do a decent job at that.

The TLD 15 does not pull enough drag (its max drag is only 10kg on the current version) to warrant anything heavier than 30lb mono, fishing heavier with it will simply be pointless as even at full drag, you will just be losing line.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Agreed, the Platapus lo-stretch mono is a good choice for trolling outfits, bit of give for the strike but not like trying to fight a fish with a rubber band when plenty of line out....

I also think 30lb braid plenty for the smaller Talica, 50lb for the lager units

Braid or Mono

With your help and the help from others I think I’ll put a large quantity of either 30 or 50 pound with a about maybe 10 metres of mono on top

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums