Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel efficiency

Re: Fuel efficiency

Thanks scottar that information and explanation is gold, I'll try to contact Merc or my local dealer and ask if I need a interface for the nmea and the Simrad. And I'll investigate the fuel data memory module for the Simrad for the virtual tank.
    I'd better start saving me thinks.
    Thanks again it's all that much clearer now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all
    In my opinion actual nm travelled are completely different from a fishing trip then what the gauges will tell you because when you are planning a trip you don’t factor in the extra travel due to swell etc to get there
    I always get completely different readings on how far I travel from the SafeTrx app then the Yamaha gauges tell me so my fuel economy really does not match my planned trip
    But I always have plenty up my sleeve so I don’t have to annoy some poor volunteer in the middle of the night to come rescue me lol
    My gauges tell me I have used more than I have been like that from the start and I like it that way
    That’s my 2 bobs worth

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Hi all
    In my opinion actual nm travelled are completely different from a fishing trip then what the gauges will tell you because when you are planning a trip you don’t factor in the extra travel due to swell etc to get there
    I always get completely different readings on how far I travel from the SafeTrx app then the Yamaha gauges tell me so my fuel economy really does not match my planned trip
    But I always have plenty up my sleeve so I don’t have to annoy some poor volunteer in the middle of the night to come rescue me lol
    My gauges tell me I have used more than I have been like that from the start and I like it that way
    That’s my 2 bobs worth

With the gauges I've struggled to work out exactly how far I've travelled, can't use the GPS as it includes drifts, even all that swaying backwards and forwards at anchor of a night. How does the Yammy gauge calculate distance, is it some pressure device through that tiny little hole in the leading edge of the gear case. I guess I prefer to have more fuel left over but I will still go with best estimate, one trip I did I supposedly used 345 litres leaving 15 litres in the tank but when I completely drained the tank 55 litres came out. Now if I'd known that I would have opened the throttle on the last 60km across Hervey Bay which would have made Mojoes happier as he slowed down to accomodation me. I know fuel usage is a little different to distance travelled but on my calculations before and during the trip the gauges were telling me what I'd worked out. Like you Jason, I prefer to have more than what the gauges are telling me. You been out lately?
    Sam

The yamaha gauge can take speed from either water pressure or gps depending on set up. It also automatically deducts 10% as a reserve I think.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The yamaha gauge can take speed from either water pressure or gps depending on set up. It also automatically deducts 10% as a reserve I think.
    Scott, my gauges are from water pressure then as I don't have it connected to the GPS, yes the gauge is setup so that you tell it the tank size and it only shows 90% ie in my case a 200 litre tank shows 180 litres.

If you have a recent simrad unit, it should be able to run the full current VesselView software. You then need the vesselview link to bridge the smart craft data to nmea for the simrad. I know my vesselview 702 is a cutdown simrad Nss 7 evo2 ( has Gps but no sounder ) I think the new 703 is a full simrad unit. In the vesselview link doco it says you can run the full mercury vesselview software on various lowrance and simrad displays.
    The fuel management on the 702 seems pretty accurate and displays flow rates and economy and trip fuel. I know my Garmin seems to get engine data from the link as well and also displays fuel data.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Hi all
    That’s my 2 bobs worth
    I have my Suzuki DF115 networked to my Lowrance and Simrad displays.

After the initial connection some years ago, I had to calibrate the fuel flow and now, fuel used data is incredibly accurate. Within 1-2%.

The Simrads now have Merc and Suzuki engine data integration. Google will provide further info. Basically you get a dashboard customised to the data output by your brand motor.

http://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/en-GB...ink-en-gb.aspx

Also, my Simrad GO7xse has a neat feature called Trip Intel.

Each time shortly after I launch, I get a message pop up asking me if I want to start a new trip or continue the last trip.

Each trip is then individually logged on a record, and I can call it up and see for each trip, the date, distance travelled, trip time in hrs and minutes, avrage speed, and fuel used. There are also overall stats that give me average fuel economy. Very neat stuff, and very accurate.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I’ve a 2000 model Johnson 115 (2 stroke). I wish I could have a gauge that showed my fuel usage.

I’ll just have to wait until I upgrade one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Scott, my gauges are from water pressure then as I don't have it connected to the GPS, yes the gauge is setup so that you tell it the tank size and it only shows 90% ie in my case a 200 litre tank shows 180 litres.
    There are a few different series of the Yamaha gauges Sam. Some use an in line fuel flow sender and some use the Yamaha canbus data. If you have Command Link series gauges, connecting to a NMEA2000 plotter or network is quite often a quick and easy exercise - just a cable in a lot of cases. If it pre dates Command Link it can't be done and if it is the latest Command Link Plus the literature advises an interface is required - although it advises one is required for Command Link which I know to not be the case - I haven't come across any Command Link Plus to dig any further into it.

Scott, I wish I could understand your last post but when it comes to all of this stuff I am totally lost. For interest sake I will try and find out what my gauges are and take it from there. I don't think there is an inline sensor unless it's in the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    I’ve a 2000 model Johnson 115 (2 stroke). I wish I could have a gauge that showed my fuel usage.

I’ll just have to wait until I upgrade one day.

You can but it needs to run on an impeller type sender - some of which are accurate and reliable, some not so much. Unfortunately the reliability and accuracy seems to be determined by luck of the draw - not a particular brand or model. The cost is also up there a bit if you need a full gauge/sender/memory module if required/NMEA2000 backbone set up. If it is just the sender and backbone kit to work with an existing NMEA2000 device - namely a Garmin as these have the fuel management software built in (no extra memory module required) it's not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Scott, I wish I could understand your last post but when it comes to all of this stuff I am totally lost. For interest sake I will try and find out what my gauges are and take it from there. I don't think there is an inline sensor unless it's in the motor.
    Post up a pic of the gauges from the front and the rear and I'll see what I can nut out.

[QUOTE=552Evo;1640315]Thanks scottar that information and explanation is gold, I'll try to contact Merc or my local dealer and ask if I need a interface for the nmea and the Simrad. And I'll investigate the fuel data memory module for the Simrad for the virtual tank.
    I'd better start saving me thinks.
    Thanks again it's all that much clearer now.

Evo, not sure if you have this sorted yet but my 2c for what it`s worth. I have the same motor as you connected to lowrance units. The vessel view gauges act as the interface and have an nmea port on the back that you just need to connect to your backbone. Look up nmea starter kit on lowrance site if you don`t have backbone yet. I have the data set up as overlay on the chart as attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks robcam, no nothing sorted yet. After reading all the information in this thread I’ve established I’d better do 2 things.
    1-save up.
    2- despite all the information I’ve read, I’d better go see and talk to a knowledgeable retailer that can help.
    It seems depending on where you look on the www there are different ways to do this stuff too.
    I’m not going to be networking a bunch of stuff I’m mainly keen to sort out fuel usage one way or another. Really it’s a catch 22 because It seems to me from what I’ve read a fuel talk level sensor is not so accurate and I gather “fuel used” using one of the vessel view network options may be the way to go but it’s not straight forward either way.
    At the end of the he day anyone in control of a boat wants to retain a fuel buffer (eg 30% capacity) and not run the tank down to 5 litres left.
    So a simple level sensor may be the simplest gauge of that.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    You can but it needs to run on an impeller type sender - some of which are accurate and reliable, some not so much. Unfortunately the reliability and accuracy seems to be determined by luck of the draw - not a particular brand or model. The cost is also up there a bit if you need a full gauge/sender/memory module if required/NMEA2000 backbone set up. If it is just the sender and backbone kit to work with an existing NMEA2000 device - namely a Garmin as these have the fuel management software built in (no extra memory module required) it's not so bad.
    I was of the belief my motor is to old to run on NMEA

I’ll just stick with the normal fuel gauge and try and get a rough idea from fuel used to distance travelled

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app