Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel efficiency

Fuel efficiency

So I had a morning on the water chasing dinner today and for the first time ever I had a look at the "fuel" options on the Vessel View system.
    My boats got a Merc 150 4 stroke.
    So from memory,
    WOT @ 5800rpm was about 38knts using 56 litres/hour.
    @ 26knts using 26 litres/hour
    For me in the conditions today, 26knts was a comfortable speed getting from A to B, as I moved around a bit today.

I want to understand and not guess the fuel efficiency side of those figures. Sorry if it is obvious to to some but this time today my head is mush after working till midnight last night then up at 3am to catch the tide at 5:30 and I'm still going at 9 pm. Boat home and cleaned up in time for the Boss to get home at 5pm then a leisurely 2 hour drive to "get away" for the night.
    So at 26 knots per hour, using 26 litres per hour, does that equate to 1 litre of fuel to 1 nautical mile ?
    If it does or doesn't, is that good bad or average ?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Fuel efficiency

Correct, but it's not knots per hour, it's just knots. I'd say thats about par for the setup
    Cheers
    Rod

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

I’d be happy with those figures. For my 5.9 vermont with a DF140 I was 1nm/L as you are. With a F225 it was .7-.8nm/L and now with a 175 Etec I’m usually around .8-.9nm/L.

Thanks Rod and Marchy,

Ausfish Bronze Member

At cruise (2017 yellowfin 6700 hard top) with 225HO G2 - 3250rpm, 43 kph (23.2 kn) I get 2.0 km/l or 1.1 nm/l. 4 POB and full fuel in calm conditions.

EVO, you should do a run and test the boat at various revs, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, etc until WOT, have someone write them down and you could be surprised at the results. Now if you decided to test a new prop do it all again and compare again. I usually graph the data and you will find that neither fuel consumption nor revs rise consistently. Also if you are doing it on calm water you will get different results if you are running with the wind or against, against usually gets better results as the boat acts like an aerofoil.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Does your VV give you the option of showing litres/NM or KM? These are your most meaningful figures. Litres/hr are only relevant to how many miles/KM ( I am of the personal opinion that kilometres do not exist the wet side of the high tide mark, but thats just me) you are doing in that hour. So stick with a km or nm per litre readout. This is how you find your sweet spot, and you'll also know how much more it is really costing you when you decide to go hammer down on flat water.
    And with your merc, you also have the option of the Vessel View mobile. Before someone starts eyerolling and saying WTF do you want it on your phone for, it gives you a hard record of what you are actually doing, and can also see faulty codes. It's a bluetooth module which plugs into your system, I have one to go with my new 150, soon to be fitted. Hard numbers for the sea trial, if nothing else. See it here. https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/au/...elview-mobile/

Thanks Dignity yes I should do that recording of data. Will do.
    Ranmar when I checked on Saturday the display said litres per hour. I'm not 100% sure I can change that setting, maybe there's another screen.
    I like the idea of the mobile app.
    So then I'll need a Bluetooth module for the Vessel View and another module for the Simrad, where does it end ha ha. By the time I get the modules there will be something else newer and better.
    I've never paid too much attention to the VV to be honest. Half of the data fields are empty because they need additional sensors. I'll usually only pay attention in what it's got to show if there's something wrong.
    What would be good is if you link it to the Simrad and it shows you litres per trip with distance covered or something like that.
    Just on a side note though I think my next investment would/should be a decent transducer before I spend $$$ on extra Bluetooth modules.

Shouldn't need the Fuel Data Memory module to get a fuel economy (distance/litre) readout if the NMEA2000 is hooked up. You will need it if you want to set up a virtual tank to show litres remaining.

Fuel efficiency

Thanks scottar, this module and nmea stuff is an unknown for me.
    I can understand the need for a module to facilitate Bluetooth, but what does the nmea do ?
    I thought it was like a network hub is that right ?
    So I need a "fuel data memory module" to get all the fuel data ? This is getting crazy.
    I've tried before to set up the fuel remaining on VV and it seems to me you've got to set it up every time you fill it and most of the time I would only use 23-30 litres so I don't bother. But if I had a virtual tank via an nmea then this would be easier ?

Attachment 116774

Is that what you want it to do/ look like

2018-02-19 16.18.51.jpg

Sorry banksmister, I can't see the image ?
    Can anyone else ?

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Sorry banksmister, I can't see the image ?
    Can anyone else ?

I can see the second image, not the first

I can see it now.
    That's the same screen I've got but I don't think I have the trim and fueltrip. I've got the trim as a bar graph on the main page only when I activate the trim. I'd like to have as many data fields functioning as possible - so is it just a matter of setting up something to get all the fuel and trim fields or are there sensors that need installing ?

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Thanks scottar, this module and nmea stuff is an unknown for me.
    I can understand the need for a module to facilitate Bluetooth, but what does the nmea do ?
    I thought it was like a network hub is that right ?
    So I need a "fuel data memory module" to get all the fuel data ? This is getting crazy.
    I've tried before to set up the fuel remaining on VV and it seems to me you've got to set it up every time you fill it and most of the time I would only use 23-30 litres so I don't bother. But if I had a virtual tank via an nmea then this would be easier ?

If you want to use fuel data in the Simrad, NMEA2000 is the communication protocol (essentially it is canbus) that it uses to communicate with the engine. Not sure whether Merc provides this as standard with their smart gauge set ups or whether you require an interface.

Once it is all connected, the engine will send fuel flow data to the Simrad which it can display as flow/time or by using it's GPS it can calculate economy (flow/distance). What the Navico unit's don't have is the ability to set up a virtual tank all by themselves. They require a fuel data memory module. Essentially the module is the virtual tank - you tell it (by programming it with the Simrad display) how big your tank is, fill the tank up, tell it the tank is full and then the module deducts any flow indicated by the engine and calculates how many litres are left and sends this data to the Simrad. The set up does require that you either tell it when you add fuel by either adding however many litres you add or by telling it you have filled the tank.