Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mercury Outboards

New Mercury Outboards

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/scou...-115169056/Amp

215kg V6 from 175 to 225hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Re: New Mercury Outboards

Can't say I'm in love with the appearance, I think the V6 is based on that funny almost inline configuration which makes the engine narrow and shorter, with a single head for both banks.

I was opening the link thinking who the hell cares what the hell they look like then BAM. Gawd they look awfull. Like would affect resale awfull. What were they thinking. If anything like the 150s I'm sure.their good... Need an aftermarket box cover

They look different - the longer they are around and the more we see of them the less obtrusive their appearance will be - much like a lot of major model changes with cars. Personally I don't mind it and if they are as good as the blurb, with their weight specs I think we will see them sooner rather than later.

wonder how they will compare with their Verado 6 cylinder models?

There is going to be a complete engine line reshuffle so there won't be much competing HP models, probably the Optimax will disappear after a while, leaving only 4 strokes, and the Verado will be only the very top HP engines.

Not a fan but the shape may grow on us, but it’s not about looks it’s all about performance. We shall see

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

This looks interesting
    https://www.facebook.com/trailerboat...20402961697679

For those without FB

AND AGAIN! FROM Mercury Marine Australia & New Zealand

NEW MERCURY 150HP Pro XS FourStroke Outboard
    Building on the success of the Mercury 115 Pro XS FourStroke, Mercury Marine has created its new 150 Pro XS FourStroke – an engine which sets a new standard in the 150hp high output category.
    Mercury’s new 150 Pro XS more than lives up to the legendary Pro XS reputation for superior hole shot, top-end speed, and durability.
    This new FourStroke is an ideal fit for performance oriented boating; for recreational, fishing and competition applications.
    "The new 150 Pro XS is based on one of Mercury's most successful and widely adopted engine platforms - the Mercury 150hp," said John Buelow, Mercury Marine vice president of category management.
    "Building on this solid foundation, we’ve engineered the new performance-tuned 150 Pro XS to be the quickest, lightest and most advanced high output outboard in its class.”
    The new Mercury Marine 150 Pro XS delivers:
    • Quickest acceleration — The engine features class leading 0–30km/h heavy load acceleration.
    • Lightest weight — At 207kgs, the new 150 Pro XS is 9kgs lighter than the nearest competitive offering.
    • Largest displacement — At 3.0L, the new 150 Pro XS also boasts the largest displacement in the 150hp category.
    • Extra torque — Mercury's exclusive Transient Spark Technology optimises spark timing, resulting in additional torque during hole shot. The additional torque translates into quicker acceleration.
    • Higher full-throttle RPM — Increased maximum engine RPM from 5,800 to 6,000 allows for a wider selection of propeller pitches and the ability to dial-in performance for superior hole shot or top speed.
    • Improved fuel efficiency — The new Mercury 150 Pro XS is 5% more fuel efficient than the 2.5L OptiMax 150 Pro XS.
    • Performance gearcase — The new 150 Pro XS features a 2.08:1 gear ratio that delivers more torque to the prop shaft for improved acceleration. In addition to the standard water pickups on the side of the gearcase, this engine also features four extra water pickups on the nose of the gearcase torpedo. This provides greater flexibility to mount the engine higher, install a jack plate, or trim the engine more aggressively while running to optimise performance.
    • Optimised mount package — Performance-tuned engine mounts provide for improved high speed handling characteristics.
    • Superior charging output and battery management — The new 150 Pro XS features a class-leading charging output of 60 amps as well as idle charge battery-management capability, which protects consumers from draining batteries while operating multiple electronic devices and trolling.
    • Smooth performance — The new 150 Pro XS boasts significantly lower seat and helm vibration levels compared to leading competitors in the 150hp high-output segment.
    • Corrosion protection — The new 150 Pro XS provides superior protection against corrosion. Mercury's proprietary ultra low copper alloys make this outboard better able to withstand the elements, including the rigors of saltwater operation. Mercury provides an industry leading standard three year warranty against damage due to corrosion.

Isn't Evinrude covered for longer for corrosion? 5 years I think?

Personally there's no way I'd spoil the look of a perfectly good boat with those monstrosities, reminds me of the ugly evinrude. I love mercury & plan to buy 2 x 150's next year, but if this look gets extended to the 150 range I'll cop the extra weight & go Honda.

G'day

Must be my generation, but i love the new look. It's refreshing to see innovation and design being pushed further and further. Without it, we'd get nowhere.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

Must be my generation, but i love the new look. It's refreshing to see innovation and design being pushed further and further. Without it, we'd get nowhere.

Dave
    Well i am over sixty and they look the goods. It seems Evinrude has really got the others to lift their game, although a few features could have been incorporated like auto trim , power steering and fly by wire. I think, love them or hate them, ETECs are still ahead of the curve. I guess if weight is your only criterea, its probably a good bit of kit.
    I like the marketing, 6000rpm instead of 5800 rpm for better prop selection. If you have nothing else, anything is good, hahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliduck View Post
    Personally there's no way I'd spoil the look of a perfectly good boat with those monstrosities, reminds me of the ugly evinrude. I love mercury & plan to buy 2 x 150's next year, but if this look gets extended to the 150 range I'll cop the extra weight & go Honda.
    Honda released some new models too. No mention of weight reductions though

I guess this is just like any other product, manufacturers just step past competitors all the time, makes little difference what it is, like (say) laptops, someone makes a 12" screen, the someone else a 14" then a 16 and so it goes, then they make them thinner, then lighter and so it goes. Evinrude started the "space age" look, so, Mercury had to better it, but make the motor lighter as well, it's only a matter of time before Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda or someone else trumps Mercury, it's just normal product innovation.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

Dave
    Gone 65 myself, and I like the look of them. And I have a brand new 150 merc sitting in the dealers shed to go on the new boat, and it has effectively been superseded.