Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mercury Outboards

Re: New Mercury Outboards

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Gone 65 myself, and I like the look of them. And I have a brand new 150 merc sitting in the dealers shed to go on the new boat, and it has effectively been superseded.
    Hate it when that happens. At least hour model having been out a while should have the bugs sorted.

New Mercury Outboards

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Gone 65 myself, and I like the look of them. And I have a brand new 150 merc sitting in the dealers shed to go on the new boat, and it has effectively been superseded.
    Me too if I had known I would have bought the Xs version

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Platinum Member

Oh well, I picked it up at a really good price when they had that sale before xmas, vessel view mobile module thrown in as well. Now we know why

Ausfish Silver Member

i remember as a kid over 30 years ago when we all drove cars that we now call classics and muscle cars with nice lines and shape.. and then i remember seeing all the movies about the future and nearly every future movie they have them concept like looking cars. and then watching beyond 2000 they also made all the future cars boats etc look well,, like that ugly mercury in the post lol and cars are slowy looking more futuristic in there shape. so brace yourselves for more spacey looking motors and cars etc.. oooh and i do remember thinnking way back when cars looked good that no way people in the future will be caught in those ugly cars etc.. and here they are lol..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ausfish Silver Member

but just to add an after thought to my last post, they would look kool on a speedboat or where the boat matches the lines, but hopefully not all motors are the same.. and there are some old school ones in THE FUTURE... ha ha..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Nah mate, they make your thirty year old boat look smart, lol

As far as future shapes of cars/boats, we have a pretty good selection right now. An old ferrari still looks the goods, but an old E_type still looks like crap. Fill the wheel arches of an old ferrari and it looks quite modern. Cant do the same to jags. Some designers were on the money, lots definitely had the ugly wand. Some still do, new SUV Lexus is a case in point.
    On the whole, i think they are looking smarter all the time ( with some exceptions of coarse). Yes i look back at the older cars with affection because of what they could do, but the acid test is whether i would buy one now. NO WAY JOSE. Death traps like minis should stay in the museum, lol. My weapon of choice was a Fiat 124 sport. It was way way ahead of the curve in 1974, not bad for something designed in 1956. Today, even a corolla has it all. Its now a historical memory for me.
    Even outboards like yamaha 115hp 2 strokes look decidedly old fashioned.

Considering the E type was made in the sixties, I think it was way ahead of its time in styling, just like some older Mercedes, especially the old convertible that had a hardtop with the inwards curve in the roof line, I personally don't like the look of the Evinrude or the new Mercury, but, over time, it will become just another motor, because they will all go that way!

Your right Noem, the E-Type did look flash in the sixties but it hasnt dated that well. Hell we thought kingswoods were great too, lol.
    the look of outboards hasnt really changed in 30 yrs, so we associate an outboard with that look. In the last thirty years, we have also grown a lot smarter and improved technology beyond our dreams, so its only natural outboards would absorb some of the tech. Like it or not, the reality will be in ten years time "do we still like it or loath it". A ferrari was a thing of beauty 30yrs ago and still is. Its The same car but different. Same with the looks of an etec/mercury/honda. Same but different.. Or would you prefer a T-model? Lol

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Nah mate, they make your thirty year old boat look smart, lol

As far as future shapes of cars/boats, we have a pretty good selection right now. An old ferrari still looks the goods, but an old E_type still looks like crap. Fill the wheel arches of an old ferrari and it looks quite modern. Cant do the same to jags. Some designers were on the money, lots definitely had the ugly wand. Some still do, new SUV Lexus is a case in point.
    On the whole, i think they are looking smarter all the time ( with some exceptions of coarse). Yes i look back at the older cars with affection because of what they could do, but the acid test is whether i would buy one now. NO WAY JOSE. Death traps like minis should stay in the museum, lol. My weapon of choice was a Fiat 124 sport. It was way way ahead of the curve in 1974, not bad for something designed in 1956. Today, even a corolla has it all. Its now a historical memory for me.
    Even outboards like yamaha 115hp 2 strokes look decidedly old fashioned.
    Spot on. Spot a HD holden in traffic nowadays, and it looks like its from another planet, and not in a good way. Yes, I grew up with those cars, but have no real nostalgia for them--appalling handling, no brakes, and they really didn't go that well. A 90's Hyundai Excel would kick their arse in every aspect ( including longevity) except actual internal size. Fiat 124S ? F**k yeah, my mates' old man had one --we used to steal it when he was out, that thing was amazing. And I had a Mk1 Mini Cooper S, lot of fun, but never safe.
    My Commando, of course, is a timeless classic that has passers-by stopping and looking With the simple brake upgrade , and a few modern improvements, its an everyday rider.

Nice.
    Wish I could say the same about my 61 Triumph Thunderbird. Nice to look at and satisfying to kick into life but have to admit I'd rather ride the 2 year old Ducati.
    Maybe the 59 T110 will be different when I get around to restoring it....one day...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ranmar, awesome bike, I ride too, had a fair few bikes, just 1000 tourer now but my favourite would have been my old rm125 as a kid, powerband and the memories just lock it in, lol
    some of the old cars like Lx/lh torana;s with ls upgrades, chassis kits, and brake upgrades would drive better or as well as some new cars and be more fun as a driver, and I love the old school look.

Its amazes me as humans how much we value "look". For the majority its comes in above all else in value. Who cares if its ones of the most inventive designs going.

Who gives a shit what it looks like.If you care what it looks like you must care more about how your boat looks in the driveway than actually catching fish. I bet you all look like supermodels when your out dropping a bait down..
    Its a square box on the back of your boat designed to push your boat from place to place. ifs it lighter, more powerful and more economical i'd buy one in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Who gives a shit what it looks like..
    Im all about function over fashion - but still prefer both when possible.
    Lucky everyone is not the same though, ugly woman would never get hitched!

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    They look different - the longer they are around and the more we see of them the less obtrusive their appearance will be - much like a lot of major model changes with cars. Personally I don't mind it and if they are as good as the blurb, with their weight specs I think we will see them sooner rather than later.

Nope, every time I walk past the local ETEC dealer, (only 1 block away from me) I still look at those G2 models and wonder what they were thinking, especially those horrible lime green models. But obviously someone in the Merc stable likes them so out comes a similar design.

Ausfish Bronze Member

I must admit, I thought along similar lines but the G2 grows on you. I bought one because the G2 technology is far above the rest and now they are playing catch up, in looks anyway.
    Evinrude seem to have stopped playing the light weight game, the 3.4 litre G2's at 253 kg are not that light but that does include the integrated hydraulic power steering which is a game changer.

It makes me wonder with the weight reduction of the new Merc. how light is too light.