Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too old to push.

Too old to push.

Would appreciate some feedback on motorized jockey wheels as we have just downsized into a new home and have room for the boat down the side of house but will take some maneuvering (above my pay grade) It's fairly level ground but will have to travel over some grass before reaching the cement. Appreciate feedback either way. TIA guys.

Re: Too old to push.

Been a couple of threads on here about them. Can't put my finger on them just now but try doing a search.
    Grass could be a problem unless you go with one that has tracks as the wheel type will sink in.
    How big is the boat and what weight is on the toe ball

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

What about tow ball on bullbar? (And low range 2wd) pivots at the front wheel, facing trailer. Steers the same way as wheel turn

Thanks tropicrows I did suss out a couple of threads before posting and was hoping for some updates on how the purchases were going. I have a 5.3 polycraft which is pretty weighty, last time on scales was around 1800kg and ball weight was 120kg (wouldn't hurt to update those figures as has been a few years since checking) I was wondering about the grassed area as the ground is so hard the shovel bounces off it but would a different story when running a narrow wheel over it.

Thanks myusernam that is definitely an option.

Not that they would necessarily be the same but I used to use a manual one to push a 4.5 tinnie into a shed - I had to stand on the draw bar as without extra weight the wheel would just spin on the grass any time the trailer wheels had anything to go up or over. If it hadn't have been a rental I would have drilled the slab and mounted a winch at the back of the shed - reversing in wasn't an option due to height restriction.

That's a fair bit of weight to be pushing. No easy solution, I know in years past a towbar on the front of the vehicle was a great solution, but I have no idea if it is suitable for newer vehicles, with that weight and a bit of a solid push would it set off the airbags if it was sudden. 2k a pop to replace I'd have to think about it.

Don’t air bags have inertia built into the system ? Ie they would only go off if you run into something or something hits you ? I wouldn’t have thought pushing a boat would be much different to towing a boat in that regard ? Ie the air bag sensors are not mounted on the front bar they’re mounted on the front chassis rails ?

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Yes, there are gforce deceleration trip points to set them off as well. Even small rear end accidents don't set them off.

Yes I have one of the $300 ebay special 12v jockey wheels on my camper trailer to move around on concrete. So far so good - I have no idea how it would go on grass - not too well I suspect.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

If your front towbar mounts to the chassis then air bag is not a risk.

It is no more risk than rear towbar mounted to chassis, the chassis is the chassis.

I have always used them, with big boats too.

I've got one of these for a boat of similar weight to yours. Works well.

Jeepers for the price of one of those id get a ride on mower or a secondhand four-wheeler and do it with that

I used my old Cox 12hp ride on mower. It moved my 4.9 Markham Whaler with twin 70 Mariners and also moved my 16ft Millard caravan. Best part was I could also mow the grass with it. I fitted a towbar tongue with ball. Sat on the bonnet to stop it wheel standing and worked the forward and reverse pedal from there. It did a great job. I still have it
    tug telluM
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Jeepers for the price of one of those id get a ride on mower or a secondhand four-wheeler and do it with that
    just what i was going to suggest.. for the price of that u can get a 2nd hand cheap ride on and it will go over the grass etc,,
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    What about tow ball on bullbar? (And low range 2wd) pivots at the front wheel, facing trailer. Steers the same way as wheel turn
    Great idea in your yard, but if you drive on the road with it still attached to your car you could gain the attention of an observant law enforcement type individual!!

Tow bar

A properly designed and fitted towbar is essential for towing. The rated capacity of the towbar and coupling should not be exceeded.
    The towbar should be clearly and permanently marked with its:

• Maximum rated capacity
    • Make and model of the vehicle it is intended for or the manufacturer’s part number
    • Manufacturer’s name or trade mark.

This is compulsory for vehicles built after 1 January 1992. The exception is where the towbar is a permanent part of the vehicle.
    Towbars must not protrude dangerously when there is no trailer connected.