Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4.5m Tinnie- What's hot and what's not.

Re: 4.5m Tinnie- What's hot and what's not.

Had a look at Bluefin website, they don't do the Colt anymore. However the Wildcat Pro looks nice. Bluefin might just make the cut. They build them in their own factory right? I'm always a bit suspicious of "boat builders" who don't actually build their own boats. Not saying there's anything wrong with Telwater but just seems a bit mass produced. BTW I was told not to buy a painted boat if I'm going to use it for crabbing and cast netting. Does the paint scratch or come off easily?
    Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Gimme the 4.5 and the 4.2 both have 3mm bottom and 2mm sides with a lot of ribs. Mine is an 04 and you would never know it.

Mine has 25l of fuel under the front cast deck, a 130amp hour AGM forward of that (also under casting deck...heaps of room) and a 55lb IPilot.

Goes hard. One up very well balanced. The 55lb ipilot (new model) holds the boat with full fuel, 2 batteries (100ah in rear and 25 litres in rear) 3 guys and all fishing gear easily in spotlock in solid 10knots and fast current. I'm a big fan.

M8 have a look here. My 4.5 with 2 heavy blokes at rear and lighter POB up front being pursued by the 4.3 Mangrove Jack.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Mate they built them on the Gold Coast for many years and I understand they recently moved to Melbourne. They have a good video that shows them tacking the build and using small runs of MIG then a TIG guy comes along and TIG welds most of it. I can tell you on mine the welds are of very good quality.

I know a guy at a Merc dealer who sold them for many years (then stopped because of reasons not relevant) still raves over them and reckons when drilling the Blue Fins of any size the drill was working harder that other brands they drilled including the one they now stock. He believed that the Fin used a very good grade of alloy.

Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Mate they built them on the Gold Coast for many years and I understand they recently moved to Melbourne. They have a good video that shows them tacking the build and using small runs of MIG then a TIG guy comes along and TIG welds most of it. I can tell you on mine the welds are of very good quality.

I know a guy at a Merc dealer who sold them for many years (then stopped because of reasons not relevant) still raves over them and reckons when drilling the Blue Fins of any size the drill was working harder that other brands they drilled including the one they now stock. He believed that the Fin used a very good grade of alloy.

Cheers

Bluefin have just reborn after a lot of s@#t going on behind that scenes! The new boats are not made here in Australia nor do they have a factory/office here any more, they are made over in China

Like lots of brands, they die, get reborn, die, start again with new owners, move offshore, who knows what's made where these days, Quintrex, Stacer and Savage might not be top of the tree, but they are made here (so far) and have dealers everywhere, mass produced to a price.

We have this in the family - 4.8 polycraft frontrunner. It gets bashed up creeks and up the inside of Fraser regularly. They do a 4.5 as well which I also had. Just another option.

The old boy dragged it up to Bundy to get a bit of work done to it last year. They had it at the polycraft factory all day and handed it back with all the latest revisions - NO CHARGE. I'll give them a free plug every day for that sort of care and attention.

IMG_5841.jpg
    nil carborundum illegitimi

CBC I nearly went poly. I like them but just a few factors that drew me away. It's a close run thing good alloy v good placcy.

If it can be confirmed that Blue Fin went OS it's a shame. I dare say it was quality materials and production costs yet again in Oz not meeting the market desire for cheap cheap cheap (...oh and quality too please! But cheap!).

I would buy (as I did) a second hand blue fin in a heart beat. Lifted the floor, likely for the first-time in 14 years it's perfect. No corrosion.

Cheers

If bluefin are made in China now then I wouldn’t be interested either. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Hey GBC. Had a quick look on the internet and the more I think about it, the more I think poly's not a bad way to go for a small boat. Do they scuff up easily, how do you look after them? Besides Polycraft and Smartwave, are there any others out there worth having a look?
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

No not easily. They are pretty polarising, you either love them or hate them. Great seaworthiness, can be wet, pretty heavy, will never wear out or break, plastic floats so you aren’t going to sink one ever - the one in the pic floats with the bungs out with about 200mm in the stern - pretty impressive. Finish is about poly water tank standard, attaching rego labels is a pain - nothing sticks to the plastic. I had my 4.5 out a long way offshore and always felt good in it - 100 metre line behind Moreton. Go have a look and see if you like or hate, then test drive one in a strong wind warning and give it a workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nil carborundum illegitimi

GBC I would definitely put it in the top 5 if going new. I have read about but not seen breakage where the spray didn't go thick enough but there aren't many reports and there are a lot more reports of welds coming astray and stress cracks especially with cheaper tinnies and also dearer ones where funky shape stretching is adopted on certain models...

I reckon consider a new Poly and put it up in the top few to buy new.

Cheers

GBC I would definitely put it in the top 5 if going new. I have read about but not seen breakage where the spray didn't go thick enough but there aren't many reports and there are a lot more reports of welds coming astray and stress cracks especially with cheaper tinnies and also dearer ones where funky shape stretching is adopted on certain models...

I reckon consider a new Poly and put it up in the top few to buy new.

Cheers

Only one boat to buy. 460 quinnie renegade. Best boat i h ave ever had. Do urself a favour and put it up the top of ur list

Ok for so many Blue Fin fans they have recommenced manufacturing

https://m.facebook.com/bluefinboats/?__tn__=C-R

I thought they have moved down south and they are showing 7 Hills NSW on their page.

Cheers

Had a quick look at FB and website and they remain vague as to where the hulls are built unless I missed something.

They may not be fully back yet. Can't see phone number to call and ask where made. Cheers

In one of the photos on their Facebook page there are about half dozen people’s in the background in the factory they all look Chinese. Not conclusive but just sayin.......

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums