Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Familys Seafarer Ventura 17 to buy?

Re: Familys Seafarer Ventura 17 to buy?

I own a vsea near identical hull shape but 4.8 anyone that says these have a flat hull has no idea what they are talkin bout..vseas Vikings are in the top ten ever built in aus buy it and put 115 2stroke a 4st will be too heavy...I have just put a 90 yam on my vsea its 12kg heavier than the 60 was on it..a fourstroke would have been another 30kg...2st now are good on fuel give better takeoff out of the hole and are cheaper..rick

Familys Seafarer Ventura 17 to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by rickmarlin62 View Post
    I own a vsea near identical hull shape but 4.8 anyone that says these have a flat hull has no idea what they are talkin bout..vseas Vikings are in the top ten ever built in aus buy it and put 115 2stroke a 4st will be too heavy...I have just put a 90 yam on my vsea its 12kg heavier than the 60 was on it..a fourstroke would have been another 30kg...2st now are good on fuel give better takeoff out of the hole and are cheaper..rick
    Yes Rick I totally agree. I’ve owned a V-Sea like yours which had a 60 Johnson on the back. I now own a 2000 model V-Sea with a 115 Johnson Oceanpro (a little heavy but I’ll put up with that) and I totally agree about hull shape and it’s seaworthy attributes.

A great sea boat and steady at rest. I’ve been in quite a number of other brand boats and consider the Seafarer one of the best.

Some may say I’m biased, but I call it as I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Dynamicdans if the boat is in as good a condition as you say, go for it, but don’t be tempted to put to much weight on the back, but again don’t underpower.

You could consider trim tabs

https://boatmags.com/boat-trim-tabs/

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

People get a bit carried away at times with power. I had a 115 V4 Yammy on my Vagabond which is considerably bigger than the boat you are considering (see the Seafarer Appreciation Thread above) and it got up and went. So happy I replaced with another the same but Salt Water series. They box above most inlines from Merc etc of the same 'rating'. If I went 4 stroke it would have been 150hp. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

By the way, I never said it had a flat hull, just flatter than i like.
    Having another look at the side on photo, it appears the colour of the trailer has fooled my eyes into thinking the hull is flatter than it is.
    Now there is another expense to put on the list.

thats a lovely looking boat with the advantages of being in good condition, fine bow entry with flared shape to keep spray down, half cabin set up to protect against green waves/weather, moderate dead rise for stability at rest , family orientated combo, i know nothing of these seafarers but i would put a new donk on her and reckon she be a good sea boat that would last for many years. At the end of the day $$$$ come into it and surely a boat like this can do everthing a new heavily priced big brand name could do . go for it .

If the boat hasn't been in the water for 30 years it probably does have a stuffed transom, stringers and floor. They will have just dried out so appear solid. Like others have said, if you want it for keepsake go ahead. If you want your money back in a few years dont bother. The hulls themselves perform well, personally a big fan of the 5.2m seafarer hull. Minimum power of 90hp to perform, 115hp a great match, and 200hp alot of fun but still controllable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamicdans View Post
    Thanks, its great to hear from another owner with good reviews - it gives me more confidence in going ahead. What year is yours? Its also good to hear that they can handle a large motor (115hp) ok.
    Not sure about year. Probably mid 80s.
    The hull is not too flat. Its the same hull as a Viking, which is famous for punching well above its weight.
    19-20 degree deadrise from memory.
    Its a really dry boat, hardly ever get any spray even in shit conditions, that big flair on the bow works a treat.
    Solid and heavy. Couldn't be happier.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

hey andy..all good they are 19 deg so theres not many that are steeper but still sit stable at rest with wide reverse chines...rick

I posted a copy of the original sales brochures ages ago, you might find them with a search.

I saved it Noel.
    Attachment 116779
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Silver Member

The Ventura was my dream boat in the mid 70's.

I still recall the "Seacraft" article in about 1975 about the then newly released Seafarer Ventura
    The testers were gob-smacked that it could do 42mph (not knots) with a 100hp merc straight 6. And they were not prop rated back then!

I went shopping for one in 1977, but found a "Vagabond" with a 135 V4 Evinrude for the same money ($5,000 from memory).
    Blew up the V4 on 3rd outing and ended up with a slightly used 175 Black Max.

But my point is - Lindsay built bloody good boats and I am currently looking for a Ventura for my son, but finding one that doesn't need every piece of structural timber replaced is proving problematic.

If your family boat is structurally sound, don't muck about - grab it, but get rid of that relic of an outboard and upgrade. The Maritime museum may be interested in taking it off your hands.

A good modern 2 stroke from the early 90's of 100hp or 115hp would be my tip and preferably a Merc.

Rated for 200? Wow, what a ride. The 20' Vagabond did 52mph with the 175!

I have a fully refurbished 2.5 200hp V6 Merc for sale if you're game. But I don't think even I would be that silly...

Thanks for the detail GiddyUp. Yeah, its in awesome condition - glad to hear you've got good things to say about it. I've shown a photo of its HP rating.
    Attachment 116834
    Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58;16
    The Ventura was my dream boat in the mid 70's.

I still recall the "Seacraft" article in about 1975 about the then newly released Seafarer Ventura
    The testers were gob-smacked that it could do 42mph (not knots) with a 100hp merc straight 6. And they were not prop rated back then!

I went shopping for one in 1977, but found a "Vagabond" with a 135 V4 Evinrude for the same money ($5,000 from memory).
    Blew up the V4 on 3rd outing and ended up with a slightly used 175 Black Max.

But my point is - Lindsay built bloody good boats and I am currently looking for a Ventura for my son, but finding one that doesn't need every piece of structural timber replaced is proving problematic.

If your family boat is structurally sound, don't muck about - grab it, but get rid of that relic of an outboard and upgrade. The Maritime museum may be interested in taking it off your hands.

A good modern 2 stroke from the early 90's of 100hp or 115hp would be my tip and preferably a Merc.

Rated for 200? Wow, what a ride. The 20' Vagabond did 52mph with the 175!

I have a fully refurbished 2.5 200hp V6 Merc for sale if you're game. But I don't think even I would be that silly...

Everyone, many thanks for your tips, advice to a newbie like myself.

I've ended up buying the boat from my uncle and I'm looking forward to the project ahead of me. Planning for a 2018/19 Summer on the water with it!

Hi Dyna...

We look forward to reading all about your future exploits with you new boat in this location ...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...light=seafarer

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................