Thread: Anyone with a fridge on a slide??

Anyone with a fridge on a slide??

G'day everyone. Keen to hear some feedback from any of you that have 12V car style fridge/freezer on a slide in a seat box or something similar.

Do car fridges take the constant pounding of a trailer boat
    Would a decent quality fridge slide take the punishment
    Do you need a third battery or does well set up (house and start) split circuit dual battery system with some solar on the roof cut it.
    Was it worth doing, useful etc
    Any other info good

Think I would be looking about 50L travel mate or something like that.

Scott

Re: Anyone with a fridge on a slide??

Hi Scott,
    I did an 80ltr Waeco setup.
    Couldn't find anything durable enough to support it so end up making up a stainless steel slide frame to mount the freezer on, set bearings up to suit on side plates and it works a treat.
    I run it on a 100amp hr house battery with 2 80watt solar panels and engage motor charging whilst running around.
    I can stay out for 4 days easily.
    Been going strong for 7yrs.
    Cheers Rob.P1010030.jpgP1010031.jpg

Ausfish Platinum Member

Interested in this for the new boat. I have a s/sframe for the drivers seat, intended to build a fibreglass esky with split lid --now thinking I may just as well build a fridge, I've done it before. Seat base only has 495mm wide internal clearance . I could build a fridge of probably 40 litres, with a lid that would open without having to slide out, with a seat on the lid.

Don’t have a fridge in my boat, so can’t really comment.

I do a fair bit of 4x4 trips out the bush and desert with my mates. We all carry Engel fridges and over time they have taken a bashing and all still going strong, so I’m sure they would take to a boat ok.

A couple of years ago I was in the market for a fridge slide and after some research I found most nearly all didn’t aim up as they stated.

I did find DUNN & WATSON (QLD), a very good slide. Although they have standard sizes, they can and will make it up to your required measurements.

Hope this helps a little

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

I would think they'd be all fine. 4wd pretty tough. Mojoes is that rust? All that brown stuff near fan? I thought they were plastic
    Thinking of going this way as well with plastic engel

Thanks everyone, Moejoes, that's the sort of setup I'm thinking, a bit smaller but same concept. Shakey, found the Dunn and Watson site last night, they seem like the gear I think.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Hi Scott,
    I did an 80ltr Waeco setup.
    Couldn't find anything durable enough to support it so end up making up a stainless steel slide frame to mount the freezer on, set bearings up to suit on side plates and it works a treat.
    I run it on a 100amp hr house battery with 2 80watt solar panels and engage motor charging whilst running around.
    I can stay out for 4 days easily.
    Been going strong for 7yrs.
    Cheers Rob.P1010030.jpgP1010031.jpg
    I can attest to the beer being cold, somehow we also take home frozen bait after a trip.

I've run 3 fridges in my boat for the last 2 years, 2x CFX50 waecos and a ARB 47L. I would not recommend the dunn and watson slides - I have had issues with all 3 of mine in my boat. I have now got billet aluminum slides from GSP promounts from the UK. There aircraft quality and non corrosive. I have also used minn kota water proof plugs in place of a cigarette lighter plug, it does not rattle loose at all.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    I would think they'd be all fine. 4wd pretty tough. Mojoes is that rust? All that brown stuff near fan? I thought they were plastic
    Thinking of going this way as well with plastic engel
    Yeah mate, 7 years in the boat will do that will salt mist
    It's the cover plate for the fans, they are not plastic. Just powdercaoted metal.
    Still works fine

Have done all kinds of fridges, confess most have been marine branded systems. though recently we have installed a fair few Dometic cd30 draw fridges. partially for cost and installation space.
    though we outfitted a few bar crushers last year with Techinice fridges also due to their cost mostly.

moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Yeah mate, 7 years in the boat will do that will salt mist
    It's the cover plate for the fans, they are not plastic. Just powdercaoted metal.
    Still works fine
    The rest of the boat looks brand new, shame the fridge couldn't keep up with appearances.