Thread: Washers/spacers for targa base

Bronze Member

Washers/spacers for targa base

The two mounting bolts for the stainless steel targa base have come loose on one side of my Cruisecraft Outsider. The washers or spacers to protect the gelcoat from the base of the targa appear to be some sort of softish white foam and they have been squeezed out to one side. Looking to replace them before I re-tighten the targa mounting bolts. The bases of the targa mounts don't fit neatly with the profile of the fibreglass ie when one side of the base is flush with the fibreglass the other side is sitting a little bit proud. No doubt this has caused the spacers to squeeze out on one side.

Does anybody have a suggestion as to what sort of material I should use for the spacers?

And should I try to mould or trim the thickness of the spacers to the profile of the fibreglass where the base sits?

Thanks in advance
    Twosheds

Re: Washers/spacers for targa base

If they are a really soft foam I couldn't imagine they were doing much more than simply filling the gap so it couldn't be seen. Personally I would probably bed the mount into some Sikaflex or Fixtech marine sealant - will have tha added advantage of keeping the water out and thus stopping rust staining.

try some Teflon it wont distort..same white stuff used on trailer skids and cutting boards...rick

You'll probably find it is a marine sealant, it's used as a gap filler.

Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll head out this morning to Bunnings, BCF, Super Cheap & Repco to try and find something suitable. Lucky they are all next to each other.

Regards
    Twosheds

Quote Originally Posted by Twosheds View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'll head out this morning to Bunnings, BCF, Super Cheap & Repco to try and find something suitable. Lucky they are all next to each other.

Regards
    Twosheds
    Whereabouts are you, I have some Sika that will replace the stuff you removed, probably have some nylon sheet about 3 -5 mm thick which is easy enough to make some washers from.

Bronze Member

Thanks Dignity. I'm in Soldiers Point in NSW. I do have some sika in the fridge (open 18 months and still good) but I didn't want to muck around with it, I tend to get it everywhere. I picked up some 50mm toilet cistern washers that I think are a soft rubber or neoprene. I will give them a try. It they don't work it will be back to the sika.

Regards
    Twosheds

That will work.