Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Outboard Rebuild

Re: Outboard Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    I have read many tales of poor customer service or at least poor reliability on this very forum over the years. Eg Suzuki 4 stroke corrosion, numerous ETec woes.
    Didn’t Suzuki leave the country years ago because their 2 stroke engines were dissolving like aspirin? Rather than make it right they just closed up shop, waited for memories to fade and came back with 4 strokes.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Didn’t Suzuki leave the country years ago because their 2 stroke engines were dissolving like aspirin? Rather than make it right they just closed up shop, waited for memories to fade and came back with 4 strokes.
    No, I don't think so, like lots of other makers, their attempt at market share just didn't work, Chrysler, Force and others had a go, but at the time OMC and Mercury owned the world outboard market, a few Japanese companies made it, Yamaha was probably the most successful, Suzuki currently has a good hold, and Honda has always been, well..."Honda" quality and very conservative, newcomers have a very hard time cracking world markets with any product, most start off with cheap items with pretty low quality and just kind of up the ante and make bigger and better stuff as they go, some, start out by making stuff for other brands, then make their own branded products, there is still lots of old Suzuki motors around in use.

a copy of a engine does not mean its the same thing ,there's metallurgy, component and engineering differences involved.
    you can get anything copied in china a $400 copy of a $600 product from another manufacturer Is not going to be the same thing

I wouldn't buy one I had a bad experience with a small capacity unit , I pulled the whole starter mechanism off a smaller engine trying to start it

with the Yamaha I recently purchased you get all their dealer network which is any major coastal town and city for parts and help
    as a component of total boat ownership the price difference is a insignificant cost and isn't worth the risk when its your only form of propulsion

but people especially men get butthurt when any purchase they make is critiqued

.as some one else said, do you understand how patents work? do you understand how manufactures source parts and what happens to old part jigs? the sub contracting co. paid for the jigs and will keep using them till no body wants the parts irrespective of new models and new jigs. so gazza, your reasoning is pretty short sighted.

As was stated, old motor, suspect repair prospects results in new motor search. You guys who know what your doing may be comfortable doing the job but i too have had rebuild experiences. I can vouch for the fact I got an extra 2yrs from a van rebuild. Then caput.
    so an outboard would be more sus to me. You just cant calculate when fatigue will set in on any component. As some one said, change the top bearing , you have to change the bottom. So you start with a naked block and head its gonna cost. A proper job is going to cost more than a couple of thousand i bet.