Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Rebuild

Re: Outboard Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    In all markets around the world in all different categories there is and will always be the innovators and the imitators.

Is it just me or has this thread taken on a weird angle in regards to the thread title.

How are things coming along in regards to the thread title billfisher ?.
    Not really a weird turn. It's not worth rebuilding (as I already mentioned) so I am looking for a new (or new to me) motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Can't say I have ever heard of anyone left in a lurch on a legitimate warranty claim, can you provide a link to such an event?
    I have read many tales of poor customer service or at least poor reliability on this very forum over the years. Eg Suzuki 4 stroke corrosion, numerous ETec woes.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    You have no idea what the profit margin is on the Parsun. As I said I was quoted 10K for a Tohatsu carby 90hp which does seem over the top for an old technology motor. The Parsun 90 was being advertised at 6.5K - the difference is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't really care if they copied Japanese motors. In any case carby 2 stokes are not exactly cutting edge and any patents would have expired long ago. This sort of thing happens all the time. I am not sure what you have a bee in your bonnet about - are you trying to justify paying an over the top price for your outboard?
    You may support modern day piracy to save a buck but when your unable to source parts from Parsun we well see u back here complaining about it because u were cheap and or it failed once or multipal times... that is usually the case

What i'm about is someone putting every hard earnt dollar into funding there business than building it up both financially and and as a reputably business, lets say you invented the pen and someone came along 30 years later and took over all your hard work all your R & D and hundreds if not millions of dollars you invested out of your pocket for someone to start cheaply using your designs

than they flogged your market in your own country for just a fraction less than u were selling your pens for would u be pissed?

there is being cheap but than there is funding the pirates too... i wish you all the best of luck in finding a second hand motor.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    You may support modern day piracy to save a buck but when your unable to source parts from Parsun we well see u back here complaining about it because u were cheap and or it failed once or multipal times... that is usually the case

What i'm about is someone putting every hard earnt dollar into funding there business than building it up both financially and and as a reputably business, lets say you invented the pen and someone came along 30 years later and took over all your hard work all your R & D and hundreds if not millions of dollars you invested out of your pocket for someone to start cheaply using your designs

than they flogged your market in your own country for just a fraction less than u were selling your pens for would u be pissed?

there is being cheap but than there is funding the pirates too... i wish you all the best of luck in finding a second hand motor.
    Why do you think it will be harder to get parts for a Parsun than any other 2 stroke motor? And even if a product is protected by a patent they usually expire after 30 years to allow competition (and that it's a bit ridiculous after all that time).

I just bought an impellor housing from parsun to fit my 90 yammy..lo an behold when installing it I compared to original yammy part and has same serial numbers a nd moulding defects on plastic casing...identical...it was half the price for same product...rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickmarlin62 View Post
    I just bought an impellor housing from parsun to fit my 90 yammy..lo an behold when installing it I compared to original yammy part and has same serial numbers a nd moulding defects on plastic casing...identical...it was half the price for same product...rick

Yes I was going to mention that to gazza2006. In the unlikely event that Parsun parts dry up you could just substitute with Yamaha parts!

About 3 years ago gazza2006 had an argument with Garry who was the owner of Parsun Australia because he bought a cheap blown up chinese engine, a Maxxis 4 stroke.
    When he couldn't find parts for it, he tried to get Parsun parts cheaply to fix up this engine and resell it for a profit.
    From what I can remember, Parsun went above and beyond to help this guy out but in the end, they could not find him an old second hand Parsun outboard to source the parts from so gazza then went on an all out attack against Parsun Outboards and also against the owner himself.
    Even well after this episode, gazza was recommending on here that people could save a lot of money buying a Parsun from BCF when they went on special back in 2016.
    There is a huge amount of very satisfied Parsun customers right around the world so I would not be listening to someone who has a very personal gripe against the brand, especially when his gripe began from a different branded engine.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au
    Seems this time of the year Boating Camping and Fishing reduces prices on Chinese outboards, i would go as far to say they may be worthy of buying before Xmass at these prices

resale value wont go much below this in 2-3 years

Parsun 15hp $1250
    next model in price bracket is
    Tohatsu 18hp $2100

just only if Parsun was this cheap everyday of the week they would see sales sky rocket, their would be a huge market of second hand motors and parts...

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    About 3 years ago gazza2006 had an argument with Garry who was the owner of Parsun Australia because he bought a cheap blown up chinese engine, a Maxxis 4 stroke.
    When he couldn't find parts for it, he tried to get Parsun parts cheaply to fix up this engine and resell it for a profit.
    From what I can remember, Parsun went above and beyond to help this guy out but in the end, they could not find him an old second hand Parsun outboard to source the parts from so gazza then went on an all out attack against Parsun Outboards and also against the owner himself.
    Even well after this episode, gazza was recommending on here that people could save a lot of money buying a Parsun from BCF when they went on special back in 2016.
    There is a huge amount of very satisfied Parsun customers right around the world so I would not be listening to someone who has a very personal gripe against the brand, especially when his gripe began from a different branded engine.
    Gary its turned south when u started making it personal about me than u had me banned for saying Parsun is rubbish i still stand by that quote, that motor i had was a 4hp Tohatsu 4 Stroke which your Parsun motor was a knock off of the Tohatsu an exact copy

I reckon Parsun will be gone as quick as they hit the market when the new no 2 stroke law comes into place, any manufacturer that has there own R&D will surface because they invested there own hard earnt dollars into there own designs, there own R&D and built there own reputation

you rip off someones design you'll end up getting ripped off i believe in karma

I find it extraordinary you got banned or the impression you did so for saying Parsun are rubbish.

Like i said before this is one strange thread that seemed to turn into an advertisement very early on.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I find it extraordinary you got banned or the impression you did so for saying Parsun are rubbish.

Like i said before this is one strange thread that seemed to turn into an advertisement very early on.
    An advertisement for who? I already explained a rebuild has now turned into looking for a new motor - what's 'weird' about that (or discussing the merits of potential new motors)? Do you have anything useful to add?

Good luck in your pursuits for a new donk. Why so sensitive ?

Good luck in your pursuits for a new donk. Why so sensitive ?
    Well it's just a bit tiresome to make jibes from the sidelines (and the same jibe to boot), rather than add anything useful.

I tried in a earlier thread to be of assistance along with many others i might add. We tried our best with very little detail inc brand and HP.

But as you say anything further would be just plain useless eh !. I will take my leave now.

I tried in a earlier thread to be of assistance along with many others i might add. We tried our best with very little detail inc brand and HP.

But as you say anything further would be just plain useless eh !. I will take my leave now.
    I took on board all the comments by the way (well at least the sensible ones). I said at the outset it was carby 2 stroke, the principles are the same no matter what brand or hp I would have thought? I did talk about 90 hp replacements which should be enough of a clue including a new Tohatsu replacement which is what it is.

Some of the Parsun range are copies of a 30+ year old Yamaha and they sell for $300-$400 less than Yamaha who is taking the piss here? Parsun is charging what they see fit not what its actually costing to thieve someones design and mass produce it for a tiny fraction of those who own the designs

i recall speaking with the importer of Parsun and i think he documented it here on AusFish as he is a member, i was said he thought the price he was charging suited it and our market, Yes that would be right if he invested millions of dollars in his own R&D not copied someone elses design

i bet Mr Parsun will have me banned again for talking about his Parsun motors... its an outright rip off

if Parsun had there heart set on selling the motors why not pay the Japanese manufacturers for using there design I'm sure they would be acceptable in this case as they share the Japanese designs a mung each other over there
    Do you have any understanding of how Patents work?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.