Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Rebuild

Re: Outboard Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    i'd rather buy a good second hand Japanese/Merc motor than a new Parsun !
    Well there are no Parsun 90's for sale anymore so the decision is taken out of my hands. I am thinking of getting a Suzuki 90. The weight of 4 strokes can be an issue with old boats like mine but they come at a not too hefty 155 kg and I could sell my auxiliary which will save 40kg. A new 4 stroke should be reliable and communications like EPIRB 2 way radio should get me out of trouble in the unlikely even of a breakdown.

i'd rather buy a good second hand Japanese/Merc motor than a new Parsun !
    People used to say that about Japanese motors years ago compared to those made in the US, even when they were just as advanced
    and reliable. And remember rival dealers hate them because they show how overpriced their offerings are.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    People used to say that about Japanese motors years ago compared to those made in the US, even when they were just as advance and reliable. And remember rival dealers hate them because they show how overpriced their offerings are.
    not sure exactly how long they have been here in Australia, but they have been around for over 15 years. to me that's quite a long time to gain public acceptance !

not sure exactly how long they have been here in Australia, but they have been around for over 15 years. to me that's quite a long time to gain public acceptance !
    Are you saying they are not accepted? I heard their sales are very good.

people buy them because there cheaper, not because there just as good as the other mainstream brands!

people buy them because there cheaper, not because there just as good as the other mainstream brands!
    Yep . The old Good, better and Best.

I think it would be fair to say they come in at good and those who purchase them need to be mindful of there price point and as such what sort of serviceable life they will provide to the buyer. Its all relevant.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Yes but you are implying they are not as good, Sure they are not as advanced eg you don't get auto oil mixing on the larger models. But I haven't seen any hard evidence they are unreliable or lower in quality.

Gain public acceptance of a rip off from the Japanese manufacturers that put in millions of dollars in designing them, all parsun has done is change a few minor plastic covers and pull starters parsun dealers even claim the parts are interchangeable it's an outright rort

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Gain public acceptance of a rip off from the Japanese manufacturers that put in millions of dollars in designing them, all parsun has done is change a few minor plastic covers and pull starters parsun dealers even claim the parts are interchangeable it's an outright rort
    Perhaps the rort is what we pay for outboards here. And some of the big brands have left owners in the lurch when problems have arisen. Also never mind the Japanese copied US makes when they were starting out.

Can't say I have ever heard of anyone left in a lurch on a legitimate warranty claim, can you provide a link to such an event?

I might add, most Japanese outboards were motor bike technology adapted to marine use, and what the Japanese don't know about motor bikes is probably not worth knowing.

In all markets around the world in all different categories there is and will always be the innovators and the imitators.

Is it just me or has this thread taken on a weird angle in regards to the thread title.

How are things coming along in regards to the thread title billfisher ?.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I might add, most Japanese outboards were motor bike technology adapted to marine use, and what the Japanese don't know about motor bikes is probably not worth knowing.
    Being an owner of early Japanese bikes, I'll add that the quality was pretty how's father in those early years - sort of what we expect from Chinese stuff now. They certainly sorted that...so did the Koreans in the past 20 years car wise, so why not the Chinese? They make rockets - ICBMs since the 50's....pretty sure they'd work. Hope we never find out. If they put their mind to it their stuff could be amongst the best given their might. As for now I'd probably go Japanese (which is probably Thailand) just for the peace of mind and the pose value from the name on the cowl.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Some of the Parsun range are copies of a 30+ year old Yamaha and they sell for $300-$400 less than Yamaha who is taking the piss here? Parsun is charging what they see fit not what its actually costing to thieve someones design and mass produce it for a tiny fraction of those who own the designs

i recall speaking with the importer of Parsun and i think he documented it here on AusFish as he is a member, i was said he thought the price he was charging suited it and our market, Yes that would be right if he invested millions of dollars in his own R&D not copied someone elses design

i bet Mr Parsun will have me banned again for talking about his Parsun motors... its an outright rip off

if Parsun had there heart set on selling the motors why not pay the Japanese manufacturers for using there design I'm sure they would be acceptable in this case as they share the Japanese designs a mung each other over there

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Some of the Parsun range are copies of a 30+ year old Yamaha and they sell for $300-$400 less than Yamaha who is taking the piss here? Parsun is charging what they see fit not what its actually costing to thieve someones design and mass produce it for a tiny fraction of those who own the designs

i recall speaking with the importer of Parsun and i think he documented it here on AusFish as he is a member, i was said he thought the price he was charging suited it and our market, Yes that would be right if he invested millions of dollars in his own R&D not copied someone elses design

i bet Mr Parsun will have me banned again for talking about his Parsun motors... its an outright rip off

if Parsun had there heart set on selling the motors why not pay the Japanese manufacturers for using there design I'm sure they would be acceptable in this case as they share the Japanese designs a mung each other over there
    You have no idea what the profit margin is on the Parsun. As I said I was quoted 10K for a Tohatsu carby 90hp which does seem over the top for an old technology motor. The Parsun 90 was being advertised at 6.5K - the difference is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't really care if they copied Japanese motors. In any case carby 2 stokes are not exactly cutting edge and any patents would have expired long ago. This sort of thing happens all the time. I am not sure what you have a bee in your bonnet about - are you trying to justify paying an over the top price for your outboard?