Thread: 40hp mariner gas assist

40hp mariner gas assist

I currently have a 1999 mod 40hp mariner and the gas assist isn't working and which make it a pain in the butt to take the kids fishing , and crabbing so i would like to do something to fix this after doing some research buy the looks their a non serviceable unit it, has anyone came across this before? is their a solution to it with out costing the earth

Re: 40hp mariner gas assist

Have u tried pricing a new part on line? There an outboard online part distributor in the us (I forget the name). That sells pretty cheap. I know Merc parts can't be shipped to Aus from them so you could just use a freight forwarder. It you could take to a strut regas guy and get the seals replaced and regassed maybe

The chrome sharft is pitted so re-gassing is a no go and a new one is about $1000 US I guess I’ll have to find someone wrecking one

Yikes!
    You could try nqoutboard wreckers in Townsville. Pretty big wrecker and can mail.

There seems to be one on ebay
    Mercury-Mariner-40-50-HP-Tilt-Assist-Unit-19300A-7-0177-/282611382787

At that sort of money I would be looking for a second hand power trim and tilt to suit.

Theirs no cheap way out I’ll just have to lump it

I found out the hard way with an OMC one. It jambed so I pulled a bung thinking I would just get it sorted. $550 later I had a new shiny one LOL - it was 20 odd years ago. Have a look on gumtree and Ebay. Regularly see second hand PTT units around the $500 mark. Just need to add a relay assembly and switch if they don't come with them.

Yeah I wanted to convert my Tohatsu 50 but there were too many parts different. I ended up changing motors.