Classifieds

40hp mariner gas assist

I currently have a 1999 mod 40hp mariner and the gas assist isn't working and which make it a pain in the butt to take the kids fishing , and crabbing so i would like to do something to fix this after doing some research buy the looks their a non serviceable unit it, has anyone came across this before? is their a solution to it with out costing the earth

Re: 40hp mariner gas assist

Have u tried pricing a new part on line? There an outboard online part distributor in the us (I forget the name). That sells pretty cheap. I know Merc parts can't be shipped to Aus from them so you could just use a freight forwarder. It you could take to a strut regas guy and get the seals replaced and regassed maybe

The chrome sharft is pitted so re-gassing is a no go and a new one is about $1000 US I guess Iíll have to find someone wrecking one

Yikes!
    You could try nqoutboard wreckers in Townsville. Pretty big wrecker and can mail.

There seems to be one on ebay
    Mercury-Mariner-40-50-HP-Tilt-Assist-Unit-19300A-7-0177-/282611382787

At that sort of money I would be looking for a second hand power trim and tilt to suit.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

Theirs no cheap way out Iíll just have to lump it

I found out the hard way with an OMC one. It jambed so I pulled a bung thinking I would just get it sorted. $550 later I had a new shiny one LOL - it was 20 odd years ago. Have a look on gumtree and Ebay. Regularly see second hand PTT units around the $500 mark. Just need to add a relay assembly and switch if they don't come with them.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

Yeah I wanted to convert my Tohatsu 50 but there were too many parts different. I ended up changing motors.