Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bilge pump size for 4.3 mtr tinnie

Post Bilge pump size for 4.3 mtr tinnie

Morning All,

After some advise and logic to installing a new bilge pump. I have a 4.3 mtr Stacer Proline tinnie, brand new and what to install a new bilge pump, I am just unsure what capacity I should install. Any advice is appreciated please.

Thanks
    Bubs
    Bubs Fish till ya drop......Clark 4.49 Rebel SC 60hp Merc Lowrance HDS Carbon 9in & FS 7in

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Bilge pump size for 4.3 mtr tinnie

it really is all about how fast you want to shift the water when you get it in. If it's just to get rid of wash-down/spillage and you are comfortable with it not being quick, a 3/4" 500gph Rule is probably plenty. If you are in regular circumstances where you may be pushing the bow through a wave and taking some over the front, I'd be going for at least 2000gph. These will have a 1 1/8" outlet. Do you want auto or manual? Rule do a nice compact 1100gpph auto self-contained unit--normal retail around $195, but easily available online for under $170. The little 500gph Rules should be well under $50. In the bigger sizes, the quality stuff like Rules gets very expensive, but the cheap brands are just that, cheap. And can give years of service.

hey slickas, i have a 4.3 tinnie with a 500 gph in it, because i have a floor it was the one that can be wired for a float switch, anyway not long after owning the boat, i took it to the ramp for a test run, i had left the bungs in and as i was driving down the road i could see rain water shooting out the side of the stern onto oncoming traffic, a good metre of stream out from a 20 mm hose, never saw this in action before so was happy to see a high volume of rain water leaving the tinnie fast. good luck

800 gal / hr would be my minimum ( Johnston or Rule) The bigger the better IMO
    A 1000-1100 gal/hr will set you back between $60&$70 -- so it's not a lot of coin in the greater scheme of things

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I ran a 500gph for a lot of years - no way in hell it would ever keep up in a real emergency situation. With 2 x 1 inch bungs knowingly left out my 4.5 would fill to floor level in about 45 seconds. The pump would take a couple of minutes to get rid of it. I'd be thinking the Rule 1100 as a good compromise between cost and capability as well. A float switch (with a manual over ride) is also a good idea.

As a side note - not a big fan of the Rule pumps that incorporate the "float switch". Personally I prefer the two to be separate - cheaper initially and if ever anything fails you only have to replace what is faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I ran a 500gph for a lot of years - no way in hell it would ever keep up in a real emergency situation. With 2 x 1 inch bungs knowingly left out my 4.5 would fill to floor level in about 45 seconds. The pump would take a couple of minutes to get rid of it. I'd be thinking the Rule 1100 as a good compromise between cost and capability as well. A float switch (with a manual over ride) is also a good idea.
    I had a hose on the through hull live well pump pop off on my Hornet once (what a nightmare)..... The 800 gal pump just kept ahead of it till I fashioned a plug and stuck it in the inlet .

* A 500 gal pump is what is used for live wells - I think that pretty well sums up the usefulness as a bilge pump .
    A float switch is a good idea & I'll go that way when I do my upgrade in the coming weeks .......unfortunately access is a pain in my boat otherwise I'd go the set up that I had in my first boat - An 1100 gal on a float switch & an 1100 on a separate circuit . Great peace of mind when doing bar crossings

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Did your new boat come with a floor fitted or is it a standard "open boat" (ie you stand on the bottom sheets)? If it came with a floor fitted, print a copy of this take it to the place you bought it and insist they supply and install a 4000L/h (which normally ends up being the 1100gal/h pump people are referring to above). If its an open boat, then legally all it needs is a bucket and a motivated crew so you'll have to pay for it yourself but as everyone says anything less than the 1100gal/h isn't worth having.

Yeah I always put in the biggest 12v one. If you have ever copped a bit of a wave over the back or sunk a tinny you will appreciate how much of a safety thing it can be. Also good when you are washing down/ using a bucket, diving etc. Have a look at the Johnson 1600 gph or 2000gph. Tinned copper power, professional quality but not as expensive as the rhules.
    Surebail is the best float switch imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker View Post
    Did your new boat come with a floor fitted or is it a standard "open boat" (ie you stand on the bottom sheets)? If it came with a floor fitted, print a copy of this take it to the place you bought it and insist they supply and install a 4000L/h (which normally ends up being the 1100gal/h pump people are referring to above). If its an open boat, then legally all it needs is a bucket and a motivated crew so you'll have to pay for it yourself but as everyone says anything less than the 1100gal/h isn't worth having.
    Chris, I doubt the Proline has water tight compartments under the flooring, all the drainage will be between the ribs and the boat bottom so the Aust Standard won't apply in this case for a 4kL/hr pump. (Page 46 for those who don't want to read the whole doc). Still a good iea to install a pump though as a 4kL is still only pumping around 1 litre per second and water can flow in much faster than that.

the floor doesn't need to be water tight to require a bilge pump. In fact a truly water tight floor eliminates the need for one as far as the rules are concerned. The bilge is required if you cant easily access the bottom of the boat (bilge) with a bucket to bail.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I had a hose on the through hull live well pump pop off on my Hornet once (what a nightmare)..... The 800 gal pump just kept ahead of it till I fashioned a plug and stuck it in the inlet .

* A 500 gal pump is what is used for live wells - I think that pretty well sums up the usefulness as a bilge pump .
    A float switch is a good idea & I'll go that way when I do my upgrade in the coming weeks .......unfortunately access is a pain in my boat otherwise I'd go the set up that I had in my first boat - An 1100 gal on a float switch & an 1100 on a separate circuit . Great peace of mind when doing bar crossings

Chris
    The first thing behind any through hull fitting should be a ball valve Chris for exactly this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker View Post
    the floor doesn't need to be water tight to require a bilge pump. In fact a truly water tight floor eliminates the need for one as far as the rules are concerned. The bilge is required if you cant easily access the bottom of the boat (bilge) with a bucket to bail.
    Although most buckets won't fit the space behind the rear thwart seat will have a space just wide enough for a bailer to be used,boat manufacturers manage to exploit all the rules.

Everything depends on the room to fit a bilge pump.
    My tub only has 115mm from the hull to the floor so I make do with a 500gph bilge pump.
    It has never really been a issue for me, takes about 5 minutes to drain the hull when the water comes above the floor.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Although most buckets won't fit the space behind the rear thwart seat will have a space just wide enough for a bailer to be used,boat manufacturers manage to exploit all the rules.
    Its not a matter of using loop holes, a lot of boat builders just ignore the rules outright. However in this case the boat was almost certainly given to the dealer bare to fit out. So all that responsibility is on them not the builder.