Thread: Suzuki 225 Max Revs

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Suzuki 225 Max Revs

Hi

I have a 225 Suzuki on my new 7.1 plate boat and was wondering what the ideal max revs I should be getting out of the motor? I am getting 5700 at the moment but thought it should be up around the 6-6500. Also I was hoping to get a bit more lift in the bow than what I am getting and was wondering weather a four bladed prop would help any? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Danstu

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Suzuki 225 Max Revs

For the current 225, Suzuki quote 5000-6000 rpm. If you are getting 5700 fully fuelled with a normal carry of fishing gear and personnel, you are going OK. If you are very light ship, there may be some room for improvement.

Ausfish Bronze Member

Normally, a 4 blade prop will give you more stern lift. Do you have any form of trim tabs fitted.

Before you mess with props, make sure the emgine height is correct. Lots of engines are set too low. Low engine loses revs and trim response. May be your problem.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Yeah I have Volvo Penta tabs which I hate compared to the Bennets I had on the old boat. Really didn't want these but the builder wasn't keen on making the others work. Tabs wont give you any bow lift though.

at 5700RPM, your in a kind of no mans land. The next available size prop up is going to go up or down too much. Ranmar850 is on the money. Your in the zone of diminishing returns.