Thread: Has anyone converted one of these Johnson's from tiller to forward steer?

Has anyone converted one of these Johnson's from tiller to forward steer?

Has anyone converted one of these Johnson's from tiller to forward steer?

Re: Has anyone converted one of these Johnson's from tiller to forward steer?

Not converted one but had one of each. Should be a relatively straight forward conversion apart from the gas assist trim and tilt if that is what is fitted. If you want to upgrade to a full electric T&T it might get pricey.

cant speak about that model outboard, but i had a merc converted, cost around $ 3k . think the control box is the most pricey part if i remember.thats full install, cables,control box . labour is a big one $$.

Thanks guys I wasn't to sure how to attatch my push pull cable to the non tilt tube outboard

That's a strange model without a "normal" tilt tube! but, there is a way around it, there is a bracket that bolts to the transom (or somewhere convenient) that clamps the outer cable, allowing the inner to be attached to the motor, haven't seen one for ages now, but you should be able to find one.

Just trying to see properly, looks like the transom brackets have been changed because they are black, has someone messed around with the mounting somehow?

This is the tube you need, that mounts parallel to your pivot bolt. you just manufacture a bracket to mount the tube to the hull!

You can buy the complete bracket and tube, there is/was a few different models made.

I'm a bit ummin and arrin about picking up the motor as my boat is SS this motor is LS but that is easily fixed i like it is electric start but i wonder if the throttle and gear cables will fit?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I'm a bit ummin and arrin about picking up the motor as my boat is SS this motor is LS but that is easily fixed i like it is electric start but i wonder if the throttle and gear cables will fit?
    didn't you pick up a L/S 45hp honda with the same S/S issue for this boat a while back?

Yeah me and my mates came to the conclusion the honda would have been to heavy for my transom, this Johnson is only a 2 cylinder 2 carby 40hp detuned 45hp so the weight over a vintage 35hp that my boat is rated to would be minimal the honda was a 3 cylinder