Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plate boat research frustration

Re: Plate boat research frustration

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    I really don't know why everyone is obsessed with big plateys.
    I haven't considered ride quality, price, looks or resale value when deciding on plate alloy. My initial interest in plate alloy came from living most of life in FNQ where I would drive it up onto a beach, drag it across a rock bar at low tide, bump into a coral bomby occasionally while maneuvering in shallow water & spend low tide stranded high & dry while camping out waiting for tomorrow. I have no experience with glass, but I am very confident that I don't want to be sanding down & repairing gel coat where it has been torn to pieces with this activity. In recent years I have maintained my focus on plate for exactly the reasons you quoted, I can cut/shut/weld/paint/recut/reweld & repaint a plate boat myself in the shed to my hearts content. I am not interested in working with fiberglass etc., so I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliduck View Post
    I figured that no-one is going to pay as much attention to detail on my boat as I will, so I'm hoping for a superior result as well.
    Or you could just buy it, he is in the stages of selling it, if my missus would let me I'd be doing it myself.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, that is the one and only advantage. The use wasn't specified, so I was assuming it was more generalised fishing. I certainly would have one if i had to do that. You certainly become more cautious around obstacles at low speed with 'glass.
    But there are plenty out there that will never give it that kind of use, and they still seem obsessed with big plate boats as the ultimate fishing platform. There wouldn't be a plate boat under 7 metres that could anywhere near what an equivilant glass boat could offer for ride. Over that, you can start to get some good shape into a hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Or you could just buy it
    Defeats the purpose a bit, I have been told by some very wise people that you shouldn't build a boat so that you have a boat, you should build a boat because you want to build a boat. I'm looking forward to the building part just as much as the boating part.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliduck View Post
    Defeats the purpose a bit, I have been told by some very wise people that you shouldn't build a boat so that you have a boat, you should build a boat because you want to build a boat. I'm looking forward to the building part just as much as the boating part.
    You've been watching too much NCIS, don't build it in the basement. Good luck on your endeavours.

Yes I agree with everything said about plate above and have never been overly impressed or excited by them and now I own one! I think one advantage not stated is you can get more boat if you are approaching legal max for trailering. Glass tops out legal weight probably 1.5 Meters earlier