Thread: LSD or locker in a 2wd Japanese ute

LSD or locker in a 2wd Japanese ute

Wondering if anyone has fitted one in one of the 4 cyl working models. The 6's seem to come standard but are generally $2k or so more. Is it cost effective and is it a driveway job? Never worked on diffs.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Re: LSD or locker in a 2wd Japanese ute

Not a difficult job really, but working upside down is never fun, are you planning on swapping just the centre, or the entire rear end?

curious as to why not spend the money on a 4x4

No idea Noelm - was really just musing as am looking at getting a Jap ute. The 4 cylinder versions seem to have plain diffs but the 6's and diesels generally have LSDs. The 4's are cheaper obviously. ...
    I've had experience of 4's getting stuck in places that you'd think were fine. Ex neighbor had to get pulled up a 15 degree shale slope by a Subaru Brumby...laughed alot...
    Why not a 4wd? Well my personal opinion is most people dont need them and they are 30% dearer, weigh 150kg more and cost more to service/maintain. Plus I really wont use it. I remember going out with friends as a young fella in a 20ft fibreglass inboard rig towed by an F250 with an LSD. Slippery ramps no issues. Also remember using holden utes on Facing Island with LSDs and 6psi tyres.
    Anyway, looking at a diesel now with LSD as standard, so I guess I'll see if I am right in my thinking.

I believe Isuzu dropped the lsd because of the inclusion of traction and stability control in all models.If you are looking at a ute with these features you may not be able to fit an lsd after market.

Thanks Banshee, probably the case for newer models but the one I bought is a pov pack 08 RC Colorado 2wd cab chassis. More on this (if anyone interested ), it was advertised as having an LSD but carsales just gets that from the net. According to the owners manual and the 08 brochure, mine did not. Can't find an option code on the plate designating LSD either. Bummer.
    However, the test drive was in the wet and it certainly drifted like an LSD - so I thought no more of it until I took delivery - then read the manual. Since then I have done the usual tests with wheels turning same way when off the ground and have more than 35nm breakaway with one wheel down. Sought a second opinion from a mechanic who reckons it is definitely not an open diff. So looks like I am ok...original or subsequent owners must have fitted one ex factory. So...yay!
    Lucky, since further reading indicates an Eaton e-locker is not much more than a new LSD. Still $2k ish though.