Thread: Brisbane river Threadies and PB Grunter

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Thumbs up Brisbane river Threadies and PB Grunter

Hadn’t been down for a proper fish to the river for a while and I had some free time after Australia day festivities and headed out later that night.
    Heaps of prawns around, couldn’t not catch one in the net. But on one throw I did manage a 52cm flatty along with a nice mullet, had the net jumping around a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bait.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	116703

After getting plenty of bait I started looking for fish, wasn’t too much activity but found a couple fish hanging around an area. After I dropped the anchor and baits down it was probably only half an hour before one of the lines took off. After a short fight, I had a nice salmon in the boat, quick photo and it was released no problem.

Name:	Salmon 1.jpg 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	116705

Stopped seeing fish on the sounder and no more action so I decided to have another look around. Sounded around for a good hour and a half and couldn’t find a fish, went back to where I got the salmon and found one arch, figured they might be hanging around this area or at least coming through so re anchored over the same spot. Had the live herring take off, whilst fighting this fish one of the other lines also took off, had a double hook up.

Managed to get the first fish in, second fish still on so played that and landed that one. The third line I had in was hit during the double hook up but didn’t stick (luckily). Both salmon were just under the meter mark, but nice fish. The first fish couldn’t be revived but the second was still full of beans and released well.

About 45 minutes later I had another hook up and landed another salmon just over 90cm. Had another 4 hits/runs over the next hour and a half with no hook ups.

Name:	Salmon 2 & 3.jpg 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	116706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 4.jpg 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	116707

Moved spots again, hoping to get a snapper during first light. Didn’t get a snap but got my new pb grunter at 65cm, was sure it was going to be a Jew before it surfaced, but still very happy with the grunter. Took the grunter and one salmon home for a feed.

Interestingly enough, I didn’t even get a bite on a prawn, with so many around I was expecting them to be the best bait.

Name:	Grunter.jpg 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	116704

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

Re: Brisbane river Threadies and PB Grunter

Good write up mate.
    I’m yet to revisit the river after getting stuck into blue water again of late but reading your reports motivates me slightly.

Ausfish Silver Member

Mate,

Thank you for sharing. Great report- number one reports . I have chased a few threadies shore based up Breaky Creek way. Have not been for awhile last heard there had been some complaints resulting in Council Officers issuing warnings/ cautions and fines for fishing of any of the structures in that area for the land based fisho. I like to think that most fisho s try to do the right thing but like most things it only takes a few to make it harder for the majority.

Need to get the boat out more.

Reference the release of threadies- how do you go? Do you use one of those lip weights on a hand reel or something ? Heard they are little bit sensitive on the release side of things? Just looking how I can best do that.

Thanks Marchy, I'm much the same at the moment. Can't wait for the mackeral to start showing up off the goldy.

Thanks Pegasus, it only takes a few to spoil it for the rest. There have been a few grubs down at the port ramp lately, cast netting off the walkway and leaving a mess.
    I vent them for release and they can definetly be hard to release. If I can get them to the boat quick and spend very little time out of the water they tend to be ok but there are times ill spend half an hour swimming them before I am happy they are ok. I actually lost my venting needle on the last trip so I was planning on making up a release weight and try that out.

Great work mate,

I've been watching a few fishing shows re: tagging of different species for research on movement patterns and sustainability etc.

I understand that these fish are difficult to catch and release, I am no expert and have never caught a Threadie but have you ever considered tagging?

Judging by you sweet reports you certainly know how to catch them, it would be so good to hear the evidence around recapture rates, size etc from those released.

Great read and an absolute cracking grunter... my PB is 35cm and I was stoked with that. can't imagine the muscle on a big model like that.

Cheers

Bermo

Hi Bermo, I did look into it a couple of times but the cost has stopped me from doing it. $85.00 for the tagging gun kit and then $75.00 to become a member, so your looking at $160.00 just to get started. Eventually I probably will join, but not at the moment.
    Since I have been fishing the river I have caught 5 tagged fish (one didn't have any info recorded with the original tag). For any one who is interested, the info from the recaptures is below.

Threadfin Salmon
    Days Out - 504
    Total Length - 1051 Growth - 151
    Fork Length - 873 Growth - 123
    Movement - 5km down river

Threadfin Salmon
    Days Out - 283
    Total Length - 850 Growth - 140
    Fork Length - 700 Growth - 120
    Movement - 25km down river

Jewfish
    Days Out - 652