Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charging batteries on the run to the ramp

Charging batteries on the run to the ramp

When I pick up boat from storage its about an hours run to the ramp...always concerned that the boat batteries might be low in charge during the break....was thinking ...I have a power winch on the trailer with appropriate wiring back to car battery......is there any reason why I cant run a set of wires from the powerwinch coupling to the boat engine battery and top up the battery on the way to the ramp?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Charging batteries on the run to the ramp

No reason at all. But why can't you just check by turning on your ignition and looking at the voltage. Anything from 12.0 V up will be fine, unless the battery is shot and has no cranking reserve. Or you have a cranky old two stroke that takes a lot of starting after a break

Easy to do if you have and Anderson plug at the back of the car, or is your winch cable wired all the way which would unusual although I have seen it otherwise. I would include regulator in the additional circuit though if your wiring is Direct to the battery, easy enough to do.

I have anderson plug at rear of my patrol, straight off second battery (there is a fuse near battery).

I have made up a long cable with anderson plugs both ends. Plug one into rear of vehicle and the other to an anderson plug I have permanently attached to boat battery.

Gets about 45min charge on way to ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Easier to charge whilst boat is parked up beside your house either via battery charger or solar panel otherwise if your fair dinkum about charging on the go then ide suggest a 12v to 12v charger sety up beside your batteries in the boat then anderson p[lug back of your vehicle to anderson plug leading to your 12v to 12v charger .
    Enough lead to reach it and make sure your lead is secure and the charger is as close up to your batteries as possible.
    If you have a hardtop on your boat then best bet is a solar panel up top to a regulator to the battery.

Note - as above. if you you have a newer car with a SMART alternator, you may struggle to get a decent charge, unless you fit a dc/dc charger!

The way I see it, if you have to tool around charging your battery on the way to the ramp, your battery is stuffed, or you haven't used the boat enough and should have had a charger connected long before heading to the ramp.

Maybe it’s difficult to have battery on charge when it’s “in storage” ?
    Another idea instead of the dc/dc charger is a boost diode, they’re only about $30-40.
    Suits the new style alternators.
    Simple to install.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Grab a booster diode, I get them from Leigh at HKB Electronics, no affiliation just good service. Secured cable to your boat battery from anderson at the rear of the car and put a fused anderson in at your boat battery as well. For the cable recommend 6B&S or larger to minimize voltage drop. No need for a BCDC charger. Will cost you probably $100.

Please explain the function of this booster diode, never heard of a "booster" diode.

HKB Electronics

Welcome to HKB Electronics the home of the Alternator Voltage Booster.
    The Alternator Voltage Booster was the first of its type on the market and is the only unit available that was has been purpose built for alternator voltage boosting.
    The alternator voltage booster is an essential item when installing a dual battery system in modern vehicle that has a low output voltage alternator. The alternator voltage booster is the simplest and cheapest way to obtain a suitable charge voltage for the main and dual battery, it will increase the alternator output voltage by approximately .5V - .6V giving a much improved charge voltage for your batteries and greatly reducing the time it takes to recharge them. Why buy an expensive DC/DC charger when the Alternator Voltage Booster will do the job better at a fraction of the cost?
    The Alternator Voltage Booster is also ideal for the following applications:
    * When a conventional lead acid battery is being replaced by a calcium hybrid type.
    * High performance engine improvements.
    * Maximising the output power on high power car audio equipment.
    If you would like to purchase an Alternator Voltage Booster please click on your car manufactures link below. For further information please refer to the FAQ area or contact our help line.

HKB Electronics

Welcome to HKB Electronics the home of the Alternator Voltage Booster.
    The Alternator Voltage Booster was the first of its type on the market and is the only unit available that was has been purpose built for alternator voltage boosting.
    The alternator voltage booster is an essential item when installing a dual battery system in modern vehicle that has a low output voltage alternator. The alternator voltage booster is the simplest and cheapest way to obtain a suitable charge voltage for the main and dual battery, it will increase the alternator output voltage by approximately .5V - .6V giving a much improved charge voltage for your batteries and greatly reducing the time it takes to recharge them. Why buy an expensive DC/DC charger when the Alternator Voltage Booster will do the job better at a fraction of the cost?
    The Alternator Voltage Booster is also ideal for the following applications:
    * When a conventional lead acid battery is being replaced by a calcium hybrid type.
    * High performance engine improvements.
    * Maximising the output power on high power car audio equipment.
    If you would like to purchase an Alternator Voltage Booster please click on your car manufactures link below. For further information please refer to the FAQ area or contact our help line.

I guess this it ..thanks for the info.....

Not much mention of diodes, can't see any diode boosting anything, not exactly sure a half a volt increase, without some increase in current (amps) will do a whole lot either.

Correct, current doesn't change, nor does the voltage drop running back to the boat = there are much better solutions.

These things were invented for Toyota owners when temperature compensated alternators were introduced into their range.

Of course temperature compensated alternators were invented for a very good reason too.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

In very simple terms (it's much more complicated) an alernator puts out plenty of volts, much more than 12, it's current (amps) production is limited by various things by design, heat dissipation is a big one, so is size and weight, it produces AC, alternating current, and this needs to be converted to DC (like the battery) to charge, this is where the diode/s comes in, it's kind of like a one way valve, converting AC to DC, it is not boosting anything. Battery chargers are sold as 4amp, or 10 amp or more, at 12 volts, none are sold as 12.6 volt chargers. Now let's be very clear here, I am not knocking this product, know nothing about it, I just like to know what's what when "gizmos" are advertised or spoken about.

Why don’t you just take batteries out after every trip, it’s what I do and put on trickle charge at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁