Thread: lowrance

lowrance

any one using one of these yet
    LOWRANCE HOOK2 4X FISHFINDER GPS PLOTTER BULLET SKIMMER

Re: lowrance

I just bought one, pretty disappointed with it. Can’t run split screen, when using the sounder screen you can’t record tracks on the gps, has to be on gps screen to do that which means you can’t see the sounder. Also drops in and out and loses bottom. I got mine to replace an old mark 5 on my roof topper tiny, i’m Considering putting that back on and just using the hook 2 for gps as although the mark 5 is b&w I think it is a better sounder.
    I also looked at the garmin striker 4, if I had my time over i’d Spend the extra $50 and buy that.
    All being said a sounder gps combo for around $150 you can’t expect much.

its an extremely price point unit. when 8 years ago we sold Eagle B.W sounders with 1/16th of the resolution of what we have now.... for that price.. its.... good for the money (historically)

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by fishizzle View Post
    I just bought one, pretty disappointed with it. Can’t run split screen, when using the sounder screen you can’t record tracks on the gps, has to be on gps screen to do that which means you can’t see the sounder. Also drops in and out and loses bottom. I got mine to replace an old mark 5 on my roof topper tiny, i’m Considering putting that back on and just using the hook 2 for gps as although the mark 5 is b&w I think it is a better sounder.
    I also looked at the garmin striker 4, if I had my time over i’d Spend the extra $50 and buy that.
    All being said a sounder gps combo for around $150 you can’t expect much.

thanks for that i might change my mind about getting one
    cheers snap

Hello people. Don't know how to start a new thread so I might hijack this one. I have a Lowrance X51 , must be at least 15 years old and it has stopped working. If I press the buttons it makes all the usual noises and the depth alarm still bleeps but the screen is completely blank. Is it worth trying to fix it or should I just go for a more up to date model and if so which model? I don't want to spend too much cash if I don't have to. I took the two plugs out of the back of the unit and wd40 them but still no good. I reckon the transponder must be ok so will a brand new unit be compatible with my existing transponder? Any comments will be appreciated. CHEERS

Beagle it is a lowrance. The way to repair a lowrance is to have the main board, the display and the case replaced. This normally fixes them for a while. It does result in the unit looking completely different and having a different model number in most cases. By your symptoms, cleaning external connections will not bring the display back if you can’t bring a menu up. To replace the unit get one which suits your budget and needs. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Beagle, how about the plug on the cord, if it's 15 years old it's probably started to disintegrate and your not getting proper connection, fixed a mates by complete replacement of the plug. As Swof63 says, new one needed as they have come a long way in 15 years and you might be surprised at why you kept the old unit for so long. If you want to start a thread goto either Forum Home or from the Fishing Forum in the drop down menu, select (in this case) Electronics, and just above the forum header there is a button Post New Thread. Cheers.

Thanks fellas for confirming my suspicions. You had me thinking there swof63.............. cheeky bastard!

Any recommendations on what I should get and where to get it from?
    The boat doesn't get used a great deal, maybe 3 times per year in the freshwater chasing trout or Murray Cod and a few times on the Shoalhaven river and the occasional offshore jaunt.
    Don't really need the latest and greatest but maybe something mid range that works and is easy for an old prick to use.
    Thanks again for any advice