Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving from an Optimax 135 to a Merc 150 4 stroke .....will I regret this decision?

Re: Moving from an Optimax 135 to a Merc 150 4 stroke .....will I regret this decisio

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    I recently changed the motor on my sig 543rf from a zuk 140 to the Merc 150 four. I have also had a 135 opti the past on a different boat. Agree with all the comments above, the four is a lot quieter than the opti ( although I did love that v6 howl ), fuel economy very similar, mid-range torque of the four is actually quite surprising. Don’t miss the 2stroke smell of the DI oil in the opti. The four is not a lot heavier than the opti ( 192 v 211kg in xl I think ).
    I run a 18” enertia, revs out to 5500/40kts. Slow cruise 24kts/20 l/h( approx 3500rpm) , fast cruise 32kts/33 l/h ( 4300rpm). Has transformed the boat love the motor.
    Note: make sure you get the flow-torqueIII shock absorbing hub otherwise you get an annoying prop rattle at idle in-gear.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Will do. Thanks for your input.

Brett

Re: Moving from an Optimax 135 to a Merc 150 4 stroke .....will I regret this decisio

similar story to Duckfish in a 565....had the merc for 3 years now..I find it a little stern heavy at slow speeds ,otherwise the 150 is great fun to use ,quiet and easy to flush.Was out in Bass Strait off Venus Bay yesterday .three up and not skinny lads either and it was nice to hear the other two who both own their own boats comment on the performance of the boat with this motor.

I've had the 150 fourstroke 18 months now and had no issues at all. I can't comment on the optimax coz I upgraded from an old Johnson 50 on another boat.
    But I'll definitely second Inveratta in the ease to flush comment.
    No need to start it so I can flush the engine at home or away and not bother anyone.
    Just connect the hose and do something else for 10 minutes, easy.

It's mounted on a 6m fibreglass centre console with an enertia 15x15-3 blade prop.
    WOT is 5000-5100 rpm depending on seas and weight in the boat.
    That equates to about 39/40 knots max.
    No experience if that's good or average or bad ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Brett can I ask how the Merc compared to other brands when it came to price? Not asking how much you paid just how it compared to others. I’m in the early stages of thinking about repowering and have got a price for the merc already.
    Cheers..Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paullee View Post
    Hi Brett can I ask how the Merc compared to other brands when it came to price? Not asking how much you paid just how it compared to others. I’m in the early stages of thinking about repowering and have got a price for the merc already.
    Cheers..Paul
    Hi Paul to be frank I didn’t have a good look as weight was my biggest concern. I did compare a few years ago and found the 140 Suzuki was the cheapest then 130 yammy then the 150 merc and then the 150 yammy, I felt the 140 Suzuki and the 130 yammy filled a void in the range but were based on a smaller engines so whilst they were light enough the Merc was best suited to my boat. As for price I paid a little more than I was quoted previously but mid 18’s fitted with stainless prop but they gave me a fair trade on my engine meaning 15 ish change over. If you are keen on this engine wait for a merc promo and price will be low 17’s. note also 8 weeks wait. Brett

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Platinum Member

I picked one up on the last promo before Xmas. To go on the new boat, got it for $17,6xx with all rigging equipment, Enertia prop and the bluetooth module, which lets you record sea trial and general running info on your phone, and also see fault codes. Just need to pay them to physically hang it on the transom and connect to the gear I will have installed. This, of course, is the WA price, meaning dearer than Qld.

Well had my first run today. The boat had faster acceleration and picked up 4 to 5km top end am I disappointed???? Not at all

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

You just have to get over the old myth that 4 strokes don't have the go of a 2 stroke, it just isn't the case, hasn't been for years, might have been different back in the old carby 4 stroke days, but not now.

my 50hp yamaha 4 stroke is on the plane within a boat length or two on a 420 renegade