Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Launching failures

Launching failures

The above link is to a YouTube video, to boat launching failures.
    Made me think what other boat owners do to stop this happening.
    How many of you use chocks, and would that stop this event..
    I note that a lot of the vehicles were in gear, when dragged out of the water.
    Would be great to hear back from you all.
    David

Re: Launching failures

With 4wds I engage 4wd and leave it in gear and switched off with manuals, with auto I leave it running. With 2wd cars or utes I used to put the trailer handbrake on to launch as when the boat was being pushed off it could be enough to make car slide.

I watched a guy at Jervis Bay on the weekend come close ....... back wheels up to the arches before he managed to get back in and stomp on the brake (nice commodore ute too) .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

G'day
    We launch at a pretty steep ramp with the common slippery surface and we do get a bit of the sliding happening as I reverse down when the ramp is wet and slippery. Naturally we have the car in park and handbrake but also my wife disconnects the cable and chain, then holds the winch handle up to show to has removed it, then she sits in the vehicle and applies the brakes, I don't reverse off the trailer until I see the brake lights come on. The old disco 2 that we use as a launch vehicle could probably do with a fresh set of chunky tyres rather than than the A/T's that are on there, don't know how old they are but I suspect they are getting a little on the hard side
    Cheers
    Rod

I think the poor weather and waves on the ramp must be the problem!

Chocks tied to the boat trailer, had a scare putting boat back on trailer and Ute started slipping back on a low tide ramp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I ain't ever going to be the guy in these videos !
    so given i am launching 3t from a ranger there is a chance I go backwards when i am pulling reversing off

so
    car off
    left in 1 st gear hand brake on tight
    then most important have a steel length with flat ends one end on brake pedal and other end against drivers seat
    same thing they do when aligning your wheels at tyre place
    engages front discs creating a lot stronger hold
    and stops issue too if u just slide with locked back wheels since front wheels up in dry are also locked

i just used one of the galvanised pergola post support Holder from Bunnings
    perfect length and flat each end

tested on a hill with only this and No handbrake or anything and holds tight just by itself of course

I put the hand brake on tight and then put the trailer brakes on as well.

BigE

Common theme from a few of the clips was the handbrake was on or the vehicle was in park. Had they simply engaged 4WD (if they had it) they possibly wouldn't have ended up where they did.

Slime on ramps is a common problem at low tide, if it's bad enough, even four wheel drive won't stop the car sliding, most times it does, but, now and then......my local ramp is pretty bad, because the green slime goes a long way up the ramp, the local fishing club used to gerni it off, but some bozo complained about "stuff" going into the water and the council put a stop to it.

Ausfish Platinum Member

There was a bloke I used to watch when doing the radio shift at VMR that had a set of chocks that were tied to the back of his old Landrover. The rope was long enough to allow the chocks to be put under the wheels, and then just drag behind it as he drove up the ramp.

Cheers
    Corry
    Cheers
    Corry

The newer 4wd's are electrically engaged and don't engage when stationary, That's what the local service centre told me about my Ranger
    Cheers
    Rod

If the 4wd light stops flashing it's engaged.
    4wd and handbrake means the front wheels have to turn the brake for the ute to slip - Toyota owners won't have a clue what I'm on about.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Wheel chocks and 4wd didn't help this bloke...
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/132451...56041300867856
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

A lot of manual 4wd's are compromised because if you leave the engine running the only thing holding the whole rig is the rear brake shoes/pads (ie handbrake). I have never had a problem since I went to a Discovery 2 because (like D1, Defender, p38a Range Rover) the handbrake is a separate drum on the (all wheel drive) drive train. So all 4 wheels hold nicely. Never had an issue on any ramp with the Vagabond.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing