Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New boat coming- Caribbean Reef Runner 6.4

Re: New boat coming- Caribbean Reef Runner 6.4

Mechanical over rides are a bit different to electric hydraulic Gazza. How hard they brake is more or less dtermined by the load pushing on the car. Less load equals less braking force.

What's the chance of those short over hanging pieces of skid material near the rollers, on the side guides getting broken or damaging the boat if hit hard? not knocking anything, just curious, because pictures sometimes don't show what it is really like, and it seems like they hang out quite a bit.

Hey Ranmar,
    Nice trailer and great boat/setup. Ever thought of getting some carpet or padding that could velcro onto the rear crossbar either side of the first roller just to have on while loading? Then rip it off once boat is on and away you go, nothing to hold water on the crossbars. I know when it's windy at the ramp the bow does not always target that roller as well as we would like.
    cheers
    Muz

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    What's the chance of those short over hanging pieces of skid material near the rollers, on the side guides getting broken or damaging the boat if hit hard? not knocking anything, just curious, because pictures sometimes don't show what it is really like, and it seems like they hang out quite a bit.
    it's a bit of an optical illusion, they only overhang enough to cover the very end of the supporting bracket. There is nothing, short of running up onto a mudguard, that can damage the hull when you bring it on. It slides down onto the rollers nicely if off-centred, whether driving on or winching.

Nice trailer and great boat/setup. Ever thought of getting some carpet or padding that could velcro onto the rear crossbar either side of the first roller just to have on while loading? Then rip it off once boat is on and away you go, nothing to hold water on the crossbars. I know when it's windy at the ramp the bow does not always target that roller as well as we would like.
    The white material on the crossbar is slippery, hard and non-marking, you can hit it anywhere and it just slides down into the centre without any hull damage. Those crossbars/sidebars with the white material don't actually support anything once the boat is on the trailer--they are just there to centre the boat down onto the keel rollers. When the boat is fully on, all the weight is on the keel rollers, rear bunks and front side rollers. It appears to be a good setup. Made by Easytow in Melbourne. I could have had alloy for a similar amount of money, but I'm just not sold on them, as a) I'm not close to towing limit and weight is not a consideration, b) Most of them seem to come with rubber torsion suspension , doesn't suit my useage, OK for all-highway use , and c) still too many stories of them cracking. All of my current away favourite fishing spots are at the end of often badly corrugated, potholed roads and tracks. In contrast, my local favourite ramp is only 1.4km away. There is one closer, but I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yep, I’ve got any Easytow as well and managed to clip one of the “eyebrows” above the tail lights when driving on in a chop, made possible by someone next to me firing up on their trailer and gunning it in gear, pushing me off course at the critical time. Got to learn how to patch gel oat from that one!!!

Needless to say those eyebrows now have Teflon deflectors installed.

Probably not so much a problem for ranmar as by the sounds of it he’s not planning to drive on.

Just a note on the trailer load-bearing. With those carpeted bunks, all the weight should be on the keel rollers and the bunks should just be adjusted up to steady/balance the boat. Too much weight on the bunks can make it difficult to launch and is not necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Ranmar,

sounds like you've got it covered :-)

Cheers
    Muz,

I have looked for the old style fibreglass boat carpet replacement and cannot find it, ranmar u mentioned your using the white stuff that is PVC for alloy boats isnt it? i have seen that stuff everywhere listed with the blue and red PVC plastic sliders but the sellers mention its for alloy boats

is this it? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOAT-TRA...8AAOxy4YdTSxUg

The blue and red stuff is what you buy at boat places, a proper plastics place will sell you the right stuff for your purpose, and cut it to size if you like, just to add, it is not Teflon, and it is not the same as cheap cutting boards.

Noel do u know what the correct name is for glass boats?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I have looked for the old style fibreglass boat carpet replacement and cannot find it, ranmar u mentioned your using the white stuff that is PVC for alloy boats isnt it? i have seen that stuff everywhere listed with the blue and red PVC plastic sliders but the sellers mention its for alloy boats

is this it? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOAT-TRA...8AAOxy4YdTSxUg
    No, that isn't it. Its a profile like some of the blue stuff i've used, flat on one side , convex on the other. It just has to have the boat slide off it as you load,it's just for centring, because it doesn't actually come into contact once you are on the keel ( rubber) rollers and resting on the carpeted bunk and front wobble rollers.

Yeah mate my eyes aren't great on pics , thought it was straight metal, glad it's protected.

On the side supports, not sure how they work on a big glass boat, my last one 20 foot heavy bitch.was all roller as is our 6m yellowfin now, but if it does take a hit on rough roads the pressure will be along that line of the support. . I cracked the floor in a little tinny towing to gladstone once with front to back supports so rejgged it to side to side 'blue' supports, which spread any load across the hull where the strength is not vertically hoping to hit a 'stringer'.but spread across all the hull and its stringer strength
    Hope that makes some sense, sounds like yours sits well on the keel and side supports are wider so may not be an issue.
    Muz

Any updated fuel consumption figures from the Monties trip etc?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Noel do u know what the correct name is for glass boats?
    Take a trip to a dedicated plastics place and ask them to advise you on material, I used to have a mate in the industry and he could get me bits and pieces, I know in the Steelworks here they used to have a stainless chute thing that some kind of material used to slide down, maintenance was never ending, he supplied them with a "plastic" that lasted much longer, was cheaper and required less maintenance.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Any updated fuel consumption figures from the Monties trip etc?

49nm (90.7km) to the anchorage at Home Lagoon from the mouth of the Fortescue, started out good, went a bit sh***y, then a lot, tide running against 15 knot easterly on the stern quarter, used 77.5 litres total. On the AP, one hand on the the throttle, making the odd adjustment. This was carrying 300 litres of fuel on board in jerries, plus the 225 underfloor, plus our camping gear and a rubber ducky and 3.3 hp outboard. And 55 litre water tank full. I thought that was pretty good. Coming back , with the underfloor tank full, 20 litres in a jerry, others all empty, water mostly gone, used 75. But it was a really hard trip, spent a lot of time on and off the throttle. My more normal useage , full fuel and all fishing gear/ice, is more 0.8-0.9 NM per litre. ( 1.5 to 1.7 km/l)., at around 22 knots, and 3900 rpm. its just on 2 tonne on the water fully fuelled with two on board.

Thanks Ranmar,
    Geez you were carrying a load! Interesting that the return trip economy was essentially the same, albeit with crappier sea conditions.

Cheers
    Craig