Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: New boat coming- Caribbean Reef Runner 6.4

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: New boat coming- Caribbean Reef Runner 6.4

Much crappier conditions, 20-25 knots on the bow port quarter, strong tide running on an almost full moon. And still had all the empty jerries, and a full one, full fuel, and the camping gear, rubbish, and the rubber duckie and outboard. So we weren't really light. Odd one was standing up over wheelhouse height, I was on and off the throttle for quite a while, auto pilot on one hand on the grab rail, one on the throttle. Eventually I settled down to a steady 12-13knots, because, with the tabs, it genuinely planes at that, but still had to stop every 20 minutes as the Barcrusher 615C travelling with us kept falling out of sight behind. They were copping a real flogging, soaked even with the hardtop down, peering through that tiny slit of a windscreen. That was definitely the worst conditions I've ever had to endure in a pleasure boat for an extended period. The Reefrunner handled it really, really well, nothing under 28 ft would have been making any kind of speed across that crap, so safe and stable. Hell, the workboat drivers I know who do the crew change runs across that same stretch to the rigs reckon they pound in 28 metre cats built for the job.
    A calmish trip would probably realistically see 55-60 litres for the same trip at good speed.

Still happy with your axioms? I’m thinking of going a pro for the fish finding ability and flush mount my standard axiom to use for maps and gauges etc or go something different like a Garmin or Furuno 588!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Is the reef Runner 6.4 LOA or actual hull length?

Best just go the full hog and go to the 2400

Attachment 119559

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member

Still very happy with the Axiom/Axiom Pro network. Tend to use 9" Pro for charts on the way out on a long trip, with the 7" RV for dashboard. Then swap to 9" for fish and 7 for charts. So customisable, haven't found anything that frustrates or limits me. Now to get the UAV app working with my Mavic Pro . Wait, one thing that refuses to be sorted. There is an issue with getting a sea surface temp up with the motor on, Merc 150 4 stroke. Fine with the ignition off. Raymarine forum mods , after looking at it for a while, advised me to find someone who knew the Merc gateway, to get that input disabled. The problem is that the source for seawater temp cannot be selected manually, as most other inputs can be. The seawater temp is there, but I have to go into the Transducer menu to see it when the motor is running. So there is that one thing.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I'll measure it tomorrow, I think that is hull length.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    49nm (90.7km) to the anchorage at Home Lagoon from the mouth of the Fortescue, started out good, went a bit sh***y, then a lot, tide running against 15 knot easterly on the stern quarter, used 77.5 litres total. On the AP, one hand on the the throttle, making the odd adjustment. This was carrying 300 litres of fuel on board in jerries, plus the 225 underfloor, plus our camping gear and a rubber ducky and 3.3 hp outboard. And 55 litre water tank full. I thought that was pretty good. Coming back , with the underfloor tank full, 20 litres in a jerry, others all empty, water mostly gone, used 75. But it was a really hard trip, spent a lot of time on and off the throttle. My more normal useage , full fuel and all fishing gear/ice, is more 0.8-0.9 NM per litre. ( 1.5 to 1.7 km/l)., at around 22 knots, and 3900 rpm. its just on 2 tonne on the water fully fuelled with two on board.
    Found my misplaced dashboard screenshots. These are with the 15x15 Enertia I am now running. These numbers were normally loaded, full fuel, ice and fushing gear. Wind was 15-20 knots almost beam on, 2 metre swell, but blowing offshore and I was only 400 metres off the beach, so not much sea. These numbers would be typical, but I have seen it go to 1nm/litre. WOT in those conditions, that day, was 5600, 35 kts, 0.6nm/litre.

Good numbers for the conditions! Did you test the 4 blade revolution props at all? Think I might go that way if I end up getting mercs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

That seems pretty reasonable for a 150 on a 24 ft boat. Where did you start with props?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Started with an Enertia 14 1/2 x 17. This seems to be accepted for this motor and hull combination over here, quite popular. I know one guy who went 14 1/2 x 18, and got excellent numbers light, 42 knots @5600 IIRC. But then the real fitout started and and he was well overpropped, went down to the 14 1/2 x 17. My intial seatrial, which i covered earlier, gave pretty good numbers with the original 17P, dealersaid we should go down an inch, so gave me a 26P, and all we did was lose significant speed for the same RPM. he rang around, said stick wih the 17P, gave it back. I was really happy with cruise speed numbers and consumption, butas i added more gear to get to completion, I was struggling to get the minimum 5200. So i tried a 15 x15 Enerria picked up s/hand, seems to fit the bill. but I have never seen the 5800 max rpm. It lifted onto the plane with all that Monties trip load with no hesitation and no tabs, so I reckon it's right enough.
    loking at the comparison figures for the 200 Yamaha on the same boat, they were identical rpm vs speed until you hit the rev max, and the Yamaha then went four knots more, with more rpm. Would I buy the same motor again , for the same boat? The only time I would like more HP is when it is absolute glass, somewhere like Exmouth gulf where you run a long way. Then it would be nice to have a fast cruise of 30 knots vs 26 knots. New 200 Merc would get the nod. Otherwise, if you are looking at the dollars, I'd stay the same. Low 20's cruise is all you generally need or can use over here, anyway.

Thanks mate, I've just picked up a new 225 so will be keen to see how it compares. Current prop is a 17" Enertia. Hoping to get it wet for the first time next week.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    That seems pretty reasonable for a 150 on a 24 ft boat. Where did you start with props?
    24ft boat?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    Is the reef Runner 6.4 LOA or actual hull length?

Just measured it as close as I could get. From the point of the bow (minus bowsprit) to to top of the transom, it comes to just on 6.4 metres. Bowsprit is an extra 400mm.