Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New boat coming- Caribbean Reef Runner 6.4

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: New boat coming- Caribbean Reef Runner 6.4

in reply to ranmars origonal post ( the post was to long to quote lol) thats what its all about old mate, no point dying with super in the bank looking at other guys from the beach while u sit and wonder, thats what id be doin gettting the boat i want and hittin it as long as i can, if thats what makes you happy then its good your going for it, i hope you have many more years or fun fishing your new rig mate..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ausfish Platinum Member

Thanks for that, that is the intention.

Ausfish Platinum Member

They were meant to be done last Friday, but they were running late due to a small matter of the wiring loom ordered being too short . it was running in the yard Friday afternoon, but it was getting late, so I agreed to take it home and he would come up Monday morning. Then he couldn't come, so i did it myself. School holidays aren't the best time to be doing top speed runs in the river, especially if you are restricting yourself the the short stretch above the pens, you run out of room very quickly. So this is what Vesselview Mobile showed on my phone.

I'm not sure I was getting optimum revs and trim, so I'll be doing a very early morning run before the traffic gets on the river to see if I can better it. Merc state 5000-5800. If not, they'll exchange me for a 14.5x16, currently running a 17. I had 2 POB and 150 litres of fuel, just regular safety gear, so there's a bit more weight to go on yet. Certainly no lack of grunt out of the hole, she just jumps up and goes. I can't get the motor to talk to the network, don't know what the problem is there. there has been quite a bit of swell running up here--certainly more than I would recommend that someone take a small boat through, but I went outside for a run. Certainly the worst rivermouth I've ever been through in a trailerboat, and she handled it well. Outside, while there was no wind, it was really sloppy and stirred up, obviously a good souwester blowing outside. Put that on top of the swell, and it wasn't a good day for going fast in any direction. But I could do 16-18 knots , and nothing I've previously owned would be able to sustain more than 10 knots in those conditions.

Plenty more work to do yet--need to fit the winch , extra lighting, stereo, outriggers, odds and ends.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I tried another run this morning at first light, which gave me more room for a top speed run in the river, but according to the VVM, I got 38.5 knots @ 5450 rpm (managed to lose the screenshot) So we'll be trying a 16P.

Ausfish Platinum Member

B175M is a very tight fit between the transom and the fuel tank.

Panel is more or less complete

I had the Seastar recessed hel fiited to get a bit more room behind the wheel when standing.

[/QUOTE]
    I can't get the motor to talk to the network, don't know what the problem is there.[/QUOTE]

I've been going through this with a different system to yours but I hope I can offer some insight.
    My own system has a vessel view 4 (Merc 150 Four Stroke) and a Simrad NSS EVO, I'm trying to get accurate fuel data - i think I'll be better off using the "fuel used" calculations along with the vessel view input to get an idea of fuel remaining on the Simrad as opposed to using a fuel level sensor in the tank. ( I may be wrong)

Short story - to get the most accurate fuel used data I've ordered a fuel flow sensor to hook into a network.
    Anyway, the vessel view and and other sensors you have need to be configured in the Raymarine unit you have.
    The Simrad unit has an auto search function to look for external network inputs, but you should be able to "force" a different input in the settings somewhere in the Raymarine setup/network configurations.
    I'm not suggesting you get any sensors, I'm suggesting there could be a network search function required to get the VV and the Raymraine unit to talk to each other.

Your rig is looking awesome- well done.

Jamie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations, simply outstanding, one of the most beautiful boats ever built. Very neat helm area.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Thanks for that. I've used the search function for engine data, tells me none is found. I've plugged into the NMEA 2000 gateway to the Mercmonitor. tried a few things, resetting/rebooting made sure the MM is on Transmit--one thing I noticed today was that my software version on the Axioms had reverted to 3.3xxx, after I had installed the update on both via SD card before installation. So I updated everything via wifi in my driveway , so easy. I haven't tried to get engine data since, will try again tomorrow. I'll try to do a manual search for the motor as a Data Source, instead of auto.

Coming together.

Yes that is a tight fit for the transducer. How is the 175M performing ?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Too early to say. i went outside briefly but it was very crappy and I was more concerned with the general behaviour of the boat. I did notice I was getting a good picture as I was idling along in swell and slop, that's about it.

LOL. yes there would be certainly to much going on in your head at present and things to play with.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I went to sea for the first time yesterday, more of an extended sea trial than a real fishing trip. The dealer had given me another prop in an effort to get the max 5800rpm, but, instead, it just lost me 2.5 knots and gave me the same revs--this time, 36 knots at 5490. I was slightly heavier, with a bit of fishing gear on board, but it couldn't have been more than 45 kg of fish , ice and gear all up. compared to my previous runs. So he has gone back to the drawing board--I'd be happy just to get the original one back.
    Happy with everything else--the RV-100 Autopilot is awesome, trim tabs now work ( switch was faulty out of the box), I've talked about the Axioms in the Electronics thread. The day was largely windless, but there was a strong cold front going through below us, and the wind wasn't far away, so the sea was a little lumpy. But she rode very well, 24 knots at 3700, 20 knots at 3400. It was showing a L/hr, couldn't get it to read NM/L, but it looked to be 1 nm /litre, consumption followed speed.

After catching up on some work around the house this morning, then got back onto the boat this afternoon. Under-gunwhale LED's are now complete.

Tomorrow I'll be getting into the overhead lighting , GPS aerial and remote spot.

Ausfish Platinum Member

getting there--Got the remote spotlight, external GPS, extra cabin light and overhead LED's installed. I was stumped for a while with somewhere to install the control panel; the remote controlled spot has an actual hard-wired joystick and switch on a panel, as I couldn't bring myself to hand over money, however little, for a chinese wireless remote model. The dash was full, and this needs to be easily accessible and mounted in the right plane. Then I realised the answer was staring me in the face--the Reefrunner hardtop has a good void running across the front , probably for reinforcing where it mounts on the screen, but also useful for running wiring across. Getting it up there is another matter, but I'll come to that later.

The existing that came on the boat going to the hardtop--wipers, anchor light, cabin light--is run up through the centre of the windscreen frame, but, to get there, it is completely sealed under the cabin lining carpet--you would have to either run it surface or pull the carpet off and re-install.Neither of those thoughts appealed. I have seen people run wiring in split flex conduit up the s/s hardtop supports, or drill holes top and bottom and run it inside them. Again didn't appeal. I had bought a few lengths of the sticky-backed oval conduit to extend the extra cabin light, which is what Darren did with his build , and is what the boatbuilders do if you want more light towards the rear if the canopy. I realised this was the width of the side window frames--voila, we have a solution. Bring the wiring up in a hole right on the end of the frame, cut some of the conduit to size, and you have a route up to the front of the hardtop, with only a little wiring showing at the top. hardly noticeable, compared to the alternatives.

This let me get the GPS aerial cable up one side, and the power for the remote spot up the other. But how to get wiring to the back of the canopy for an LED worklight each side, which will illuminate the gunwhales and the water? Again, it was looking at me. The side clears have their top track mounted on a sturdy piece of Starboard full length of the canopy either side, and it has a nice wide blank bit above the track, which you can see until you fold the Sunbrella down. This is the conduit installed

And this is the finished job. I put a short piece of the stuff off the end to keep the wiring tight against the underside.

It's back in the shed now and I'm back at work. I only have to install the waterbladder, and associated wiring pump and plumbing to have the basic stuff finished. Then, the drum winch awaits--there will be a bit in that, as the bulkhead requires reinforcing, but I have some marine ply , and all the resin etc ready. I reckon a day for the glassing, then another day for the actual install of the winch body, as I can run the cabling while the initial cure is happening.

Them clears looks awesome u must have quiet a bit of coin to chuck around

Ausfish Platinum Member

They are nice clears, those are the standard option for clears for that boat. They have started using Sunbrella instead of vinyl for the surrounds, reckon it will last a lot longer. IIRC, they were a $920 option, which is OK because it includes the mounting for the top track, machined from Starboard--I paid $600 for a very basic set of clears for my last boat, nowhere near as good, or big, as these.
    I started out on this build with the firm belief I was going to do everything right, without going gold-plated, because I have been saving money on boats all my life, and this will likely be the last one