Thread: Water filter seperator

Water filter seperator

I am getting to the end of a full restoration to my Swiftcraft Dominator and I'm putting all components back in (my new boat). Before the restoration I had a water oil filter mounted to the back of the boat, now that I have raised platforms at the rear for batteries and components etc. and have nowhere to mount my old water separator other than on the inside of the transom above my floor well, this isn't ideal and will hinder removing my new floor grate over the well.

I have a Yamaha F150 2013 model with a 100ltr underfloor SS tank, the motor has an inbuilt water separator/ fuel filter under the cowling but its quite small, my question is is it necessary to have this primary aftermarket separator/ filter or would I get away with the inbuilt one.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Dan,

Re: Water filter seperator

I would certainly recommend keeping it.

As above. I had issues with water in fuel at one point and for ever after, I would check the glass bowl throughout the day. It is a bit harder to do if you need to get under the cowling.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

I have not drained my external separator for a long time. However the extra layer of protection from particles as well as water is one more piece of the puzzle that keeps a day out enjoyable.
    Bit like a bilge pump, flares, epirb, floaty things. Pain in the arse, extra expense, take up room, but I’d rather have them and not need them than sink/drown/paddle etc.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, my issue is removing my well grate, I am steering way from mounting the separator in the battery compartment, it does have some ventilation but I'm guessing its not the place for a mixture of electricity and fuel. My only other option is a small compact unit, I have 270mm of clear space in height and the separator i have is 255mm which will not let me get the grate out.

Does anyone know of a filter /separator unit that's around 200mm high, I'm struggling to find one.

Just need to make sure that whatever you get is capable of the required flow rate to avoid creating a restriction. There are options that don't have the glass bowl (don't like these so much personally) and some of the old CAV style filters aren't as deep from memory.