Thread: Launching 5.2 fibreglass boat at Cowan Cowan morton island

Launching 5.2 fibreglass boat at Cowan Cowan morton island

Hi guys looking for info from people who lave launched larger fibreglass boats from the western beach at morton I'm going to morton with a large group in march and we will all have boats but mainly 4m Tinnys and I will have the biggest being a 5.2 seafarer viking was thinking of pulling it out every day and leaving it above the high tide line on the trailer out of the way from passing 4wds as I don't think I will be able to get it up onto the camp site will be camped at Cowan Cowan back about 500m from concreat blocks on beach

Re: Launching 5.2 fibreglass boat at Cowan Cowan morton island

Very doable as long as no westerly in the wind.....quite shallow so may need an extended draw bar unless you can find a nice gutter, other option would be down at the wrecks where it drops off nice and deep straight from the beach and drive back up if you have issues with it being shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Very doable as long as no westerly in the wind.....quite shallow so may need an extended draw bar unless you can find a nice gutter, other option would be down at the wrecks where it drops off nice and deep straight from the beach and drive back up if you have issues with it being shallow.
    Yea I was going to extend the drawbar any way

South of the wrecks would be easiest at low tide, though can't see an issue. Was over there at Christmas checking it out to do the same.

If westerly blowing it glasses out around the corner as well.

I wouldn't drag it up the beach someone would hit it for sure, stick it on the trailer and park in the soft stuff overnight.

Unless there are westerlies predicted I'd probably just leave it in the water the whole time. We leave our boat anchored out the front of the campsite north of cowan for 4 days at a time with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    Unless there are westerlies predicted I'd probably just leave it in the water the whole time. We leave our boat anchored out the front of the campsite north of cowan for 4 days at a time with no problems.
    How far out do you anchor and do you use just one big sand anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by 94patrol View Post
    Anchor up at low tide so you know your deep enough becasue if it roughs up you don't want your boat banging up and down on the bottom all night. I use 15M of chain which is overkill but then its always good to see the boat still there in the morning. There are some stories of dipshits vandalising boats out there but not had any issue personally and done it 20 odd times I guess. And yes one good anchor with plenty of chain is best,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by 94patrol View Post
    We usually drop anchor a fair way out and let maybe 20 or 30 odd metres of rope out and try and leave the boat out past the low tide mark as Crunchy says you dont want it banging on the beach at low tide. This way works well if you dont a bit of a swim if the tides in when you want to go for a fish.

The other way we anchor during winter is with 2 anchors and one rope. You tie the rope off at the fromt of the boat and run it out through the front anchor in deep water then continue the rope through a second anchor on shore then tie it off at the stern of the boat.

With this set up you can pull the boat in and out from the anchor on shore, we usually tie a bit of a knot in the rope at the shore anchor to stop the boat drifting in/out. You do need a fair amount of rope for tjis at Moreton as it the tide does go out a fair way at low.

Are there mooring buoys you can tie up to ?
    I presume you would need to leave single white light on ?
    Have fun.

Mooring buoys are all private at Cowan, and yes you need to leave the white light on at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

patrol94

Not sure if this will interest you for securing the boat and keeping it away from tea leaves but it one of the methods we use.

"Potentially more satisfactory and safer is to secure the boat via a paynter tied to an endless loop attached to the end of the normal anchor chain so the boat is free to rotate around the end of the paynter / chain end and so face current and waves / wind in deep water with the endless loop laying along the bottom until it reaches land to be attached to a tree or another anchor."

Here is a picture of mine at Sth Stradbroke with the end of the loop emerging and tied off to another anchor on the beach.

Cheers
    Chimo27JulyM&G AF001.jpg
    What could go wrong.......................