Thread: Help needed on cheap inflatable rig for dam fishing

Help needed on cheap inflatable rig for dam fishing

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a small cheap inflatable rig for dam fishing for my 6yo son and me for when we go camping.

Not looking for anything expensive just something cheap that'll get us through a bit of fishing and crayfishing. If required I can put a small false floor in it and add a small motor later on.

The boats I've been looking at are Intex excursion 4 and 5, Intex Seahawk 4, sevylor fishhunter 360, best way voyager 500, sevylor colossus 4.

Can anyone suggest a good cheap rig? I will mainly be fishing Wivenhoe dam with my son. Also any other information on setup and motor would be much appreciated.

Cheers Michael

Re: Help needed on cheap inflatable rig for dam fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Parrot_King View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a small cheap inflatable rig for dam fishing for my 6yo son and me for when we go camping.

Not looking for anything expensive just something cheap that'll get us through a bit of fishing and crayfishing. If required I can put a small false floor in it and add a small motor later on.

The boats I've been looking at are Intex excursion 4 and 5, Intex Seahawk 4, sevylor fishhunter 360, best way voyager 500, sevylor colossus 4.

Can anyone suggest a good cheap rig? I will mainly be fishing Wivenhoe dam with my son. Also any other information on setup and motor would be much appreciated.

Cheers Michael
    https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/
    Last time i was in their Rockhampton shop they had some 3.odd mtr inflatables with 5HP outboards for aprox $1900 odd ..Was going to buy one for my Caravanning adventures , ended up buying another tinny instead ??..
    Check their range out..

Lloyds auctions always has inflatables going fairly cheap so it may pay to keep an eye on there site too..
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Secondhand thundercat your boy will thankyou for it and cheap!

be aware of motor restrictions on wivenhoe no 2 strokes and 6 knot speed limit.
    Cheers
    Ray

I have the sevylor fishunter 280 with minn kota 28 electric motor. Got both for $150 on gumtree. I use as my tender around moreton bay islands. Had 4 adults and 2 kids in it - not recommended nearly a funniest home video.

Usually ride with 2 to 3 and does it comfortably.

Have 2 x 20amp batteries, cost as much as boat and motor. About 2 hours run time at flat out. About 5 to 6 at mid setting.

Cheers Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Micadogs View Post
    I have the sevylor fishunter 280 with minn kota 28 electric motor. Got both for $150 on gumtree. I use as my tender around moreton bay islands. Had 4 adults and 2 kids in it - not recommended nearly a funniest home video.

Usually ride with 2 to 3 and does it comfortably.

Have 2 x 20amp batteries, cost as much as boat and motor. About 2 hours run time at flat out. About 5 to 6 at mid setting.

Cheers Adam
    Thanks Adam,

your setup sounds exactly like what I'm after. Do you have any other assessories on the boat like false floor, seats, fish finder or battery box? Would you happen to have some photos you could post or send me?

can I ask how the 28lb minn Kota goes on the boat with 2 or 3 people? Also what sort of fishing do you do in the boat?

cheers mike

Hi Mike

I made two seats that sit across the boat, makes it heaps easier to sit in and also get in and out. Bought a sheet of 600 x 900mm marine ply, cut to 300mm wide and to length, sanded edges round and varnished.

Batteries sit under rear seat and out of the way.

Didnt put a floor in, heaps of video's and pattern available on Google for the sevylor.

I have the MM3 transom also.

Goes good with MK 28, I estimate ~7 klms per hour. Tide and wind doesnt seem to affect it.

I use as a tender, so havent fished out of it. I inflate and deflate for every use. Takes about 6 to 7 mins to inflate and about 8 to9bmins to put on transom, put motor on connect batteries. On way to shore in 15mins.

My parents are 70, get into and out of it ok onto swim platform.

I have some pics, I will PM you my email address and send that way.

Cheers Adam